sinus pain (1 Viewer)

cheryl said:
have you tried acupuncture?

that's what i was going to recommend, it helped me a lot.

the other thing that's worked for me (as i have a wonderful entire neck/jaw/sinus pain thing going on) is going to a chiropractor - for some reason, unknotting my neck seems to help my sinuses. i have no idea why, but hey, it works...

never, ever, ask mr. minka about sinus treatments, he will start discussing the time he had metal pipes stuck in his head and got to see the entire contents of his sinuses in a bucket.

what acupunturist would you recommend?

minka said:
that's what i was going to recommend, it helped me a lot.

the other thing that's worked for me (as i have a wonderful entire neck/jaw/sinus pain thing going on) is going to a chiropractor - for some reason, unknotting my neck seems to help my sinuses. i have no idea why, but hey, it works...

never, ever, ask mr. minka about sinus treatments, he will start discussing the time he had metal pipes stuck in his head and got to see the entire contents of his sinuses in a bucket.

I've had sinus trouble for years too but luckily don't often suffer from the pressure pain, but the post nasal drip drives me mental and what I've found works to alleviate that is driking plenty of hot drinks, preferably hot lemon drinks or herbal teas (not milky tea!), using a saline nasal spray (sterimar), getting plenty of rest and avoiding alcohol, dairy, bananas (anything mucous forming as you said before). Alot of things I've read recommend taking zinc supplements (see http://www.whatreallyworks.co.uk/start/factsheets.asp?article_ID=515). Always takes a while to clear up but I've found that if I don't take things easy for a while it just never really clears up, I had a real bad dose of it over winter this year.

As far as chiropractor goes, loosening up the neck and back will promote bloodflow to the affected areas which is a good thing.

As far as teeth grinding goes it ain't good for that whole sinus thing either - you might want to go to the dentist and see if you need a mouthguard.

Have you tried a neti pot?

neti-pot.jpg

I don't have one but perform a similar operation with a few teaspoons of warm salty water. It's not pleasent but it works.

kirstie said:
what acupunturist would you recommend?

i went to dr. jane li in the health and harmony clinic in portobello, she seemed very good. though she may make you drink vile herbal tea as part of your treatment.

oh, and seconding the salty water up your nose trick if you're really gunged. yucky but effective.

snap-apple said:
I've had sinus trouble for years too but luckily don't often suffer from the pressure pain, but the post nasal drip drives me mental and what I've found works to alleviate that is driking plenty of hot drinks, preferably hot lemon drinks or herbal teas (not milky tea!), using a saline nasal spray (sterimar), getting plenty of rest and avoiding alcohol, dairy, bananas (anything mucous forming as you said before). Alot of things I've read recommend taking zinc supplements (see http://www.whatreallyworks.co.uk/start/factsheets.asp?article_ID=515). Always takes a while to clear up but I've found that if I don't take things easy for a while it just never really clears up, I had a real bad dose of it over winter this year.

As far as chiropractor goes, loosening up the neck and back will promote bloodflow to the affected areas which is a good thing.

As far as teeth grinding goes it ain't good for that whole sinus thing either - you might want to go to the dentist and see if you need a mouthguard.

hmm, interesting, i'd never heard that bananas were mucus-forming. and i eat a lot of bananas. hmm again.

minka said:
hmm, interesting, i'd never heard that bananas were mucus-forming. and i eat a lot of bananas. hmm again.

Yeah, strange one but have seen it mentioned a couple of places now. Also citrus fruit. Funny 'cos one of the first things I used to do when I got a bout of it was stock up on oranges thinking all that naturdl vitamin c must be good. Hot lemon drinks are still recommended though so it mustn't be the juice of the citrus fruit that's mucus forming.

thumped.com - underground mucus

The Mammy heard somewhere that breathing through your mouth leads to over oxygenation in the blood and swelling of blood vessels in your sinuses, so while that's the initial problem not being able to breath through your nose, just stick at it after you blow it or something an just try and breath through your nose only, cuts down the swelling in the sinuses. Kinda works, not magic though. Also on the mucus foods one feelar told me that'd be loads of foods like bread and potatoes aswell, eek. Said they cause mucus infrections in your sinuses.

Sorry to bring this up again...I'm in fucking rag order at the minute. Pain across my forehead, across my nose, bright green thick snot (yeeuuuwww), sore teeth, general misery...I've tried painkillers, sprays, hot drinks and so on and nothing is shifting it after 3 weeks or something. Will antibiotics help?

Oh the fucking misery. I just want to chop off my face.

yes, you have an infection. Go to the doctor and get antibiotics, you'll probably be prescribed klacid - they can be murder on the stomach though so if you're sensitive to antibiotics tell your doctor that. But get it treated cos it won't go away on its own and it's horrible.

deedee said:
Sorry to bring this up again...I'm in fucking rag order at the minute. Pain across my forehead, across my nose, bright green thick snot (yeeuuuwww), sore teeth, general misery...I've tried painkillers, sprays, hot drinks and so on and nothing is shifting it after 3 weeks or something. Will antibiotics help?

Oh the fucking misery. I just want to chop off my face.

kirstie said:
yes, you have an infection. Go to the doctor and get antibiotics, you'll probably be prescribed klacid - they can be murder on the stomach though so if you're sensitive to antibiotics tell your doctor that. But get it treated cos it won't go away on its own and it's horrible.

Thanks Kirstie for the tip. My stomach is very sensitive to antib's hence my reluctance to go to the doc to get some. It normally ends up with me buckled over in pain puking up black bile. Nice. BUT I am willing to deal with that to get rid of this intense face pain and general lack of energy etc.

(I'd like to rep you but I've no rep power...loser)

deedee said:
Thanks Kirstie for the tip. My stomach is very sensitive to antib's hence my reluctance to go to the doc to get some. It normally ends up with me buckled over in pain puking up black bile. Nice. BUT I am willing to deal with that to get rid of this intense face pain and general lack of energy etc.

(I'd like to rep you but I've no rep power...loser)

seconding kirstie's advice - get thee to the doctor! hope you're better soon.

my stomach hates antibiotics too, though i've discovered that that old mcdonnell's brand yoghurt really helps to alleviate the ghastly tum problems, way better than any of the other "live" yoghurts.

Hey DeeDee do you smoke?

I had recurring sinus problems for years and was getting sinus infections about four times a year so bad i'd be totally bed ridden..bizarrely always happened around the times the seasons changed. In the end the doc put me on nasonex nasal spray and neoclarityn. Both of which i took daily for about a year or so as he told me that it would take a while for them to get into the system etc. He also said i probably had a mild allergy to cigarette smoke and should quit (apart from other obvious reasons too). The spray had a steroid in it and gave me constant pains in the head and nose bleeds and i still kept getting the infections. Told the doc and he said no just keep taking them and that i should consider getting a 'scrape' done on my sinus'...Urrgghh no fucking way sunshine. Jacked in the tablets and spray and tried a few other things that have worked since. Try putting extra pillows on yer bed (lets the fluid drain better while you're sleeping), make sure you keep yer room well aired, cut down dairy in take and don't smoke (!) and avoid sniffing narcs! I've managed to quit to near nothing and have been sinus pain free for ages. Happy dayz. You might have a touch of hayfever too. Accupressure massage on your head and face helps.
Get well soooon!

As Kurt Wagner might sing:

the old fat robin
the old fat robin
sticks his beak into the ground
with the brain, the size of an eraser
kitty runs by causes
the robin, she does floppin'
soon another one lands there to replace her

hear the tweeting and your sinuses
count the pluses and the minuses
turn frustration into sadness
say goodbye to mister badness

a strong gust of wind
blows upside my balding head
makes my balls shiver
makes a lump in my hoaky bed
except for a squirtle and some gasoline
completely distracted by the american dream

hear the tweeting and your sinuses
count the pluses and the minuses
and though I may be wrong
we're so glad you came along

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back