• Views 2K
  • Watchers 0

meta

Website
www.visi.com
sluTmachine
text.image.sound.by.gavin.duffy.1-14 february 2002
www.smilingmadeeasy.com/sluTmachine

sluTmachine is a collection of text, manipulated images and resampled sounds presented
via macromedia flash.
It is the artists visual and sonic reflection on the last 50 years in society and all
formats were combined to present a
collection of 5+ pieces in which each one has a subtle but significant reference point.
Gavin Duffy has been working these mediums for the last year and this is his first
exhibition.

regards,

gavin duffy

* if you know of anyone who might be interested in this exhibition please pass this email
on to them. thanks.

i like it because i don't get it. like i can read the english and look at the pictures and hear the sounds but where they all meet ... is that a place called art? if so, i like art... but only because i don't get it. i get some art ... i think, but maybe that's because i get it and most other people don't. is art like a club? some days you're an honourary member and other days your clothes just aren't suitable for this establishment? if so, i like it. but only because i don't get it. or do get it. depeneds on the day. or does it? one could argue that it depends on the medium but i in turn would argue that the medium is inconsequential. but that really depeneds on whether you get it or not. personally, i do get it and that's why today, i'm eating cress sandwiches and sipping ginger ale with my friends, in the the clubhouse at the institute of art. but who knows, tomorrow i might be made feel unwelcome ... becuase i got something my friends didn't get and because them not getting it meant it was art, i found myself happier for having gotten it but out on my ear. i guess i just don't get it. oh, i get it, i get it just fine. just not today.

duh! i'm becomming a slut, Feb 1-14. what are you? stupid or something? i thought everyone was doing it... am i the only one? does that mean it is art? i don't get it.

it could've been, but no i meant he's actually desperate for a sh*g... it isn't that i'm not flattered or anything ;)

that's rubbish. i had a shag last night and this morning. in fact i had 2 this morning but the first one didn't really count becuase i was kind of asleep. same with the one last night actually. oh ... oh now i get it.

Tell me about your momma.

hag (01 Feb, 2002 03:38 p.m.):
that's rubbish. i had a shag last night and this morning. in fact i had 2 this morning but the first one didn't really count becuase i was kind of asleep. same with the one last night actually. oh ... oh now i get it.

I like it meta.

On the subject of art (or ort, as ortists call it): it can be elusive. And because it's elusive, it's misunderstood. And because it's misunderstood, it's derided.

Let's say I have created the following art:

"ner-nee ner-nee ner-nee ner-nee"

People with a taste for spookiness would identify with it because it's the music from the Twilight Zone. Others who are into muppets would identify with it as the ramblings of the Swedish Chef. In actuality, it is about the two (real) brothers of country and Irish singer Declan Nerney, namely Bernie Nerney and Ernie Nerney.

Art works on many levels for many people, ONLY when you don't explain what it means. That's why it's often elusive.

what the fuck am I on about? I'm going back to the "dump" thread

snakybus (01 Feb, 2002 04:07 p.m.):

Let's say I have created the following art:

"ner-nee ner-nee ner-nee ner-nee"

People with a taste for spookiness would identify with it because it's the music from the Twilight Zone. Others who are into muppets would identify with it as the ramblings of the Swedish Chef. In actuality, it is about the two (real) brothers of country and Irish singer Declan Nerney, namely Bernie Nerney and Ernie Nerney.

Art works on many levels for many people, ONLY when you don't explain what it means. That's why it's often elusive.

i thought it was an ambulance...

snakybus:

i'm sorry snakybus, you might be a nice guy but hag think's you're a dick for saying that stuff. you so don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back