"thank god for three more dead troops" (1 Viewer)

they plan on picketing at the funerals??

if i was a relative i'd saunter over and rip their bloody heads off. fucking insaniacs.

I wonder if it's just that in a country of 250 million people you're bound to have some bad apples or if there's some aspect of the American climate that helps to usher in the mental.

Bellatrix said:
I wonder if it's just that in a country of 250 million people you're bound to have some bad apples or if there's some aspect of the American climate that helps to usher in the mental.

Hmm, I don't think so. We had a thing going on there a while back of shooting at people who were at the wrong funeral. Picketing/shooting: who's the bigger mentaler?

skrellp said:
Hmm, I don't think so. We had a thing going on there a while back of shooting at people who were at the wrong funeral. Picketing/shooting: who's the bigger mentaler?

Meh, political disputes have an unfortunate tendency to become violent. Often indiscriminately so. That's been true since homo got his habilis on.

I just think that the increasing level of religious fundamentalism in the States is a bizarre sociological phenomenon.

apparently 1/8 of the world's forests are in canada.. what's not to like? :)

I'm not clear about this thread... just to confirm, they are against the US army, but only because they allow gays to join the military!?!?

Bellatrix said:
I just think that the increasing level of religious fundamentalism in the States is a bizarre sociological phenomenon.

I don't know. This would make sense if America had been the beacon of science and rationality up until a certain point, and then suddenly started cultivating a bizarre religious tandem. I think it's always been there, just perhaps not getting its act together like it has in recent years.

Apparently England's going down that road too (with religious schools etc). I wonder if we've done our religious extremism or if it'll come back around again.

skrellp said:
I don't know. This would make sense if America had been the beacon of science and rationality up until a certain point, and then suddenly started cultivating a bizarre religious tandem. I think it's always been there, just perhaps not getting its act together like it has in recent years.

Apparently England's going down that road too (with religious schools etc). I wonder if we've done our religious extremism or if it'll come back around again.

i'm generalising a lot here, but i think that fundamentalisms are in a sense just a reaction to late modernity, in that things aren't black and white anymore, what used to be "normal" is now (rightly) considered racist, homophobic, sexist, and so on.
the reaction from some people is to hark back to some idealistic time of "old fashioned values".. in the US that's usually some disneyland main street usa idyll of god-fearing white supremacy that never really existed the way they like to imagine it. it's comforting for them i guess.

islamic fundamentalism is a similar reaction to the modernising, "civilising" secular influence of the west, if you look at the political agendas of radical arab fighters 20 years ago it was very much about nationalist, secular movements. the failure of those struggles has coincided with the rise in a more "fundamentalist" type of attitude that, again, harks back to a golden age that never really existed.

oh shit said:
you support religious fundamentalist suicide bombers, but not seal clubbing.
The argument is that simple eh........
Or maybe one type has being oppressed/occupied/lands stolen and starved for years and the other type just get clubbed to death for no reason.

Look beyond the tabloid headlines.

so you don't think it's an over-simplification to say hamas = "oppressed palestinians" and therefore you'll blindly support them?
do you know what hamas actually stand for?

Also Hamas was a freely elected government and it was the poor mostly who voted for them so you could easily say and I quote ur gem
hamas = "oppressed palestinians"

hmmmmmm.

It is a little more complicated than hamas = "oppressed palestinians". Different issues. Schools/housing/all the usual joe soap stuff, that's what wins elections, that's what people really care about anywhere you go in the world, unless your saying the whole palestinian race loves the idea of murder and destruction.
And the other lads were corrupt.

I don't like seing people in IRA tshirts, so I don't like seeing people in Hamas tshirts. They are, really, into killing people, that's what they do. They're not like your favourite band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back