Sleaford Mods (1 Viewer)

The Streets is maybe more apposite, yes. Voice-of-young-Britain-telling-it-like-it-is and whatever else people said about him.
The first record was great. Second was spotty.
He was kinda found out too though.
found out? did he turn out to be a royal or something?

found out? did he turn out to be a royal or something?

More that he was just the voice of himself and had nothing particular to say about society.
The entire second record was based on some money falling down into the back of an old telly and no one could find it.
In the end, he was just a guy down the pub that wanted a girl to like him.

Listening to a bit of these guys this evening. There's a hint of John Cooper Clark going on

Not a bad thing

I can't imagine buying a record but a live performance might be worth a look

(desperately trying to enjoy contemporary music using reference points I can relate to)

Any of you still put on gigs? I have a feeling that these boys would be fucking awesome in the flesh
there's a dublin show planned for some stage this year, don't think there's an exact date yet. haven't heard the new lp yet but super psyched for it. austerity dogs was easily my most played record of last year. fucking awesome

If I want Johnny Cooper Clarke, I can listen to Johnny Cooper Clarke. Music seems divided these days: singing is for xfactor, everything else is shouting and anger. I'm officially old.

Has there been a pop record in the last ten years that wasn't decided on by committee? Where's the 21st century Duran?

MIA maybe? I don't think anyone has that kind of pop power anymore. I think you'd need to be featured on both Game of Thrones and True Detective to break through. And only the National could do that, the opposite of Duran.

Hell no

But answering Hector Grey's question it was a hit that seemed to come from the artist rather than a committee

and it was singy angry (kind of) as opposed to shouty angry

Hell no

But answering Hector Grey's question it was a hit that seemed to come from the artist rather than a committee

and it was singy angry (kind of) as opposed to shouty angry

I was thinking of them more of a one-hit wonder kind of thing.

It pains me to say it but the closest to a truly populist band who had proper big, unashamedly pop hits written by themselves was probably the Killers?

oI htought you meant the 'quality'- point taken

Also, you're right about The Killers

remember when they were meant to be 'alternative'

Come to think of it Maroon 5 have had loads of big hits too

god help us

The Killers, eh? I'd say if you were in that band, and you were looking at Brendan Flowers you'd think to yourself "we're gonna make it." The lad's a star. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't like their music, but the boy has quality, can sing a little, full of himself, handsome, throws shapes, writes songs. Yeah, he's the real deal. Band were huge for a while. Hmmm. It all fits.

Nowhere near Duran, though. Pre 1987 Duran, that is.

The Killers, eh? I'd say if you were in that band, and you were looking at Brendan Flowers you'd think to yourself "we're gonna make it." The lad's a star. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't like their music, but the boy has quality, can sing a little, full of himself, handsome, throws shapes, writes songs. Yeah, he's the real deal. Band were huge for a while. Hmmm. It all fits.

Nowhere near Duran, though. Pre 1987 Duran, that is.
Suppose it all falls apart because he's also a happily married Morman while Duran Duran were all sex, drugs and Power Station sounds like a good idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back