Talk about someone unclear on the concept (2 Viewers)

jane

Website
www.ittybittyhearingtrumpet.wordpress.com
But still, he only got three years? Fucking hell.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0511/keanea.html

Fucking triumphal gesture. As if we needed any more evidence that letting rapists off the hook sends the message that rape is little more than a petty offence...

Edit: I think, by the way, that a suspended sentence, in some ways, sends a worse message than an aquittal.

But at least sometimes they get punished:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0511/rape.html

3 years was a joke........least judge believed her and if she was clever she could fuck this guy over again.

Yeah, but I don't think she wanted to fuck him over so much as have it acknowledged by the legal system that his crime was really serious. I have no idea what it's like to be in her position, but I imagine that she's hugely relieved now that at least he's going away. I also imagine that after her ordeal, she's probably not interested in going through any of it again, even if it meant putting him away for longer. She was really gutsy to go public with her name, and I'm not sure he would have gone away if it weren't a high-profile case. That said, the judge seems to be very clear that he is responsible for letting the guy off and that it was a mistake not to give him a custodial sentence to begin with.

Three years is a joke, but it's not as big a joke as letting him go initially. Seriously, they had enough evidence to convict (and a teeny percentage of rape cases EVER result in a conviction), and they sent him home with a slap on the hand.

So one guy went to prison for 7 years for attempted rape and another guy got a suspended sentence, ie. fuck all, for actual rape?

WTF like?

how offensive that someone could get a suspended sentence for rape. it's effectively telling victims not to bother coming forward, because boys will be boys. that judge should be disbarred.

Thats one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Cant believe there hasnt been mass outcry at this!

... that judge should be disbarred.

So, not necessarily trying to defend the judge... but, there has been a number of cases that a judge has given the minimum punishment precisely defined by the letter of the law in order to cause anger, knowing the case will be appealed to the high / supreme court allowing the law to be changed, or formalised.

I am not saying that this is what is or isn't happening in this instance, but these judges are often cleverer than you might initially think.

Just sayin like. Wait and see what happens.

(If it sticks on appeal, three years suspended would be a massive slap in face for the victim though... to see him walking about the town the next day etc. Load of bollocks that is.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back