Social Centre Membership/Sponsorship? (1 Viewer)

São Paulo Punk

Website
myspace.com
As you may or may not know, Seomra Spraoi a is group working towards opening a space/centre in Dublin so that we will finally have a focus point for all the different stuff going on in Dublin and, please God, a cafe/venue/practice space in the future as things develop over time.

The current plan is to rent a building in Dublin to start off as a meeting space with a view to running different workshops and whatever else people would like to use the space for.

We are going to begin approaching people at gigs soon to ask them if they would be willing to pay a monthly 'standing order' of 10euros or 20euros from their bank accounts(depending on their own financial situation and how much they're willing to give) into the Seomra Spraoi account (which we have opened in a Credit Union) so that we can build up the required finances for covering a deposit, rent, bills etc...

Using the 'standing order' system, the person paying will be able to start or stop whenever they want and will not be tied to any contract (or other bullshit where they end up paying money out of their account when there's nothing left in it).

We will be providing forms at gigs so that people can fill them out with their bank details if they wish to start giving a monthly payment.

From there we will have to see whether or not we're going to start running the space on a membership basis. Either way, no person will be given preference or hold any power over others based on the amount that they pay to the centre per month.

WHAT DO PEOPLE THINK ABOUT THIS? WOULD THERE BE ENOUGH SUPPORT?
DO YOU FEEL IT WOULD BE WORTHWHILE?

I'd be willing to pay subs but I don't (as well as a lot of people I'd say..) have a bank account. And I'm not sure what the situation is with having a standing order lifted from your credit union account and put into another one.

I know it's a pain in the balls to keep right, and it does require a lot of trust but a membership book in which people pay their subs and are marked off every month could work alongside it.. think that's what the 924 Gilman crew did. It would help those people who aren't bank-account-minded!! And I'm sure people would be sound enough about paying out for such a useful resource.

its a great idea especially if there is rehersal space on a bring your own gear basis as most bands pay stupid ammounts to rehearsal studios every month.I think your right about having a bank standing order though as it will save the hassle of chasing people for subs.Its free after all to open a bank account and if your a student you dont have to pay fees.

It's a great idea. Ideally it'd be good to keep banks out of the loop. You'll probably be approaching them though if you manage to get a premises.

Credit unions are set up on the co-operative ethos and offer grants to co-ops so keep the account there. I think it'd be a good idea for people who pay subs to be "seomra spraoi cairde" or something like that. If/when the building takes off then they could be given support in return for the support they gave.

i'd be up for knockin a tenner a month. i'm bank of ireland....do i set it up with my local branch or with your one?
also i reckon benafit gigs galore would be a nice idea, as well as having a tip jar at gigs and stuff.....how bout it?

brian/heathons said:
its a great idea especially if there is rehersal space on a bring your own gear basis as most bands pay stupid ammounts to rehearsal studios every month.I think your right about having a bank standing order though as it will save the hassle of chasing people for subs.Its free after all to open a bank account and if your a student you dont have to pay fees.

One of the very first things that must be done is to build a well sound proofed room for rehersals. This was one of my primary reasons for getting involved in this whole project from the beginning. Apart from that, with so many bands in need of one, it should be a really good earner for the centre, while providing affordable rehersal space for DIY bands at the same time.

I'm know a guy who built a studio at the back of his folks gaff so I'll hopefully be talking to him soon about the best way of doing it, keeping in mind that people may be having meetings while the latest krust ensemble are in the practice room, turned up to 11, blowing the shit out of their amps.

ci said:
I'd be willing to pay subs but I don't (as well as a lot of people I'd say..) have a bank account. And I'm not sure what the situation is with having a standing order lifted from your credit union account and put into another one.

I know it's a pain in the balls to keep right, and it does require a lot of trust but a membership book in which people pay their subs and are marked off every month could work alongside it.. think that's what the 924 Gilman crew did. It would help those people who aren't bank-account-minded!! And I'm sure people would be sound enough about paying out for such a useful resource.

That's cool, we'll take your money some other way, I promise. Lots of people just end up with bank a/c's these days because of the pay role system of the company they work for. As well as that, getting the dole payed into a bank account is a lot less hassle than having to do stuff like getting up before the post office closes to collect it.

Napalm said:
Any idea of the up and runnning costs for the first 12 months? My guess 25,000 yo yo's. Rent, Insurance, Leccy, etc:
Dublin Food Co-op are looking at a premises at the moment - in DUBLIN 8. Size is 5,000 sq feet and rent/rates/insurance will be over 100K a year - electricity/maintenance NOT included

Napalm said:
what about a charity setup? or a legit business plan, cash flow outside of practice space money etc: will not be sufficent to rent/run a space.

We've looked at all those sort of options already but there's just not enough people around to be able to commit to something of that scale. Also, the beuracracy is such an arse that it would be very expensive and complicated to just get the thing off the ground.

For now we're looking at starting with something small that will hopefully develop over time to become a bit more like what you're on about.

There's regular meetings on at the moment about all this. Send us a PM if you're interested in going along to one. The more input and ideas we get from people; the better, and the more useful the space will become.

I really dont want to see it becoming a punk/hippy/lefty ghetto that people feel put off going to cause they're not part of the 'in crowd'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back