SW Presents: ARIEL PINK / BELONG / THE NEW HEAT - Sun 4th June / Dublin (1 Viewer)

skinny wolves

Website
www.skinnywolves.com
Skinny Wolves Promotions:

Ariel Pink (Usa, Paw Tracks)
Belong (Usa, Car Park Records)
The New Heat / Obscured by Light (Ire / Sweden)
Bank Holiday, Sunday 4th June
The Boom Boom Room, Parnel St, Dublin

Tickets from Road & City Discs very soon

ARIEL PINK

http://www.arielpink.com

http://www.myspace.com/arielpink
http://www.angelfire.com/la3/zanna

Apink5.jpg

The alternative pop-rock and lo-fi recordings of Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti / Ariel Pink are full of intrigue, and full of contradictions.

Pink, a male singer, composer, musician and producer who is based in Los Angeles, provides songs that are melodic, catchy and familiar; songs that, in their own unorthodox way, recall the most immediate, accessible, straight-forward FM pop-rock of the '70s and '80s. But Pink's work also comes across as bizarre, trippy, skewed and twisted; and a lot of that strangeness comes from his production style. The Southern Californian brings a long list of influences to the table: influences ranging from David Bowie, John Lennon, the Bee Gees, Hall & Oates and the Raspberries to Frank Zappa, Brian Eno, Roxy Music and late '70s/early '80s new wave.
Some of Pink's melodies wouldn't have been out of place on Bowie's Station to Station album in 1976; some of them would have worked well for A Flock of Seagulls, Men at Work or the Talking Heads in the early '80s. But because Pink's production style is so quirky and off-centre, those comparisons may not come as easily to listeners who don't have a taste for the bizarre; and depending on who you talk to, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti is either mindlessly self-indulgent studio masturbation or the work of an insane musical genius.

There are some listeners who just plain don't comprehend what he is doing, but the small cult following Pink acquired in the late '90s and early 2000s tends to be highly enthusiastic; Pink's admirers really swear by him and insist that there is a method to his madness.

Apink52.jpg

Reviews
"The 15 songs on The Doldrums are off-kilter with fairly straightforward structures and instrumentation, reminiscent of early Beck with the slight dementia of Gary Wilson or Scott Walker. The abstracted pop sensibility is marked by vocal harmonies and primitive electronics. Child-like wails and lyrics that relate such enduring truths as "growing up isn't half as fun as growing down" immediately invoke Animal Collective, which released The Doldrums under the aegis of its Paw Tracks label." - Dusted

MP3/ VIDEO
Check out the video for Ariel Pink "For Kate I Wait"
Hi-Res Version (25MB)
Medium-Res Version (10MB)
Lo-Res Version (2MB)

Also check out these video snippets from the Ariel Pink's "Worn Copy":
Trepanated Earth
Life in LA
Lover Boy
Bloody! (Bagonia's)
Almost Waiting
Beverly Kills

BELONG

belong.jpg

Born in the dense heat of New Orleans, Louisiana, Belong is a collaborative effort between Turk Dietrich and Michael Jones, whose debut album, October Language, goes beyond traditional song structure to a place where melodic figures blur, and textures are gorgeously sculpted into an ocean of sound. Belong began on the WestBank of New Orleans in 2002, but it was not until 2004 that October Language was made. The album was assembled, composed, and produced in Dietrich's bedroom studio; however, the inspiration for the songs goes well beyond the walls. The album encapsulates their hometown of New Orleans, at once bathed in sunlight and colors, yet dripping in decay and a rich sadness. It is a record that attempts to display the beauty in things that are worn, decayed or destroyed.

Following in the tradition of bands like My Bloody Valentine and Gas, guitars, synths and other musical sources are wrenched from their typical tones, revealing themselves in bright shards of distortion. Melodies are similarly enveloped in a sort of aural atrophy, forever repeating their blurring calls. At the end, all that remains is a noise so potent it leaves the sonic equivalent of the sun's imprint on a retina.

Turk Dietrich has previously collaborated with Telefon Tel Aviv's Joshua Eustis under the name Benelli, whose remix of Nine Inch Nails' "The Frail (version)" is found on the acclaimed NIN EP Things Falling Apart. Eustis played a small part in the production of October Language, in addition to playing slide guitar on the album's title track

Listen to a Belong mp3 here

THE NEW HEAT / OBSCURED BY LIGHT

TNHOBL_pre_2.jpg

The New Heat/Obscured by Light is two projects by Nina Canell and Robin Watkins. The New Heat takes the shape of five slow songs which employ sleepy singing birds and magnetic song-writing. The eerie vocals and swirly guitars are integrated with droned organs, weightless drumming and various other sonic snippets. Obscured by Light derived from an object-based sound installation commissioned for the exhibition Obscured by Clouds (Temple Bar Gallery & Studios, Dublin 2004). Organs, sleep-machines and various prepared instruments/objects are weaved into one continuous 20-minute spectra-animated pop drone. This vinyl LP comes in special packaging and is limited to 250 numbered copies.

TNHOBL_pre_1.jpg
OBL_press_big.jpg

"On the same label a split LP by The New Heat and Obscured By Light. The New Heat is Nina Canell and Robin Williams. Obscured By Light is Nina Canell and Robin Williams. Yes, that's twice the same people, but the results are so different that choosing two different names is indeed a very wise idea. As The New Heat they play songs, on drums, guitars, organs and vocals (and more things with keys, really). Dreamy and spacy stuff going on here, a bit Windy and Carl like, but with enough ideas of their own, as-well as enough (as in more) variation in choosing different sounds. Intimate, new-folky electronica in which drones play a considerable role. As Obscured By Light however they do something completely different. It's an 'object-based sound installation', and the music, although one piece, was recorded in sections between September 2004 and January 2005. Pretty much similar instruments, but also milk caps, bucket, radio and a portable chair were used. The resultant twenty minutes is a collage of drone like sounds, synthesizer bleeps, radio static and more some such" Staalplaat Distribution

mp3 Samples
The New Heat
Obscured By Light

PS: is this post too big? too much info?

TICKETS!

Was meant to finally leave them into Road/City Discs today, but the weather nearly killed me...
They will be in shops tomorrow.

People outside of Dublin, or who might not get to the shops, get in touch if you want tickets...

Some american girls already ordered their tickets from the States... weird...

oh, yeah.. this gig is 10euro.

this guy's stuff sounds crazy in the brainhole. does he use backing tapes live? he has to i guess.... looking forward to it!

as far as i know he uses a backing band. heard somewhere that he just get dudes from wherever hes playin to get up with him. don't know how true that is. has a band with him on that latitudes yoke. have ya heard that? well insane in the membrane!

hag said:
this guy's stuff sounds crazy in the brainhole. does he use backing tapes live? he has to i guess.... looking forward to it!

yeah, sometimes he uses backing tapes, loops etc, sometimes he plays with a local band as his backing band, but on this tour ariel pink will be a full band (4 people)... using bass, keyboards, 4 track tape player, various pedals & electronics, electric guitar, etc...

skinny wolves said:
yeah, sometimes he uses backing tapes, loops etc, sometimes he plays with a local band as his backing band, but on this tour ariel pink will be a full band (4 people)... using bass, keyboards, 4 track tape player, various pedals & electronics, electric guitar, etc...
makes sense. still looking forward to it no matter what you say.

ruttiger said:
finally got my belong cd there a few days ago - they are going be good at this me thinks
yeah, definitely...
they will be performing to specially made visuals too...

ArielPinkWebPoster.gif

the shops are asking for more tickets already...
so get them quick...

me mate seen him in vienna there the other day. said he was a bit shit. hasn't put a dampner on my anticipation though. bring it on says I. like the poster by the way!

mamul said:
me mate seen him in vienna there the other day. said he was a bit shit. hasn't put a dampner on my anticipation though. bring it on says I. like the poster by the way!

Yeah I'm expecting the unexpected with this one. But the other two bands playing sound cool judging by the mp3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back