The Departed (1 Viewer)

just watched it there and i was pretty impressed.
at one point in the movie (bit where martin sheen and leonardo di caprios characters meet on the rooftop) it really didnt feel like i was watching a martin scorcese movie. bit more formulaic than his usual outings but still had his trademark use of soundtrack and fast cutting.
excellent stuff

I enjoyed the film. Not very Scorseseish though, but has he done anything like this before? A film with as much focus on the cops as the gangsters?

Heard that he is not doing Hollywood stuff anymore and is just doing independant releases.

Saw this last night. Was alright. Fuckin hate Matt Damon but nicholson made up for him, and baldwin kept his place as world's best actor in my book.

Anyways, question

SPOILER

The envelope that dicaprio gives yer one at the end and tells her to open it if he ever dies, what was in it? It seemed to dissappear when that scene was over.

Saw this last night. Was alright. Fuckin hate Matt Damon but nicholson made up for him, and baldwin kept his place as world's best actor in my book.

Anyways, question

SPOILER

The envelope that dicaprio gives yer one at the end and tells her to open it if he ever dies, what was in it? It seemed to dissappear when that scene was over.

SPOILER

Dude, it had a tape in it that recorded the conversation twixt nicholson and damon in the cinema. Yer wan played it in the flat, remember?

SPOILER

Dude, it had a tape in it that recorded the conversation twixt nicholson and damon in the cinema. Yer wan played it in the flat, remember?

no that was the envelope addressed to Matt Damon. the letter he wrote to her was more than likely explaining who he was and what he had been doing (ie. a cop and not a criminal, and undercover blah blah - maybe also something about her having a butt that won't quit.)

I watched The Departed tonight. It was ok, a bit disappointing. There were some fairly ropey plot holes in it. The acting was ok although some of the cast seemed to struggle with the Boston accent. Jack Nicholson was irritating in it. What do ye recommend now?

The acting was ok although some of the cast seemed to struggle with the Boston accent. [/quote]

I think Ray Winstone was struggling with an American accent, never mind a Boston one.

I watched The Departed tonight. It was ok, a bit disappointing. There were some fairly ropey plot holes in it. The acting was ok although some of the cast seemed to struggle with the Boston accent. Jack Nicholson was irritating in it. What do ye recommend now?

I recommend you shutup! :p
actually, though, Nicholson was great but his accent was ropey. certain words were accentuated, but that was it really. what plot holes did you find?

Ok maybe plot holes is too strong a term but things that struck me as a bit stupid. SPOILER ALERT! - The Matt Damon character stabs the lad in the alleyway and then realises there's CCTV footage close by and he looks up at it. Later we see him looking at the footage. It's funny that someone investigating the assault/murder of the guy in the alley wouldn't have found the same footage and at the very least questioned Damon after he spent ages staring into the damn camera.

The other thing that annoyed me alot more was they were tryna find the rat in their gang and there was only 5 guys in the gang. If it wasn't the Fitz guy, or Mr. French etc you have a very narrow group of suspects or so it is implied by the film. Who the hell did they think was in the building?

When they are collecting the drugs and surrounded by what seems to be a small army of cops how do all the cops other than Damon disappear for a good 5 minutes while he has time to have a death duel with Nicholson and the like?

When DiCaprio has it figured out who Damon is could he not just have sought out Wahlberg's character?

The extra guy working for nicholson in the cops was sprung out of nowhere.
I also found the ending a tad annoying, like a partial deus-ex-machina. I know we're deliberately led one way and then they bring it the other way but I found it silly.

Well there's my silly rant over.

Just saw this last night. Thought it was rappih.
Mat Damon + caprio + wahlberg were great. DeCaprio was convincing as a tough guy. I've started appreciating him as an actor ever since I saw blood diamond. Matt Damon is an excellent actor.
Here's johnny was terrible i thought. I didnt have the fear of him at all.
Matt+leonardos girlfriend would get it.

Ok maybe plot holes is too strong a term but things that struck me as a bit stupid. SPOILER ALERT! - The Matt Damon character stabs the lad in the alleyway and then realises there's CCTV footage close by and he looks up at it. Later we see him looking at the footage. It's funny that someone investigating the assault/murder of the guy in the alley wouldn't have found the same footage and at the very least questioned Damon after he spent ages staring into the damn camera.

The other thing that annoyed me alot more was they were tryna find the rat in their gang and there was only 5 guys in the gang. If it wasn't the Fitz guy, or Mr. French etc you have a very narrow group of suspects or so it is implied by the film. Who the hell did they think was in the building?

When they are collecting the drugs and surrounded by what seems to be a small army of cops how do all the cops other than Damon disappear for a good 5 minutes while he has time to have a death duel with Nicholson and the like?

When DiCaprio has it figured out who Damon is could he not just have sought out Wahlberg's character?

The extra guy working for nicholson in the cops was sprung out of nowhere.
I also found the ending a tad annoying, like a partial deus-ex-machina. I know we're deliberately led one way and then they bring it the other way but I found it silly.

Well there's my silly rant over.

do you review all films on how they compare to reality?

Finally got to see this last night after buying it on DVD months ago and walking out of the cinema when it was on after 10 mins (too many knackers on phones).

Two words: Master Fucuking Piece.

The Bridge: Deadly. Depressing but deadly.

Copland: Hadn't seen it in ages and didn't remember any of it. Great movie, amazing cast, though found De Niro kind of disapointing, there was a lot of rupert pupkin about his performance. Liotta and Kietel more than made up for it.

Film was good but not great, ripped of LA confidential alot in my humble opinion.

Infernal Affairs, shurely?

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie-the first twenty mins are vintage Scorsese: it just roars across the screen-but I don't think it's a masterpiece.
Jack phones in a performane and Little Leo is no Tony Leung plus the 'love-triangle' sub-plot was farcical & therefore distracting.

Anyone hear about those sad Gerard McSorley stories during the pre-production of this?
Oof.

The Bridge: Deadly. Depressing but deadly.

Copland: Hadn't seen it in ages and didn't remember any of it. Great movie, amazing cast, though found De Niro kind of disapointing, there was a lot of rupert pupkin about his performance. Liotta and Kietel more than made up for it.
I'm an idiot, for some reason i thought this was the "what film did you watch last night" thread. *sigh* I am planning on watching this again later though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back