The Bronx, Large Mound and House of Mexico Whelans gig on Friday (1 Viewer)

Deaglan

Website
www.goodluckski.com
THE BRONX

+ Large Mound

+ House of Mexico

Whelan’s, Wexford St. Ph: 01 478 0766

Fri 14th May. Doors 8pm.

Even before the release of their ferocious self-titled debut album on Wichita (Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Bright Eyes) in February; much had been written and talked about LA punks The Bronx - mostly due to their notoriously full-on live shows.

Media interest ahead of this their first full European tour has been intense and extreme with NME describing them as 'the best live band in the world' and making them their #2 tip for 2004 (after Franz Ferdinand), MTV's Zane Lowe describing them as 'the hottest new band in America 2004' and Kerrang! declaring them 'furious, thrilling and essential as punk can get, The Bronx are the hardest, smartest band to emerge from LA since Black Flag' in a 5 star album review.

Dare you come decide for yourself?

THE BRONX

Hugely anticipated debut full length from LA punx.

The album, recorded with Gilby Clarke (Guns ‘n’ Roses), is a ferocious affair recorded live at various peoples houses at weird hours of the night on loads of uppers, cigarettes and coffee. With no headphones, no pro-tools and a strict 3-take rule policy during recordings
“Just imagine what they can accomplish when their debut album comes and smacks us in the face. Be excited.”
(Kerrang!)
“Proper man’s rock” (NME)
“Get in on the act now, so when they unleash their debut album, you can be telling everyone you were way ahead of the pack.” (Metal Hammer)
“These LA punks are for real.” (i-D).
Having recently toured the UK with the Distillers, The Bronx will be playing as special guests with Lostprophets.

Our album was recorded in a live setting – with the exception of 3 tracks. equipment was set up in a room, large pieces of foam were placed between the amplifiers and drum kit to keep the different instruments from bleeding together, some mics were stood up and someone pressed record...didn’t even use headphones.

while strictly adhering to the 3 take rule, there are mistakes, off notes, miss-hits, and out of tune instruments. most people would call that a poor recording, we call it music… the way music is actually played. the way it sounds live is the way it is going to be heard. this album was made at peoples houses at weird hours of the night on loads of uppers, cigarettes and coffee.

the first session for this record was done in a friends renovated garage in Los Angeles. these tracks were not recorded live only because of the size of the room we were working with. we could barely fit the drum kit and mics in the tracking room. it was so small that our drummer actually had to sit at his kit, then have the mics placed after he was in. no kidding. the drum tracks were laid down from memory before any other instrument was recorded (or other band members had even arrived for that matter). yes, he is that good.

these tracks were written the night before we recorded them, in a borrowed rehearsal studio, where we completely stripped and reworked each song to our satisfaction. that session lasted 2 days and the result was heart attack american, white tar, and strobe life.

the next session was with gilby clarke at his home in Los Angeles where I talked his face off about axl and slash. the majority of my time there was spent questioning gilby about guns n roses rather then focusing on my guitar playing. but, the tracks came out nice, and gilby let me use some of his guitars which were far superior then the ones I have. so it sounds good. all of the songs we completed in the session were tracked live. the result of this session was false alarm, notice of eviction, and kill my friends.

for the last session, we returned to gilby's house. the songs written for this session were the result of lots of frustration over people close to us passing away, seeing a person get shot 7 times and trying to stop the blood gushing from bullet holes in his neck, a couple overdoses, having no money, not being able to drive anywhere because of warrants, unpaid tickets and no insurance, and basically having Los Angeles kick us in the teeth every day. once again - all songs were tracked live, and we even let gilby sing on a song. the result was; i got chills, they will kill us all (without mercy), cobra lucha and gun without bullets.

theses days rock is dead, punk - we won't even go there, and emo dudes are carrying purses. music... well, music is exactly where it should be.

fuck your silverlakes, fuck your melroses, fuck your sunset strips. this is Hollywood Blvd. just a bunch of junkies, hookers, pimps and bookies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back