Terry Riley plays Drogheda (1 Viewer)

M. Stratosphere

....in St. Peters church over 3 days.

Wonder if he'll record Oliver Plunketts head and make some loops out of it...

Terry Riley: Spirals of Ragtime and Raga Louth Contemporary Music Society in association with Drogheda Arts Festival Present the Irish Debut of World Renowned Composer Terry Riley Friday 4 May 2007 – Sunday 6 May 2007

St. Peter’s Church of Ireland Drogheda "At times you feel you have never done anything your life long but listen to this music and as if that is all there is or ever will be, but it is altogether absorbing, exciting, and moving, too." San Francisco Chronicle
Composer Terry Riley, who is one of the founding fathers of minimalism in music is celebrated next May 2007 with the Irish premiere of Chanting the Light of Foresight. This work was inspired by the eighth-century Ulster heroic tale “An Táin Bó Cuailnge” (the Cattle Raid of Cooley), and the performances will take place in County Louth where “An Táin Bó Cuailnge” is based. The weekend, entitled Terry Riley: Spirals of Ragtime and Raga features the first Irish appearance by Terry Riley himself as a performer. He will join the Crash Ensemble in one of his most celebrated works, In C, which is recognised as the first great masterpiece of minimalism, and he will also play improvisations on the piano. The festival programme will also include the Irish premiere of Uncle Jard and Tread on the Trail with the four saxophonists of the renowned Arte Quartett from Switzerland. Accepting the invitation, Terry Riley said “I am so looking forward to my first visit to my father's homeland origins”.

All of the concerts will be broadcast on RTÉ lyric fm’s Nova programme, (Sunday evenings, 8pm-10pm, on 96-99fm). Louth Contemporary Music Society acknowledges the financial support of the Arts Council in making this event possible. Terry Riley was strongly influenced by jazz and tape loop experiments when he began composing repetitive music. In 1964, Riley composed In C, which is generally considered the benchmark work of American Minimal music. Its impact was to change the course of 20th Century music and its influence has been heard in the works of prominent composers such as Steve Reich, Philip Glass and John Adams and many prominent rock bands such as The Who, Brian Eno and Curved Air. Later works like Cadenza on the Night Plain was selected by both Time and Newsweek as one of the 10 Best Classical Albums Of The Year. The epic string quartet cycle, Salome Dances for Peace, was selected as the #1 Classical Album Of The Year by USA Today magazine and was nominated for a Grammy.

Terry Riley was listed in the London Sunday Times as "one of the 1000 makers of the 20th Century." terry riley: spirals of ragtime and raga is presented by Louth Contemporary Music Society and Drogheda Arts Festival in association with the Irish Times.
Terry Riley: Spirals of Ragtime and Raga was funded by The Arts Council / An Chomhairle Ealaíon under its one off project scheme and supported by RTÉ Supporting the Arts, RTÉ lyric fm, The Irish Times and Drogheda and Louth County Arts Offices.

Notes to Editor Terry Riley: Spirals of Ragtime and Raga at a Glance St. Peter's Church of Ireland, Drogheda Friday 4 May 2007, 8pm Terry Riley and the ARTE Quartett Saturday 5 May 2007, 10am Workshops Saturday 5 May 2007, 7pm Making Music: Terry Riley in Conversation (TBC) Sunday 6 May 2007, 8pm Terry Riley and the Crash Ensemble

He's got an album entirely dedicated to the Cattle Raid of Cooley - The Light of Foresight. The Pipes of Medb Medb's Blues is one of my favourite songs! I reckon he's a bit of an Hibernophile.

I'll try to keep an ear out for this.

class!I was strongly entertaining doing over to Glasgow to see "In C" as part of tryptich,good to know drogheda is the furthest Ill have to travel

Think i'll be going to check out Mr.Riley.

'Nova' One of the best shows on radio(after mine of course) He He.

Watch out for an interview on 'Nova' with another electronic music legend 'Roedelius' coming soon too:)

Keith

cant wait for this,turns out theres a niterider bus from drawde back to town at 1.45 after this,will get you back in to town in time for the 3.30 nitelink,jackpot

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back