songs and crying (2 Viewers)

Donkey OJ

anyone know that superchunk tune - detroit has a skyline? the acoustic version in particular. reason i ask is i'm wondering does it make you cry. i know 3 girls who for some reason cannot hold the tears in when they hear this tune. granted they're girls and stuff. its not a particularly sad song either. indecipherable lyrics and stuff. might be something to do with indecipherable lyrics, witness michael stipe and the emotion in his words. is there anything else out there that illicits the same tear jerk response in ye well 'ard thumped'rs? Mogwai - R U still in 2 it does it for me. And Slint's Washer. Which i was just listening to hence the rambling straw poll.

Billie Holiday does it for me
I dare anyone to listen to Lady In Satin all the way through without blubbing

i was in the chinema watching lost in translation and that my bloody valentine tune "sometimes" came out of nowhere and i hadnt heard it in years and it absolutely floored me. more indecipherable lyrics. uncontrollable emotion is very humbling.

Close my eyes, feel me now, i don't know if i could not love you now... you and me meh nehneh neheh muhmuhnememeemm

best i can do

Ian said:
Close my eyes, feel me now, i don't know if i could not love you now... you and me meh nehneh neheh muhmuhnememeemm

best i can do
cheers ian. appreciate the effort:eek: I think i'm happier/sadder not having a clue what they're on about.

Donkey OJ said:
anyone know that superchunk tune - detroit has a skyline? the acoustic version in particular. reason i ask is i'm wondering does it make you cry. i know 3 girls who for some reason cannot hold the tears in when they hear this tune. granted they're girls and stuff. its not a particularly sad song either. indecipherable lyrics and stuff. might be something to do with indecipherable lyrics, witness michael stipe and the emotion in his words. is there anything else out there that illicits the same tear jerk response in ye well 'ard thumped'rs? Mogwai - R U still in 2 it does it for me. And Slint's Washer. Which i was just listening to hence the rambling straw poll.
Here they are... what say you now, not sad, really????

As soon as I got home
Reached for the phone
Drank my sleep from a can
Playing tracks 6 and 7, again and again

I had a crush
Nothing works out
Well, I had faith
Could not have known; don't even say it.

Meet me again, maybe one mile high
Meet me again, and I won't flake this time
Meet mee again, Maybe a year from now
Meet me again, I think we both remember how

There was no architect designed this veiw
He could not have known about you
Mouse homes, catacombs
Detroit has a skyline, too
Detroit has a skyline, too

I had a crush
Nothing works out
Well, I had faith
Could not have known; don't even say it

ostrichsyndrome said:
Here they are... what say you now, not sad, really????

There was no architect designed this veiw
He could not have known about you
them 2 lines are the clinchers. you know the song? whats it about? granted - individually certain lines are evocative or whatever but wtf is going on in the song? like "mousey homes, catacombs"? sounds deadly but what is it about the song that would it make 3 completely different people cry *every* time. I'm thinking it has a lot to do with the emotion in his voice as he sings it aswell

Donkey OJ said:
them 2 lines are the clinchers. you know the song? whats it about? granted - individually certain lines are evocative or whatever but wtf is going on in the song? like "mousey homes, catacombs"? sounds deadly but what is it about the song that would it make 3 completely different people cry *every* time. I'm thinking it has a lot to do with the emotion in his voice as he sings it aswell
Probably, i know the song, it reminds me of a girl i used to see... she liked it, it made her cry also... think the albums called the strings come in, or something like that... women!

What a lovley thread. There's an old kitchens of distinction tune called. "Air shifting" I think. Its a b side offa one of their 12" jobbies. Brings a lump as i split up with my then girly to it.

Latex lizzie said:
What a lovley thread. There's an old kitchens of distinction tune called. "Air shifting" I think. Its a b side offa one of their 12" jobbies. Brings a lump as i split up with my then girly to it.
i Thought u were a girly, i suppose you never know in this place with the whole hag/ms.b.haven thing going on.

These lines from the song were the clincher for me...

I had a crush
Nothing works out
Well, I had faith

Why did someone bring this up???? fuck

ostrichsyndrome said:
i Thought u were a girly, i suppose you never know in this place with the whole hag/ms.b.haven thing going on.

These lines from the song were the clincher for me...

I had a crush
Nothing works out
Well, I had faith

Why did someone bring this up???? fuck
yeah solly. its sometimes perversely enjoyable to tap into those emotions. sometimes it makes you want to not do any work and concentrate on the shivers up & down your spine. like pre-natal classes. i'm such a cheesy fuck but its shivers up my spine that has me hooked on the whole musical thing. Smells and their ability to trigger emotion is another "To Be Explored Separately" phenomenon. Did you see them (ka-chunk) in the village that time they played? Crap attendance made me the most dissapointed I've ever been for any band ever. About 50 people turned up. Cracking gig tho. Literally ended up playing requests for those that were there. Played Driveway to Driveway after I asked them once. reminds me of a mate whos far far away that song does. excuse me while i depress myself in private.......

ostrichsyndrome said:
think the albums called the strings come in, or something like that
that album is called "heres where the strings come in". the real tear jerking version is on the b side of hyper enough or on that new double album relase of bsides and rare stuff. they're a cracking band for completely re-working a song acoustically. great songs. i bought a tshirt off the bass player once. just cos she's hot. she took my money like a streetwalker and never looked back :(

Donkey OJ said:
Mogwai - R U still in 2 it does it for me.
yeah that chap from arab strap has very sad but dulcet tones
there's a song he sings on a reindeer section album thats brilliant... whodunnit

such great heights - by the postal service. the other end of the spectrum. such a fucking happy song. my g/f cannot listen to it without beaming. and then the tears come. weird one that. the shins do an acoustic version aswell somewhere. which is really nice.

right! thats the last reply to my own thread. promise.

moc said:
yeah that chap from arab strap has very sad but dulcet tones
there's a song he sings on a reindeer section album thats brilliant... whodunnit
"you are my joy" reindeer section. another classic happy song. anyone ever dance to it while off their heads. better than vicks for the rush it is :D

all the tear jerkers are chick related...

mahogany - snow patrol
dont i hold you - wheat
transatlanticism - death cab for cutie
quick by the dudely corp
no 3 of sigur ros ( ) too

i once cried over 'ecocide' by earth crisis, which is pretty lame. various sleater-kinney, the streets and ben folds five songs have been known to set me off like a fucking fountain as well. oh and 'there is a light that never goes out'.

didn't see them in dublin, was away at the time... i hate when i'm reminded of people by songs. it's always girls and its always break up days,

i can no longer listen to the following
whipping boy 'we dont need nobody else'
trail of dead 'mistakes and regrets'
fountains of wayne 'denise'

women!!! i love them

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back