Sun Kil Moon (1 Viewer)

Was ok. Played an acoustic set, which made a lot of slow songs slower and to my mind crippled some of the catchier tunes. Not sure if the Willage is the right venue for a band like that. Glasnevin cemetery maybe. All in all though, twas nice.

I thought it was brilliant, he played for near two hours, if not over. Him and two guitarists, one of them from the Red House Painters, and two violin players. The violins were brilliant, added a lot to the old RHP stuff. He rearranged a lot of the songs to a slower more moody pace and was in fine fine voice. Deadly.

I was a bit dissapointed it wasn't to be a band set, cause I love the rocking on Ghosts of the Great Highway, but the set he did was really amazing.

Witnessed something very special last Night... I agree with fiachra, It would have been deadly to have heard Ghosts stuff in all its rockin glory, but the RHP stuff newly arranged with the strings was bliss... Got all 'motional during New Jersey so i did... 'mazin

couple of people afterwards were complainin bout the lenght of the show, I could have listened all night, if I had a couch...

strings are the new drums

Ian said:
Witnessed something very special last Night... I agree with fiachra, It would have been deadly to have heard Ghosts stuff in all its rockin glory, but the RHP stuff newly arranged with the strings was bliss... Got all 'motional during New Jersey so i did... 'mazin

couple of people afterwards were complainin bout the lenght of the show, I could have listened all night, if I had a couch...

strings are the new drums
What a mad thing to complain about... people were leaving from the encore on, t'was very empty by the end.

He looked like he coulda played all night, he seemed to be just picking stuff at random and giving it a go, especially during the encore.

Excellent gig but

Pantone247 said:
What a mad thing to complain about... people were leaving from the encore on, t'was very empty by the end.

He looked like he coulda played all night, he seemed to be just picking stuff at random and giving it a go, especially during the encore.

Excellent gig but
Dude... Do you know you were standing right next to me for like 45 mins and you dident even notice... Lost in the awl music were we? Still buh, If i lived for the last bus I would have been out of there too... I think I left the building at 12:05...
been playing New Jersey all day and onle imagining the strings... Other highlight was the "guitar leans againsed the couch" song from Old Ramon... 'mazin

Did nobody find the fact that he played most of the songs at half their normal speed a little boring - I mean, they're slow enough already? Also the fact that he couldn't be arsed to sing any of the high notes until the last ten minutes was wrecking my head; every song was just this monotonous drawl - I was amazed when he bothered to do the high bit for Mistress. Shit ending too - just playing that bit over and over until it even got too boring for even them on stage. !bog

I dunno, it was just a little too self indulgent. The Olympia gig a few years back was worse though. Last night's at least had a few good moments.

The last song was as long as it is on the album...

I'm just a blow in fan anyways so what do I know... Maybe I should be a true fan and hate it... that seems to be the way things are... If you're a true Kozleck fan you must hate everything from Old Ramon onwards and everytime he plays live be really pickey...
What gives?

Ian said:
The last song was as long as it is on the album...

I'm just a blow in fan anyways so what do I know... Maybe I should be a true fan and hate it... that seems to be the way things are... If you're a true Kozleck fan you must hate everything from Old Ramon onwards and everytime he plays live be really pickey...
What gives?

people are morons

everyone I know who's a fan gripes about his shows, from back in the mean fiddler, to the olympia, to last night. To be honest he seems to attract a very anal obsessive fan... I was going to slap some dude beside me if he shouted 'Lily and the Parrots' again... he wasn't up for requests dudes, stop shouting at him like he's the dancing ape!

I thought the note fiasco was classic, the girl giving her boyfriends website to him got ripped on, and who ever gave him a note that obivoulsy meant something to them, was told it was very sweet and he kept the note. Okay a bit stupid but I think it's a good example of attitudes to indie music... being THE BIGGEST FAN is more important then possibly being moved by the music.

*shrug*

I thoguht he was aces the other night, and in the olympia, and I love Old Ramon... I must be barmy! I knew you were beside me Ian, but didn't want to ruin the moment during his set, then I had to leg it, shoulda said hi but, very bold of me.

Pantone247 said:
people are morons

everyone I know who's a fan gripes about his shows, from back in the mean fiddler, to the olympia, to last night. To be honest he seems to attract a very anal obsessive fan... I was going to slap some dude beside me if he shouted 'Lily and the Parrots' again... he wasn't up for requests dudes, stop shouting at him like he's the dancing ape!

I thought the note fiasco was classic, the girl giving her boyfriends website to him got ripped on, and who ever gave him a note that obivoulsy meant something to them, was told it was very sweet and he kept the note. Okay a bit stupid but I think it's a good example of attitudes to indie music... being THE BIGGEST FAN is more important then possibly being moved by the music.

*shrug*

I thoguht he was aces the other night, and in the olympia, and I love Old Ramon... I must be barmy! I knew you were beside me Ian, but didn't want to ruin the moment during his set, then I had to leg it, shoulda said hi but, very bold of me.

The problem with everything from Old Ramon on (exlcuding the Sun Kil Moon album and the first covers one) is that fans of the old emotion-laden stuff just weren't into songs about his cat and shit. I dunno maybe he just grew up and the rest of us didn't. His songs were the first tracks that I really got into that meant anything to me lyrically and musically. I thought the Mean Fiddler show and the HQ show were brilliant because he looked and sounded like he still gave a shit.

Maybe its hard to still give a shit playing 6-8 minute tracks night-out night-in for over 10 years.... I guess his tracks just mean so much to people that they get pissed off when he just can't be arsed - doesn't mean they're morons - they just expect (maybe wrongfully) more from him. I agree with the request shit though... and the guy who kept going "ye-ha"... the note was also a really nice moment... it wasn't all bad, just could've been so much better, thats all.

god i thought this was awful. all obeisance to some bloke who was obviously in love with him self. so indulgent, so turgid, sooooooooooo boring. it was like being at a sex show for geeks who never got out much as teenagers. yawn. reminded me of amy winehouses gig.

spady said:
The problem with everything from Old Ramon on (exlcuding the Sun Kil Moon album and the first covers one) is that fans of the old emotion-laden stuff just weren't into songs about his cat and shit.

ha ha ha, I'm listening to that track now! Dude! i't's awesome!

I guess that's the rub, I find elements of the older stuff a little clumsy, like moody teenage poetry, really weighed down with sombre sort of sincerity.

I think he has got a little more clever as time went by, Songs for a Blue Guitar being, IMHO, a really nice balance between good songcraft and the emotional weight of the early stuff. Have You Forgotten leaps to mind!

I like the wider reach of the newer stuff, it explores a little more then heart break and I think h's got real nifty at methaphor (yeah the songs about his Cat.... but there's totally a case for saying it's a methaphor for a unhealthy relationship, I think that is as strong as anything else he's done)

Anyhow I really don't think he was on auto pilot or anything the other night, I find it weird that people would be pissed off cause they might feel he's not giving it his all... I know what you mean, I just thinks it's odd.

It seemed to me like there were only about 200-250 people there. That's about €5,000 to pay for 5 people to come to Ireland, stay in a hotel etc. so I doubt they made much on it.

I was talking (bending the earhole off) to the guitarist afterwards and he said a lot of the gigs they played in Europe this time aroiund were badly promoted and poorly attended, so maybe they were just pissed off.

In all, I think it was much poorer than the mean fiddler gig. He seemed a little tired and a touch self indulgent; not so much on the song selection as the versions rendered.

must say i agree with much of the criticism of this gig. was really looking forward to it and it disappointed. even the beautiful violins started to sound predictable n samey after the first half hour. the encore was stultifyingly bad, messy and drawn out. having said that there were moments of magic - and it's still a great reccid.

wouldn't want to live with that mark kozelek bloke though . what a whinge! - complained about everything - the smell of the room, the smell of dublin, the draught, the monitor, the amount of websites in the world - and that's just the moans that weren't in the songs...

d.o.b said:
must say i agree with much of the criticism of this gig. was really looking forward to it and it disappointed. even the beautiful violins started to sound predictable n samey after the first half hour. the encore was stultifyingly bad, messy and drawn out. having said that there were moments of magic - and it's still a great reccid.

wouldn't want to live with that mark kozelek bloke though . what a whinge! - complained about everything - the smell of the room, the smell of dublin, the draught, the monitor, the amount of websites in the world - and that's just the moans that weren't in the songs...
in fairness, the room fucking reeked. i had to go stand at the back and make sure it wasn't me (wasn't, for a change), and the violin arrangements reminded me of oasis in their unimagination.

the smell was more than likely due to the very high percentage of unkempt blokeage in the crowd. oh and my flatulence. and halitosis.

missed this because of a bus! judging by the general reaction, i'm not to peeved.
ok, ian loved it. but ian loves EVERYTHING! he's such a sweet dude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back