Songs by one band that sound like another band. (1 Viewer)

That's amazing. Those lazy cunts.

yeah... I had seen that before. it's a bit hard not to think that alright. I kind of tried to ignore it. I will say that I do feel like a bit of a sucker now though.

Obviously they are all samples in hindsight... its just... yeah. It does seem like a handy number they are on.

Nirvana's Come As You Are has the exact same riff as Eighties by Killing Joke but then everyone knows that !!

Seriously though, while writing Come As You Are, did no one in the band at any stage ever stop playing and say "Hey, Kurt! Isn't this just a complete fucking rip off of Eighties by Killing Joke?"

Or was it that everyone in the band knew but was afraid to say so. It must have been painful making the video for that dodgy number. 'Shit, I can't believe that we're getting away with this! Are we getting away with this?...We're getting away with this, cool!'

Seriously though, while writing Come As You Are, did no one in the band at any stage ever stop playing and say "Hey, Kurt! Isn't this just a complete fucking rip off of Eighties by Killing Joke?"

Or was it that everyone in the band knew but was afraid to say so. It must have been painful making the video for that dodgy number. 'Shit, I can't believe that we're getting away with this! Are we getting away with this?...We're getting away with this, cool!'

(Doesn't answer your question but...)

From Wikipedia -

Killing Joke controversy

When Nevermind was released, members of the British post-punk band Killing Joke claimed the main guitar riff of "Come as You Are" plagiarized the riff of their own single, "Eighties". The band, however, did not file a copyright infringement lawsuit, which according to Rolling Stone was "due to personal and financial reasons." In some interviews, Jaz Coleman stated he did not file a lawsuit because the members of Nirvana openly confessed to him that they indeed took the riff, which he said was all he wanted to hear.[2]
However, conflicting reports state that Killing Joke did file a lawsuit but that it was thrown out of court,[3] or that it was dropped following Cobain's death.[4] Geordie Walker, Killing Joke's guitar player, stated that:[5]
"We are very pissed off about that, but it's obvious to everyone. We had two separate musicologists' reports saying it was. Our publisher sent their publisher a letter saying it was and they went 'Boo, never heard of ya!', but the hysterical thing about Nirvana saying they'd never heard of us was that they'd already sent us a Christmas card!"
Nevertheless, apparently neither band held a grudge about this; ex-Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl played drums on Killing Joke's thirteenth (second self-titled) album in 2003, and recorded a version of their song "Requiem" with his own band, the Foo Fighters. The Foo Fighters even performed "Requiem" live with Coleman at a New Zealand concert.[1]

yeah... I had seen that before. it's a bit hard not to think that alright. I kind of tried to ignore it. I will say that I do feel like a bit of a sucker now though.

Obviously they are all samples in hindsight... its just... yeah. It does seem like a handy number they are on.

Which ever way you look at it, some of that original material is really good stuff.

"
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
" by David Hasselhoff really reminds me of The Chalets. Seriously. Listen to it.

Turn had that song where he goes "why can't you look after yourself coz it's always you and me" to same tune as the line in Lemonheads "Big Gay Heart" where he sings "why can't you look after yourself and not down on me".

That Frames song "Mighty Sword" is a total rip off of that Bonnie Prince Billy song "One With The Birds" (I think).

What's that U2 song that's like that A-Ha song?

Queen Kong's "Photograph"- Kraftwerk's "The Model".

Belle and Sebastian: Wrapped up in books is Cliff Richard's "Out in the Country" or whatever that song is called.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back