Snowboarding (1 Viewer)

george mcfly

My Name Is Prince.
oh hi i wanna go snowboarding this year after Christmas.

i've never been before, so i need some recommendations as to where's best to go.. where should i book.. what do i need to bring?
is it too late to be booking for a post Christmas trip?

thnks gys

Snowboarding is so much fun. For 5 years I didn't go on a summer holiday, I went to the snow instead. It's not too late at all, sign up to directski.com and you'll get their emails with special offers.
When were you thinking of going? With global warming etc. it's risky to go at Christmas or in early January. There might not be enough snow, especially in lower-altitude resorts. Late January or early March is best, February is so busy you'll spend most of your time queueing for lifts.
If you can afford it, timewise, look at lastiminute.com. Their deals to Canada are unbelievable, but you'd need to go for at least 10 days to justify the 10-hour flight. Having been to Canada last year, I'd find it very hard to go back to The Alps again. Snow is much better and it's cheaper too.
Otherwise, check out Livigno in Italy. Cheap and lots of slopes. Also it's very high up, so lack of snow won't be a problem.
Best of luck, and invest in a pair of impact shorts, or you won't be able to sit down after your first day.:)

I went skiing once, about 15 years ago. Been snowboarding 6 times. I don't know whether one is more fun than the other. Most young people seem to snowboard, while old fogeys are on skis. That might make your decision for you;)
Basically, the learning curve is very different. The first 2 days snowboarding are really tough, lots of falling over, no poles to keep yourself up. However, once you get the hang of it, it's very easy to progress.
Skiing is easier at first, mainly because it's easier to keep your balance with the poles. But you won't improve as quickly.
Simply put, after 1 week, you'll be a better snowboarder than skier.
I also can't stress the importance of impact shorts enough. You will fall on your arse a lot, and ice is harder than concrete. One of my mates had an arse like a turnip after the first day. We all bought impact shorts the next morning.

ooooo i'm liking the idea of Canada.. tell me more

We went to Fernie, in British Columbia last January for 12 days. Booked it with lastminute.com, flying from Manchester. Cost 420 sterling each. Aer Lingus to Manc was around €50 return.
Canada was fricking awesome, as they'd say themselves. About a foot of new snow every day! Falling was like falling into your bed. Meant I tried a few jumps etc. which I wouldn't have done in Europe.
As for Fernie itself, it's not for beginners. It's nickname is Steep and Deep! Took a daytrip to Panorama, which was great. Much better for beginners I would think.
One thing to note, Canadian resorts are very different to European ones. Generally, the actual resort is a few miles from a town. It's best to stay in town and get the free shuttle bus to the slopes every morning. There is nothing to do in the resort at night. In general Canadian nightlife is quieter than in the European resorts I've been to, but you'll still find a bar I'm sure.
Check out lastminute.com and you'll be shocked at the cheap prices...

if you're gonna hit canada head to banff, dude.
i'm going snowboarding myself in canada around feb :)
canada is all about big mountain riding - heaps of trees, big parks, amazing terrain. have you gone riding before? because i would personally save canada until you can hit the hill without having to stay on baby/green slopes.

if you are starting off, i'd recommend somewhere like andorra, meribel or val d'isere. they are great mountains and can offer heaps for a beginner. andorra is particularly good for beginners.

that's if you are a beginner.

be prepared to spend some time on your ass, wrists and knees the first day or so. remember to push your body DOWN the mountain, even though your instincts will tell you not to.
keep your knees bent and really sit your ass into your stance, it will help you keep up heaps better and help you flow into your turns.

if you're gonna hit canada head to banff, dude.
i'm going snowboarding myself in canada around feb :)
canada is all about big mountain riding - heaps of trees, big parks, amazing terrain. have you gone riding before? because i would personally save canada until you can hit the hill without having to stay on baby/green slopes.

if you are starting off, i'd recommend somewhere like andorra, meribel or val d'isere. they are great mountains and can offer heaps for a beginner. andorra is particularly good for beginners.

that's if you are a beginner.

be prepared to spend some time on your ass, wrists and knees the first day or so. remember to push your body DOWN the mountain, even though your instincts will tell you not to.
keep your knees bent and really sit your ass into your stance, it will help you keep up heaps better and help you flow into your turns.

would it be worth going to Andorra at the end of Dec?

riskin it snow wise??

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm after last season it's so hard to tell - i was in zermatt in december but that's one of the highest resorts in that range and while the snow was grand, the man-made snow had been better in china when i was snowboarding there in january!!

andorra may be good for starting but it doesnt really have altitude on its side. then again this season may not be as bad as last, it's just hard to know unfort.

if i were you i'd look early '08 to go away as the season by then will have had a chance to kick in, there will be a nice base on the hill and *hopefully* some powder to soften all those blows :)

M' goin banff next year. Was considering taking some lessons, but the whole snowboarding thing just seems so.....active. Drinking's a national sport over there too, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back