Sony Reader (1 Viewer)

frona

Handy little invention or just another way for people to throw away their money?

Anyone have one? What is the memory card capacity like?

I dunno about that particular one but ereaders or whatever they're called are something I'd wait a few years before getting. When the price is down to a certain point they'd be class but too expensivo at the minute.

Copy of The Da Vinci Code €8.99
you leave it on the bus, who cares?

Copy of The Da Vinci Code on ebook €8.99 + £199
you leave it on the bus and you'd be fuckin ragin!

I don't think I see a ton of reasons to buy these yokes. They're pricey, there's issues with some of the stuff being DRM'd and to be honest I don't think books have been technologically superseded yet.

After all books can be carried around in your bag or pockets, don't require any external power source, can be passed around to your friends and family without copyright or compatibility issues, can be read upside down or sideways or whatever, can contain colour text and images and if you're like me you'll like them for things like covers, type of paper, bindings, etc etc

I guess epaper is a big improvement on everything that went before it though - I dunno if these things got cheap I could see myself getting one for technical books, or for things I'd read online or in pdf format now. I don't know if it would replace physical books though at least untill they sort out colour epaper.

After that, and if ebooks are cheap / easy to pirate I could well see them replacing a lot of books.

Heres a YouTube video that I used think was funny, but after looking at it just know i'm not so sure anymore:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Messed with one yesterday.

Surprisingly heavy.

Screen is impressive.

But waaaaaaaaaaaaay to fuckin expencive

i'd like one, maybe not one of the ones they have now but i dont like reading pdfs and stuff for too long on a computer monitor, i'd be more likely to read long ones on one of those reader yokes. i'd say after a week or two you'd get over them not being proper books and be downloading everything

i just had a thought..

you know the way mp3 players opened up the 'shuffle' generation..?
and people became more inclined to only have/listen to singles or single tracks from albums? well what does that mean for books?
will people read chapters from different books on shuffle?

to be honest, i dont see these cathing on, until they become pound shop cheap and DRM free.

look at it this way, books in the printed form have been around for hundreds or years, for considerably longer than say a vinyl record. records were born into a rapidly changing technological age and thus how we listen to music was and it going to change rapidly.

but i feel that books will always need to be books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back