tascam output not loud enough (2 Viewers)

frippet

I have a TASCAM DP01-FX eight-track digital recorder. I have been moving mastered tracks (which are WAV files - they're data, not audio) from the eight-track to my laptop via USB. I’ve found that no matter how high I set the levels when I master them, the output from the TASCAM is very quiet. I can fix it to some degree by using Audiograbber’s ‘normalize’ function, but is there another way I can make my songs much louder?

I'm not sure how your Tascam actually works but that doesn't make any sense.
When you say you are trying to move 'mastered' tracks do you mean mixdowns?
If so, how are you setting the volume on the machine?

frippet said:
I have a TASCAM DP01-FX eight-track digital recorder. I have been moving mastered tracks (which are WAV files - they're data, not audio) from the eight-track to my laptop via USB. I’ve found that no matter how high I set the levels when I master them, the output from the TASCAM is very quiet. I can fix it to some degree by using Audiograbber’s ‘normalize’ function, but is there another way I can make my songs much louder?

i found this with a fostex digi8tracker i was using at the weekend....when i transferred the wav tracks over to the laptop, the level was indeed quite low. i was using ableton so i just bumped up the volumes in the track view, but i'm sure you could just change the gain or normalize them in wavelab/soundforge of whatever audio editor yr using. !bing

strange all the same - it bewildered me!:eek:

It's still a problem because of the loss of resolution you're gonna get from recording digitally at low volumes.
Normalising doesn;t bring that back.

I'd still love to know why this is happening.. normalizing and similar ways of increasing the gain give me the heeby-jeebies in these kinds of appliactions.

yep, copying over data: WAV files. and all the tracks are turned WAY up when i mix it, and the mastering volume is WAY up. In other words, no matter how loud it sounds on the TASCAM, the WAV file as played on the PC is much quieter than any other WAV files i have. maybe it's time i played with pro tools...

frippet said:
yep, copying over data: WAV files. and all the tracks are turned WAY up when i mix it, and the mastering volume is WAY up. In other words, no matter how loud it sounds on the TASCAM, the WAV file as played on the PC is much quieter than any other WAV files i have. maybe it's time i played with pro tools...

If you're just turning the sound up on the tascam this probably doesn't equate to actually increasing the gain of the waveform. It probably just sends the wav through an amplifier stage without actually affecting the original waeform.
If you were to increase the gain of the waveform internally in the machine it would probably take some time to render each one.
Like I said, I know nothing aout this machine, but it sounds like this is what's happening.

thanks for the link, grrrrrr; and that makes sense, to contact tascam. also, rumpus says to say hi.

Don't know if this is any way helpful, but i know with fostex's digital 8track, you have to use a special program to copy files to/from the machine, rather than drag and drop, most likely that normalises the volume some how in preperation for use on the computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back