Swedish Percussionist Jonny Axelsson -Triskel (Cork) May 10th (1 Viewer)

Wölflinge

Website
www.vickylangan.com
Contemporary percussionist Jonny Axelsson

image001.jpg

A very special evening with world renowned Swedish contemporary percussionist Jonny Axelsson and friends.
Performs at the Triskel Arts Centre, Wednesday May 10th at 8pm
(“Dazzling musicianship” – The Guardian)

Jonny will perform the powerful “Akrodha”, composed for him by Kevin Volans, as part of a varied and exciting program.
The evening will also feature the premier of a live video portrait of Jonny by visual artist Peter O’Kennedy.
The event will close with an improvised collaboration between Jonny Axelsson and Cork-based musicians / sound artists Giordai ua Laoghaire and Rory McGovern.

The full program:
Akrodha (1999). Kevin Volans (with live video portrait of Jonny by Peter O’Kennedy)
Song of the Butterflies (2004). For 8 electric machines. Jonny Axelsson
Eight Days for You (2004). Vibraphone solo. Jonny Axelsson
Music for Hi-hat & Computer (1998). Cort Lippe
Improvisation with Giordai ua Laoghaire and Rory McGovern
Video works by Peter O’Kennedy throughout

Tickets: €10 / €8 students / unwaged. Triskel box office ph: (021) 4272022
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Biographies:

Jonny Axelsson
Jonny Axelsson has achieved great recognition worldwide, and has been praised by music critics for the depth and dimensions in his interpretations. A reviewer from The Guardian wrote:”There is nothing flamboyant or fussy about Axelsson, he just goes about his tasks with dazzling musicianship”, and a review from The International Record Review states: “Axelsson´s playing is fluid, organic and highly textured - in short, simply superbly musical.” His concert activities include solo performances all over the World. Jonny Axelsson is featured on numerous CD´s as a soloist and chamber musician. His solo CD "Percussione Con Forza" was chosen by the International Record Review as "the best contemporary music CD of the year 2000".

Kevin Volans
Kevin Volans has been described as “one of the planet’s most distinctive and unpredictable voices” [Kyle Gann – Village Voice 1998]. He was born in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa and studied at the Univeristy of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg before going on to study in Cologne, principally with Karlheinz Stockhausen, later becoming his teaching assistant.
In the mid-70’s his work became associated with the “Neue Einfachheit” (New Simplicity) – the beginnings of post-modernism in music. In 1986 Kevin Volans began a productive collaboration with the Kronos Quartet. White Man Sleeps for string quartet (1986), Hunting: Gathering (1987) and The Songlines (1988) were all written for them. The Kronos discs, White Man Sleeps and Pieces of Africa broke all records for string quartet disc sales. He has also written extensively for dance. John Allison wrote in The Times: “When it comes to composers, only a few today could be called true originals, and Kevin Volans is one of them.” He is currently writing a piano concerto for Marc-Andre Hamelin and the San Francisco Symphony with Michael Tilson Thomas conducting.

Peter O’Kennedy
Peter O’Kennedy was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1964. He studied art at the School Of Visual Art, New York and the National College of Art and Design, Dublin, before leaving college to play drums professionally for the best part of ten years in “The Golden Horde”, and later with Giordai ua Laoghaire in “Nine Wassies From Bainne”. Peter has exhibited extensively in Ireland, as well as Argentina, The U.S, Russia, France and Italy. He has had residencies in, among others, the Irish Museum of Modern Art, Dublin; La Friche La Belle De Mai, Marseilles; Monaghan County Museum, Ireland, and Palais de Glas, Buenos Aires, Argentina. Peter’s works to date include sculpture, kinetic sculpture, photography, video works and installations.

Giordai ua Laoghaire
"I think that Jonny needs musicians (ceoltóirí) who have enough (smacht) control over their chosen instrument (gléas ceoil) and who can improvise (imprabhísáil) but not in the squirty jazz / blues / rock sense of the word (focal). I'm developing a Max / Msp patch that will give me continous timbrel variation, by randomly sending audio (fúaim) to various analogue pedals and by looping the signal (suigneal) back through a series of Delays (dílés) when I need it, also allowing me to play lines (líntí) in a more conventional way (slí). I'd like to use more than two speakers, at least three. The guitar (giotár) will be my basic sound source (foinse) with the pickups being powered by sustainiac and (agus) a nine volt battery"

Rory McGovern
Rory is a multi-instrumentalist, composer and producer. He has worked in various world music ensembles, including reggae band “Down town crossing”, Latino band “Sangre Latino” and African ensemble groups “Sumu” and “The Lace”. He performs with psycho-dub outfit “Wiggle” and he is currently working with Flamenco singer Elena Maria Castro from Seville. Rory holds a BMus (UCC) and a Graduate Diploma (UL). Last month he was involved in sound design for Meridian Theatre’s production of “The White Lady".

That guy's a powerhaus!

Saw him play in Belfast years ago, I never thought a piece for solo snare drum could be so cool. Shame he's not doing Xenakis this time round.

just saw this now! wow... sounds amazing. giordai's a legend. really bad night for me though. might be able to check out a little bit of it. is this gonna start at eight/how long is the programme? maybe I should call the triskel...

do give them a bell- I reckon it'll be the type of thing that starts at eight...
If you can't make it until later why not give this a skip and head to Bert Jansch? I'd give anything to go but have to work tonight.:mad:

x vick

oh yeah/shit! I must be going blind. I really got to start paying attention to bloody gig posters! you're working for it... jayzis.. that sux. got offered a gig yesterday, so that's kinda messing up my night as well. bollixzxzzkzx!

called the triskel, didn't really get much extra info. but anyway this sounds utterly amazing, I'm gonna check out as much as I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back