The Event Guide (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
Anybody know where it all went wrong?
It used to be a great read, particularly the gig guide with little previews etc.
Thats all gone by the wayside now, might as well be reading the Herald...

Theres definitely an opening in the market for a free weekly/ forthnightly events publication. I spent a few months in Sydney and there were loads of them, really good quality too..

Just wondering...

they stopped paying the writers, pretty simple.
Jimcorr said:
Anybody know where it all went wrong?
It used to be a great read, particularly the gig guide with little previews etc.
Thats all gone by the wayside now, might as well be reading the Herald...

Theres definitely an opening in the market for a free weekly/ forthnightly events publication. I spent a few months in Sydney and there were loads of them, really good quality too..

Just wondering...

Yeah, I agree with you Jim. It's been dreadful for well over a year, with no revamp or anything in years. It's dated and useless at the moment.

The little gig previews used to throw up some gems, now it's just links to official websites, what the fuck use is that to a tourist on the hop? And the "feature" writing is little more than press releases with a fluffed up intro.

There is a real opening for someone to bury it once and for all, but any competitors in the past seemed to have run out of steam rather quickly. I think of a good few of them, from The Slate to Ryans Gig Guide, that really had the potential but just disappeared...

The Event Guide Rules!!!

Incidentally, there will be some direct competition(as in a regular free publication) to it appearing soon.
The ryan gig guide was a sham at the end and when it went they neglected to pay their writers what they were owed.

Is that endemic with music writing in Ireland? Event Guide don't pay their writers, Ryans Guide didn't pay theirs, Hot Press pay theirs fuck all and when they ask for more they get few commissions as there's younger saps willing to do the work (hello Tanya!)... I'm sure there's more. So what's the story?

the event guide had some real good writers but the graphics were truly appalling, and form some reason they started off the first few pages with theatre stuff which traditionally isnt a big pick up. if advertisers don't see a good pick up, they stop advertising. the ad count and page count both seem to have decreased in last 12 months to the point where it now looks like it's on its last legs.

pity, it used to be a good read in parts.

yeah, it was a pretty stupid layout... how they didn't cop that years ago is beyond me... who goes to ballet and theatre? fucking no one, that's who.
Jim A. Morrish said:
the event guide had some real good writers but the graphics were truly appalling, and form some reason they started off the first few pages with theatre stuff which traditionally isnt a big pick up. if advertisers don't see a good pick up, they stop advertising. the ad count and page count both seem to have decreased in last 12 months to the point where it now looks like it's on its last legs.

pity, it used to be a good read in parts.

one of the best free weekly mags I have ever had the pleasure of reading on a regular basis was a Sydney mag. called Revolver...anyone know it ?

this covered all manner of sounds, film, books, exhibitions, had great interviews, good graphics (for a free mag) and was nice and had a nice, glossy cover...

it was nice

hag said:
yeah, it was a pretty stupid layout... how they didn't cop that years ago is beyond me... who goes to ballet and theatre? fucking no one, that's who.
I'm sure plenty of people do go to ballet and the theatre but I really doubt they would depend on the event guide listings for info about shows .

i was being flippant. i live for theatre, it's my life. theatre and cerebral dramatics.
spiritualtramp said:
I'm sure plenty of people do go to ballet and the theatre but I really doubt they would depend on the event guide listings for info about shows .

only in my dreams... actually, in my dreams, i'm a flamenco dancer, or, more generally, an suave ballroom dancer. and golden is always the resident band. (i actually had this dream... for anyone who knows the golden album 'apollo stars', they were playing the last song throughout the dream... the girl i was dancing with was a beautiful senorita with a dazzling diamond-like sequen dress...) and i'm not gay!!!
spiritualtramp said:
do you live for ballet too ?

hag said:
only in my dreams... actually, in my dreams, i'm a flamenco dancer, or, more generally, an suave ballroom dancer. and golden is always the resident band. (i actually had this dream... for anyone who knows the golden album 'apollo stars', they were playing the last song throughout the dream... the girl i was dancing with was a beautiful senorita with a dazzling diamond-like sequen dress...) and i'm not gay!!!
speaking of dreams , hervs flatmate gave us this african leaf thing to smoke , I have no idea what it is called and it tastes just foul . it gives you really really nice dreams and you sleep like a baby . most pleasant :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back