Songwriting (2 Viewers)

I definitely have that beat I've written tunes played them live a few times not played them for a while because we're working on new stuff and then forgotten how to play the song and had to ask other members of the band to teach me the song which I wrote in the first place. Which goes to show what effect your early twenties can have on the state of your brain.

That's very odd, ann. Have you ever tried finishing a whole song before you write it down?

Also:

Visitors found this thread etc..."site:thumped.com"

i'm really bad at songwriting in terms of having any stable method whatsoever, but i've definitely never done that. i'd be so scared of forgetting something that i generally wrote songs by recording them which is a bad habit which has probably contributed to my lack of finished songs over the years.

I record my tunes onto a cassette soon as I get em
write the words on paper as they come
Cant remember shit..need to work on it

Recently I wrote all the lyrics to The Christmas Band on a sheet of paper as a long poem, with no music. Then the next day tried strumming cords and singing until something worked. As far as I remember that is the only time I've worked like that.

I definitely have that beat I've written tunes played them live a few times not played them for a while because we're working on new stuff and then forgotten how to play the song and had to ask other members of the band to teach me the song which I wrote in the first place.

pete uploaded a video of the first corpo album launch a while ago. there's one song in the middle that neither me or joss have any recall of at all. shame, as it seems deadly!

Yup I do this too. It's fun listening back ages later and you find you can't remember some of the stuff you put down!!

Now if only I could kick this songwriting year off and write something......

I write a good bit and like to think that if I don't remember it then it probably wasn't any good. Sometimes it's a pain though if you're trying to recall something that seemed promising and it's completely lost. I used to do the writing and recording at the same time approach more when I used an 8 track and/or was making different kinds of music.

Yup I do this too. It's fun listening back ages later and you find you can't remember some of the stuff you put down!!

Now if only I could kick this songwriting year off and write something......

finding ones you forgot about is one of the best things that can happen to you...it's like finding a €50 in a jacket you havent worn in ages...ahh man..good times(edit..except that €50 is worth money)

I write a good bit and like to think that if I don't remember it then it probably wasn't any good. Sometimes it's a pain though if you're trying to recall something that seemed promising and it's completely lost. I used to do the writing and recording at the same time approach more when I used an 8 track and/or was making different kinds of music.

yeah,I hear what yer saying about maybe some arent worth remembering,,but how can you know that for sure...all it takes is who knows but,yknow?

i feel like bertia herron for the way i dodged that question and then sat about till das nugs answered it.

however, to answer - two of the songs on the next thing were written in my head by memory over a very long long time. one of them was started around 2004ish as i found a demo of the melody with that date. I suppose i came from the point where i wrote just rhymes/prose for years and then started liking music and applied it, so i generally 'home territory' for me is a pen and paper and a guitar. the song is very much finished to me in my head when i reach the full stop on the last line.

I've got meself locked into a non-completion cycle...my mobiles voice memo is my notebook. I run for a quiet corner or the jax(wife reckons I've bowel issues) when i've the tune, chords and feel of a song gaining traction in my head. I have around 150 snippets of ideas, verses, gibberish, melodies on the phone. I've completed only a handful. Would kill to have a week to record....feckin pro-tools hasn't been opened in six months. Piss poor time manager me!

and I may have bowel issues.

I've got meself locked into a non-completion cycle...my mobiles voice memo is my notebook. I run for a quiet corner or the jax(wife reckons I've bowel issues) when i've the tune, chords and feel of a song gaining traction in my head. I have around 150 snippets of ideas, verses, gibberish, melodies on the phone. I've completed only a handful. Would kill to have a week to record....feckin pro-tools hasn't been opened in six months. Piss poor time manager me!

and I may have bowel issues.

150?

ahh here.....you can throw a few my way if ya like

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back