• Thread starter RSJ
  • Start date
  • Replies 25
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 1

RSJ

Website
www.gravelbox.net
Has anyone ever done any formal photography training? Kind of half thinking about going back to college for a year or two to study photography, but everywhere i look, i see this kind of thing:

I am concerned with the question of interpreting visually oscillating material, in particular the ambiguity of organic growth and its relation to an historical process. A public garden flowerbed represents an island, interesting as an independent contained environment, and in its link to British maritime history. A drawing of a pollard Horse Chestnut suggests, amongst other things, a coastline viewed aerially.

I point blank refuse to participate in that kind of shite - are there full time degree courses out there that don't necessitate talking like a twat?

Re: Sudying Photography

the other half is doing a photography degree and i have never ever heard him using any kind of expression like that..and if he did he would so be getting the kickings:)

i think a lot of it just depends on yrself...i know there are some people in daves class who are as pretentious as fuck and then theres people who are just good at photography and dont feel the need to make it somethin its not..im not puttin this very well..if ya wanna drop me a pm with any questions or stuff about it and ill get him to answer it..

There will always be wankers. It's the same with anything "creative". But, thankfully, it doesn't really exist except when they're trying to sell themselves at exhibitions, etc. And if it does, you won't notice. As you'll have magically managed to ignore those tossers.

It all depends on whether or not you want to partake in "the Art World.

If you do, do it at your own pace, in your own way.

Any course in particular you're thinking of?

depends on whether the sort of work you want to get as a photographer will depend on whether they look for formal qualifications, if this is intended as a career enhancer - otherwise, photography is probably more enjoyable as a self-taught discipline.

Has anyone ever done any formal photography training? Kind of half thinking about going back to college for a year or two to study photography, but everywhere i look, i see this kind of thing:

I point blank refuse to participate in that kind of shite - are there full time degree courses out there that don't necessitate talking like a twat?

I started doing the part-time course in GCD. Its a city and guilds effort, very practical based, minimun of arty waffle. pretty good so far. They also do it as a year ,long effort.
I did it as I wanted to get a qualification and i felt there was things that I would never have time or opertunity to teach myself, ie colour printing, using a studio. Also theres the whole thing of having someone critique your work and being given definite assignments. gets you thinking in a different way. It is pretty hetic tho, Ive had to stop doing band stuff.
Only problem is it is a big class with a very wide range of experience; even though they advertise it as being for what they call 'enthusiast photographers' theres a lot of people there who dont have a clue.
All in all im enjoying it, but Im sure there are others out there who think its a load of arse!!

It all depends on whether or not you want to partake in "the Art World.

Any course in particular you're thinking of?
Yeah, i think that's the distinction, the art colleges seem to teach it as a load of wanky bollocks, whereas places that are more career oriented seem to cover the nuts and bolts and get people thinking of it in a real world sense, which is what i'm interested in.

As for particular courses, i'm toying with the idea of going all out, saving a huge sack of cash, and doing a course in the states, focusing on photojournalism with a bit of fashion/portrait stuff thrown in. I figure if i'm going to spend the time doing it, i may aswell do the best course i can. The DIT one looks interesting, but the description is very general, it's new so it's got no reputation, and frankly, nothing could make me live in dublin for four years.

depends on whether the sort of work you want to get as a photographer will depend on whether they look for formal qualifications, if this is intended as a career enhancer - otherwise, photography is probably more enjoyable as a self-taught discipline.
I think i'm up against a wall as far as self taught stuff to be honest. I've read buttloads of books and all that, know all the theory, but i'd like to get into a focused learning environment to actually help the stuff sink in and end up using it. I would like a career in photography, and that's not going to happen off the back of the stuff i'm doing now.

Yeah, i think that's the distinction, the art colleges seem to teach it as a load of wanky bollocks, whereas places that are more career oriented seem to cover the nuts and bolts and get people thinking of it in a real world sense, which is what i'm interested in.

I think i'm up against a wall as far as self taught stuff to be honest.

I think the best thing about doing a course is the ability to meet like-minded people and also the challenge of coursework having to be completed. It helps you focus. You also get to meet professionals and, like any career, that's where the information comes from. Soak up their experience. A friend of mine is doing the Griffith College one. City and Guilds is a proper qualification. Do you get to look at yer man's "fetish" pictures as well?

I think i'm up against a wall as far as self taught stuff to be honest. I've read buttloads of books and all that, know all the theory, but i'd like to get into a focused learning environment to actually help the stuff sink in and end up using it. I would like a career in photography, and that's not going to happen off the back of the stuff i'm doing now.

thats pretty much how I felt. Going to the states would certainly give you a greater range of courses/specialities

I think the best thing about doing a course is the ability to meet like-minded people and also the challenge of coursework having to be completed. It helps you focus.
Exactly what i'm looking for.

Only problem now is getting the money together. Anyone have a spare fifty grand they're not using? Even the Hallmark course, ten months intensive, is bloody twenty eight grand. And you can get kicked out for swearing or not dressing nicely. Mad shit altogether.

one thing i would be wary about is the possibility of something you love being turned into a chore.
Ah yeah, but if the choice is between being safe about it and ending up working in this factory for the rest of my life, or taking the chance and working with cameras for the rest of my life... No brainer. Absolutely.

rsj what about the eddie adams workshop in canadialand?
Never even heard of them. Will go look now ;)

when you say career do you mean having a studio/taking pics of bands/heading out onto the streets for afp [instert wire/paper here]?

when you say career do you mean having a studio/taking pics of bands/heading out onto the streets for afp [instert wire/paper here]?
Yeah, all of that. Well, mainly the first two, but i'm resigned to having to do weddings and family portraits and shit, which i've no problem with, did it before as an assistant for three months in the US, beats the shit out of working in a factory.

Checked out that eddie adams thing, looks amazing but they only take 100 people a year based on portfolios. Chance of me getting in there...

a mate of mine is a travel photographer, has had stuff published in geo - a kind of asian version of national geographic, and has done work for national geographic traveler, etc.
he's completely self-taught. if you're going freelance, it's all about the portfolio. if you want a full-time position, an education will probably help, but i understand it'll still be your portfolio you'll be judged on.

a mate of mine is a travel photographer, has had stuff published in geo - a kind of asian version of national geographic, and has done work for national geographic traveler, etc.
he's completely self-taught. if you're going freelance, it's all about the portfolio. if you want a full-time position, an education will probably help, but i understand it'll still be your portfolio you'll be judged on.
Yes but i'm not going to get the skills to put together a decent portfolio from buying books and trying to absorb the info in them, at least not in any good time.

I understand where you're coming from, you obviously don't think a formal photographic education is a good thing, but i do for the reasons i've mentioned, and it's something i've decided to do.

i don't think it's a bad thing - but the stuff you seem to like taking does not strike me as the type of stuff which would be bought by people who would insist on photography degrees.

i don't think it's a bad thing - but the stuff you seem to like taking does not strike me as the type of stuff which would be bought by people who would insist on photography degrees.
Sorry if i'm a bit tetchy, big stress at work. I agree, the stuff i'm doing wouldn't require a degree, but i know there's not a decent living to be made shooting bands. I'd like to get into doing portrait stuff, commercial stuff, all that kind of thing, and i really don't have the motivation (or the time) to sit down and learn all that stuff from books. Like johnny said earlier, "the best thing about doing a course is the ability to meet like-minded people and also the challenge of coursework having to be completed. It helps you focus".

i know i shouldnt be bringing up threads again but this is important to me. i'm planning to do the certificate in photography in griffith college. got all the details and stuff- recently but i have to say i was shocked by the price just over 5000euro and i cant get a grant as its a private college. the like minded people is my main draw and completing coursework. but the price is shocking... i can afford it. and i really,really want to do it ... has anyone done this course that i would have commented upon their photos that could give me some feedback on this.

any advive much appreciated

i know i shouldnt be bringing up threads again but this is important to me. i'm planning to do the certificate in photography in griffith college. got all the details and stuff- recently but i have to say i was shocked by the price just over 5000euro and i cant get a grant as its a private college. the like minded people is my main draw and completing coursework. but the price is shocking... i can afford it. and i really,really want to do it ... has anyone done this course that i would have commented upon their photos that could give me some feedback on this.

any advive much appreciated

Im halfway through the part-time diploma course.

pretty good in some ways pretty bad in others; have learned loads, lecturers are very good and have gotten some good feedback. In terms of putting together a portfolio, I considerably better off than when i started. bad thing is its city and guilds based, and the assessment part of it is some of the most pointless shit Ive ever come across.

the only thing is, as a far as I know that the diploma course ceases to exist as soon as our class is finished, as there starting a 3 year full-time degree course from next year. Possibly the cost quoted to you was for this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back