The 16 Biggest Reasons to Have Your Own Website (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
got this via the mr nialler9 tweetering this morning. Is well worth thinking about, facebookers.

This started as a comment on a Digital Music News story last month, has since been reposted on a number of blogs, and is still getting re-tweeted. It was authored by Constantine Roussos of .music, whose startup is pushing to create and develop the .music domain extension. The top 16 reasons...

1. You own your website.

2. You are branding your artist/band name - not a third party website.

3. You never know if that third party website will exist in the future or be as relevant. What happens to all that work that you put into the third party to help them create THEIR brand not yours (eg, MP3.com shutting down)? How much time was devoted by artists on MySpace the past 5 years? All your "friends" left and unless you captured their email through your official site, then you are in trouble.

4. You control your search engine results. Be ranked #1 for your artist/band name. If you have your own dedicated domain name it is easier and also you can receive search "juice" or "pagerank" to your official page by linking to your official site from social sites as well as others linking to you.

5. It is a long-term strategy.

6. Visitors to your website have a much higher sales conversion ratio than third party sites.

7. You control all the content and brand image.

8. You portray professionalism. Would anyone in the press take you more seriously if you had a website - versus not having one? First impressions count.

9. You can funnel and aggregate all your social media and widgets in one location, where it is convenient for your fans to find information about you

10. Flexibility: you can create polls and add any programming, widgets or any modules of your choice without being limited to third party restrictions.

11. You have no fear of being deleted because you are being too "commercial".

12. You can own your shopping cart and keep more profit for your sales.

13. You can add your own advertising and sponsors on your page.

14. You can offer product bundles and competitions for your fans.

15. You can build credibility with your fans, create a fan club area for your superfans as well as dedicated message boards to interact with your fans.

16) Invest in yourself and not others. Websites are like cheap virtual real estate property. Why wouldn't you invest in your domain name for only the costs of a few Starbuck coffees a year?

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/stories/091610websitereasons

you should have yourband.com instead of just having facebook.com/yourband myspace.com/yourband friendster.com/yourband twitter.com/yourband. Have them all, but use them to supplement yourband.com, not replace it.

to work on your new website? send me your current email address and i'll transfer the domain to you.

This is very interesting alright and I can definitely recognise the benefits..the main one for me would be I'd be able to be as obscene/creative as I like on my own site..which would definitely be a major boon.One thing though..I have experience of doing 2 websites in the past and they both failed miserably because I have no knowledge of html etc. so I was unable to do anything intesting with them because i was relying on friends to update/ design them for me.

Now I would still be into doing it and fuck the corporate pigs in the arse..but how would I go about it...I have some domains lying dormant btw...

I could A.Get a that copy of website design for Dummies I have on the bookshelf and study up(havent the time though)
or 2.grab a torrent of dreamweaver and use that(would that be an option?)

Whatcha's reckon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back