TELEPATHE (Usa) / JENNY & the DEADITES / NORTHSTATION - Sat 4th Oct (1 Viewer)

skinny wolves

Website
www.skinnywolves.com
Hi

We are delighted to announce that one of our favourite bands at the moment, TELEPATHE, will play a Skinny Wolves night on Saturday 4th of October, upstairs in Whelans, Dublin.

Telepathe, coming from the same NYC scene that spawned such innovators as Gang Gang Dance, Excepter and Effi Briest, are set to release their much anticipated Dave Sitek (TV On The Radio) produced debut LP, Dance Mother.

Their ritualistic haunted pop, which fills the void where "hip-hop and totemic drone experimentalism collide" has in the past been remixed by !!! and the Matmos side project, Soft Pink Truth.

Their live show features voodoo like rythmns, overlapping tape loops, hazy synths, atmospheric guitar all mixed up with the most infectious hooks imaginable.

Dublin's Jenny & The Deadites join Telepathe on the night, with their horror skewed, dark hip hop, followed by a night of record playing from Skinny Wolves and friends.

Hope to see you there...

- Wolves xx

ps: watch out for the TELEPATHE / EFFI BRIEST split vinyl coming out soon on Skinny Wolves Records

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Skinny Wolves Presents, in association with the POD:

TELEPATHE (USA, Social Registry)
JENNY & The DEADITES
NORTHSTATION
w/ Skinny Wolves & Guest DJs

Saturday 4th October
Whelans (Upstairs), Wexford St, Dublin

Doors 8pm - 2.30am // ADM 14e
Tickets available from Wav Box Office and Tickets.ie

TELEPATHE

http://www.myspace.com/telepathe

telepathe9.jpg

Melissa Livaudis and Busy Gangnes were part of First Nation and Bloodlines respectively. Telepathe started as a side project for these groups. With its first line up of rotating members, the band’s debut release, the ‘Farewell Forest’ EP is a dense as the current incarnation, but was made by a full band in the expected set up. Their Sinister Militia’ 12 inch, recorded with the current line up (including semi-permanent guitar hired gun Ryan Lucero) is the bridge to how they sound now: synthetic ambience without full-blown machine beat. But it wasn’t until recently that they hate jamming and gave it up for the hectic commotion of technology.

‘Chrome’s On It’ a song that splashes with pitch-shifted Mannie Fresh beat syncopation, low tones and stuttered snare is their most immediately striking song, but only because it’s the least subtle. Livaudis says she was listening to an old Cash Money instrumentals CD the week before they made it. Their music has more in common with the do-it-yourselfness of self taught beatmaker Soulja Boy than former tourmates !!!. But were they to reply solely on their hip-hop influence, they’d be a lot limper. Their ‘Crimes and Killings’ may begin simply with sub-bass, but it keeps going with digitized electronic wind and the half spoken, half sung call ‘Let’s go make out in the snow,I’ll fuck you up you ought to know.’ The seven minute song is a musical triptych with distinct movements threaded togther with backwards hi-hat hitting and snare strokes. Gangnes and Livaudis’ voices are ever present throughout, seamlessly dubbed together, and that unified call is at once plainly lush and and undeniably creepy. There’s so much in so many genres happening at once that it feels like an experiment in pastiche and overload.

Their woman-meets-machine mishmash is present throughout their forthcoming Dave Sitek-produced album ‘Dance Mother’. “We’re making a specific lifestyle choice which I feel is political, says Gangnes towards the end of one of our conversations. And although she follows that up by saying “I didn’t know what I was going to say as I said that,” its vital that they even think about the tangled implications of being two women in a band backed by drum machines. “People will be like ‘Will you please sing on my beat’ and its like, Dude, we make our own beats,’” says Livaudis. “There’s no smoke and mirrors!’ she says.

“Anyone can do this.” And Telepathe certainly did. So while maybe it was just a matter of tatse and convenience that Livaudis put down their instruments in favor of the LCD glare of a computer screen, it also made for a big boom and it made a better band.

"Telepathe give us a glimpse of a pop future that confidently fuses kraut jams, urban beats and Gang Gang Dance-style rhythms into a hypnotic, droning whole. If this is the sound of what's to come, then we certainly have something to look forward to." - Drowned In Sound

Drowned in Sound: Telepathe interview
http://drownedinsound.com/articles/2796053

NME: Telepathe makes the US cool again.
http://www.intelligentmedia.com/viewmedia/a100ad16-7eaa-4de5-b0a0-a7ae40a75f1e_770_12p.htm

JENNY & The DEADITES

http://www.myspace.com/jennyandthedeadites

Jenny and the Deadites formed from the ashes and effluent of various projects, but quickly became an end in itself…rhymes and non rhymes over heavy electronics…words vicious and twisted over slabs of boom and echo…as meaningful and meaningless as throwing a cat onto a bonfire…pretty and macabre, like a necklace of human teeth… A little bit of noise, a little bit of light and a whole lot of death…

Not a Sam Raimi tribute band, although their skewed take on hip-hop is almost as twisted as one of his early films. MC Jenny Brannigan declaims her dark, brooding poetry over beats laptopped up by Ian McDonnell and Dara Smith, combining into a minimalist hip-hop that might not exactly cheer you up, but will at least make you nod your head as it fucks with it.

NORTHSTATION

http://www.myspace.com/iamnorthstation

Northstation is Dublin musician Steve Fanagan. Steve began recording as Northstation in 1999, when he provided the soundtrack for a collection of short films. 2001 saw the release of the first Northstation album, ‘plink.plonk’, a collection of songs originally compiled for the din sound exhibition. This was followed by some live performances. In 2003 Steve began work on the ‘Bears’ album, which was released in July 2004, on risc records. Since releasing Bears, Northstation has gigged extensively playing alongside many and varied musicians. 2006 saw the release of the third Northstation album, called ‘Wagtail’. In February of this year Northstation released an ep of remixes of music by bands such as Hood, Halfset, Herv and others. Steve currently works as a sound engineer and college tutor, and releases music under several different names. He also runs a small independent label called Slow Loris.

For more music and information please visit: www.stevefanagan.com, www.slowloris.org, www.myspace.com/slowlorislabel.
Steve also makes music under a few other names, a full lisiting of his releases to date can be found at: www.stevefanagan.com/music.

tele-oct08-web600.jpg

clear.gif

Me & My Korg DJs will also be joining up with Skinny Wolves Djs on the night for some extra late night spinning...

http://www.myspace.com/meandmykorg

Me & My Korg have put on the likes of Passions (Kitsune), Comanechi (Merok) John Maus (Upset the Rhythm), Errors (Rock Action) at their previous clubnights...

"
Me and My Korg started like most other clubs in Dublin - no one was doing anything that we really loved. We wanted to do something that we, our friends and maybe you'd like too. Hopefully you won't ever really be able to predict what kind of music we'll be playing at the club, but you can bet your ass it'll be good. From post punk, grime, blues, lo fi, sissy bounce, electro, repetitive beats and its really likely we'll play some Rihanna tunes too."

Will there be tickets on the door for this d'ya think?

I only ask because I was perusing US style bible Interview earlier and the Telepathe gals were modelling the latest Marc Jacobs!

Fierce.

Those myspace tracks sound shit hot. They have a gorgeous, silky sound - they're the Cadbury's Flake of the Social Registry selection box.

yeah tickets on the door! get in early, northstation will be playing all new material and jenny and the deadites have not played in a year? can't wait to see them again.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back