St. Petersburg-Russia (1 Viewer)

Right,finally think i've everything
got the invitation/tourist voucher confirmation thingy this morning.
If they tell me they're only accepting the original i'll go through the roof.

Off to the consulate now, wish me luck!

clonan attack said:
Cyrillic?

CYRILLIC!
Although if your only staying in St Pete only it may not be an essential requirement.Plenty tourists around there that don't know how to read it i'd presume.Handy for the metro, to know which is the mens/womens, to know which door is in/which is out etc...

http://masterrussian.com/blday_greeting.shtml

St. Petersburg is my favourite city. Been a few times and lived there for a few months. Everything is difficult though, which I guess you're beginning to appreciate as regards the visa. There are lots of stories about muggings too, though I never got mugged myself.

Hmm, what do I recommend? The Hermitage I guess, though it's crowded in summer. If pickled deformed fetuses are your thing, try the Kunstkammer (Peter the Great's personal freakshow). An opera at the Mariinsky is worthwhile, if you like opera. The Dostoyevsky Memorial Museum is great, if you like Dostoyevsky. Hmmm, nightclubs tend to turn into stripclubs after a while, which is bizarre. Griboedov is a good one to try out on a Saturday night (a bit leftfield). Sphinx on Moscow Square and Zoom are good places to eat. It's almost the period of the White Nights too, so you should head down to the bridges on the Neva at night. Peterhof (an imperial palace some 40 odd km away) is really nice, and can be reached by hydrofoil from the Winter Palace. Banyas are good craic too. Tikhvin Monastery is worth a visit, to see the graves of Dostoyevsky, Tchaikovsky, etc. Hmm, what else? Loads to see really: Kazan Cathedral, Church of the Saviour on the Blood, Summer Gardens, Peter and Paul Fortress, etc.

I did a walking tour once, which was fairly average (though the guide did have up to date info on eateries, bars, etc.). It was with Peter's Tours, which leave from the International Hostel.

If you've any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Picked up my Visa today.
thanks so much for all yizzer help!
i actually wouldnt have bothered if not for yr collective help.

hope you all got repped by me.
ill be there on Monday,lets hope theres no muggings shenanigans

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back