Tax on Guitars (1 Viewer)

21% vat, and import duty of (apparently) 3.2% for acoustics and 3.7% for electrics. fairly unlikely you'll get away without paying.

I always get my stuff sent in with a fake business name on it.
I haven't got stung.
Then again, most of my stuff comes from Asia, not America.
And I haven't brought in anything like a guitar, but loads of computer equipment has come through.

I was told it's because if they think you're bringing it in so you can sell it, you're going to end up paying tax on it eventually.
Don't blame me if it doesn't work for ya!

shee-it.I've been ordering records from the states for years and have never had a problem...is this a recent thing?I know a mate got charged €45 VAT on a couple of LPs he got from interpunk before Xmas.Just worried as I have two small boxes of LPs coming from the USA for distro (like 5LPs in each), and the VAT would potentially make the prices ridiculous if I get stung..getting them sent to my workplace though..

Has anyone been stung on tax on ordering instruments in from the US? I ordered a guitar and am wondering what to expect.

Ask who ever ordered it from to value it at less than what you paid for it. You won't have to pay as much tax then. Don't value it for too little as if it gets lost in the post the insurance money won't be enough to cover the loss.
Thats what i did before anyway and it saved me a bit.

Usually if it's pretty big (camera, guitar, tv etc etc) they ask you to forward on the reciept for what you paid for it (Paypal reciept or what have you) and they use that value..

Shite:

"unfortunately, it's against our federal law to falsify customs documents"

Then just tell them its against my law to falsify THIS

fuck_you_because_i_loved_you_by_mirrorkills.jpg

Usually if it's pretty big (camera, guitar, tv etc etc) they ask you to forward on the reciept for what you paid for it (Paypal reciept or what have you) and they use that value..

Is this the way it's been for the rest of yis? What's the procedure? Do you have to pay at the post office or wha?

Nah, I got a letter saying that my video camera has been impounded, you then gotta send the invoice or reciept to them (the address are on the letter). The cunts also charge VAT on delivery too so try getting one that doesn't have that on it.. After that they release the package and the postman rings your door asking for X amount of Euros..

When I put out a record before I got them to write "for promotional use only" and we got away with it, when it woulda been a couple hundred quid otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back