Suggestions anyone (1 Viewer)

Cooperman

Its been a long time since ive been on this forum. We (my band) have been working hard at home (well the garage) recording an ep.

Using advice i got from this forum we bought gear and recorded on our own. We think it sounds pretty good and want to release it but the advice we are getting is that we should get it properly mixed, particularly if we want it to get on the radio, which we do of course.

Seeing as you were all so helpful before maybe I could get some advice again.

Is there people that do that, just mix? Is that the same as mastering? I have been recomended a guy called fergal davies for mastering, would he mix as well? Does anyone have any experience using him?

Thanks

----------

Mixing and mastering are different - mixing is, well, mixing the 16 tracks or whatever you have down to 2 tracks (left and right). Mastering is sonically polishing the 2-track

I think Fergal Davies just does mastering. We used a guy called Mikko Raita in Helsinki for mixing our (mostly) home-recorded album, he was very good, cost us about 2 grand I think.

use goldenmastering.com for your mastering. amazing value

mixing, aye, any engineer can do it, you need to find someone who you rate. if your budget isn't up to much, check out other local band recordings and see what you think.
you may need to spring for studio time as well as paying an engineer fee, if they don't have a good set up.

the more outboard gear an engineer can get his hands on the better too.

definitely worth getting someone who knows their salt to have a crack at it is the way forward. a good engineer can do startling things to a mix

Thanks

Since i decided to spend the day on figuring out what to do I have learned a lot.

I called a few studios (they are expensive arent they) and have been given other names of mixer people i dont know if anyone has any experience of any of them.

Gareth Mannix
Ciaran Byrne
Marc Carolan
Phil Hayes
Stefano Sofy

Its very difficult. We were hoping to finish 4 songs and have 1000 euro, is that realistic?

Sorry for being so dum, thanks for all the help.

Coop

Gareth Mannix

He did the Republic of Loose stuff, nice fella worked with him twice, probably more pop or sort of chart based indie rock (uh, y'know?).

Marc Carolan

Did a lot of the JJ72 stuff, some stuff with the Thrills, is sound guy for Muse. Got to record with him too, total pro, don't know what he did differently from other people but the recording came out tighter, cleaner and more "in your face" (for want of a much better word) then anyone else I've ever recorded with.

Best thing to do is to ring any of them fellas on your list and ask them what they've done.

Marc Carolan is savage and a really sound bucko.

He's on the road with Muse though til Sept or Oct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back