taking photos off a dslr camera (1 Viewer)

taubstumm

Supporter
Website
kvt.red
i've been messing around with an olympus e-300 digital slr recently, and it's thrown up a few confusing problems.

the main one at the moment is that when i shoot in large raw-format, the files that come off the camera are '.orf' files (a bit of googling reveals that this is short for 'olympus raw format'). there's no way to preview these files on my pc. so, this means that i'm not able to flick through a folder of, say, fifty shots, pick the nice ones out, and dump the rest. instead, i have to individually open each 13mb file in a weird photoshop-previewing window, and then in photoshop proper, before usually having to close it again and open the next one. pain in the hole. has anyone had anything similar happen? what do you do?

also, does anyone know any other good sites for asking these type of questions? preferably forums where polite, respectful, efficient, fast, clever, witty people give you helpful, insightful, droll, humorous, comprehensive-yet-not-overly-technical replies? within minutes? thanks.

Vista opens / previews / thumbnails normal raw files, not sure about .orf ones though.

You might have to install some olympus driver or something.

edit: or install Picasa

Picasa currently supports RAW images from most of the cameras by the following manufacturers:
  • Canon (.CRW, .CR2) (EXIF data from RAW images is only supported with CRW files that have associated .THM files.)
  • Nikon (.NEF)
  • Olympus (.ORF)

Vista opens normal raw files, not sure about .orf ones though.

i thought that there was no such thing as a normal raw file - that they change from camera to camera and manufacturer to manufacturer. what camera and file type are you using, do you mind me asking, oh pete o'thumped?

You might have to install some olympus driver or something

yup, i was fearing this kind of carry-on.

i thought that there was no such thing as a normal raw file - that they change from camera to camera and manufacturer to manufacturer. what camera and file type are you using, do you mind me asking, oh pete o'thumped?

well, by "normal" i actually mean "the one's that come off my 400d" and (probably) a load of other one's it's got support for.

well, by "normal" i actually mean "the one's that come off my 400d" and (probably) a load of other one's it's got support for.

yeah, it's pretty stupid everybody having their own file format...

wikipedia sez:

Raw file formats are proprietary, and differ greatly from one manufacturer to another, and sometimes between cameras made by one manufacturer. In 2004 Adobe Systems published the Digital Negative Specification (DNG), which is intended to be a unified raw format. Adobe Photoshop CS2 and CS3 contain extensive support of RAW as does Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. As of 2006, several camera manufacturers have started to announce support for DNG in newer camera models, including Leica, Samsung, Ricoh, Pentax (native camera support) and Hasselblad (export). The Leica Digital-Modul-R (DMR) was first to use DNG as its native format.

and it also says...

.raf (Fuji)
.crw .cr2 (Canon)
.kdc .dcr (Kodak)
.mrw (Minolta)
.nef (Nikon)
.orf (Olympus)
.dng (Adobe)
.ptx .pef (Pentax)
.arw .srf (Sony)
.x3f (Sigma)
.erf (Epson)
.mef .mos (Mamiya)
.raw (Panasonic)
.r3d (Red)

Adobe bridge should be able to open all the photos in a similar way to picassa and windows pic viewer. Bridge comes free with photoshop these days.

i've been messing around with an olympus e-300 digital slr recently, and it's thrown up a few confusing problems.

the main one at the moment is that when i shoot in large raw-format, the files that come off the camera are '.orf' files (a bit of googling reveals that this is short for 'olympus raw format'). there's no way to preview these files on my pc. so, this means that i'm not able to flick through a folder of, say, fifty shots, pick the nice ones out, and dump the rest. instead, i have to individually open each 13mb file in a weird photoshop-previewing window, and then in photoshop proper, before usually having to close it again and open the next one. pain in the hole. has anyone had anything similar happen? what do you do?

also, does anyone know any other good sites for asking these type of questions? preferably forums where polite, respectful, efficient, fast, clever, witty people give you helpful, insightful, droll, humorous, comprehensive-yet-not-overly-technical replies? within minutes? thanks.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/

the guys on here seem to be very helpful, and friendly to beginners asking stupid questions, as well as the more pro side of things.

i use an olympus DSLR, and find the handiest thing to do is user the camera RAW plugin for photoshop. the olympus software is quite clunky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back