Shock World Service: Summer Podcast - Cocteau Twins, Quiet Village, Grandaddy... (1 Viewer)

Shock

Website
www.stateofshock.net
4644560376_9a59e8e259_m.jpg

Shock World Service #034:
'We Will Wade in the Tides of the Summer' by Cian Ó Cíobháin

Psychedelic waves of sound are swept ashore as Cian Ó Cíobháin dutifully arrives with a special summer podcast.

subscribe at itunes here
subscribe at Google Feedburner here

01 Quincy Jones – Summer In The City
Nightmares on Wax built their career sampling the Quincy Jones cover of The Lovin' Spoonful's 1966 hit. Nevertheless, it's the Quincy Jones version, above all others, that has me seeking out urban green areas when the sun comes out.

02 Quiet Village – Too High To Move
The temptation when compiling a summer mix is to go 'all Balearic' and virtually anything on the 'Silent Movie' LP, released two years ago, would fit such an agenda.

03 The Avalanches – Since I Left You
The Avalanches' 2001 début LP, which was ably stitched together from hundreds of samples, mostly sourced from forgotten exotic records foraged from junk shops, is a record custom designed for summertime. This lead single contains samples from The Main Attraction, Rose Royce, The Duprees, Lamont Dozier, Klaus Wunderleich and Tony Mottola.

04 Saint Etienne – Spring (Air France Mix)
The pedants will call me up on the title of this Saint Etienne song from 1991, but the vibe is quintessentially summer. The original appears on the sublime 'Foxbase Alpha'; this version was released in 2009.

05 Grandaddy – Miner At The Dial-A-View
Summer comes to life at the mere plucking of a Spanish guitar. From the 2000 LP 'The Sophtware Slump'.

06 Bill Withers – Harlem
A song about the most hedonistic night of the week. The vibe is gleeful but there’s a bittersweet undercurrent. A tension that makes this song so delcious.

07 Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti – Round & Round
"Sentimental, heart-breaking, everything's my fault". . . L.A.'s Ariel Rosenberg has been making gorgeous lo-fi pop music for many years now and his new LP - 'Before Today' - on 4AD should see his music reaching a wider audience.

08 Caribou – Jameila
Pop of an electronic bent always sounds better when the sky is blue and the weather is warm and Caribou's recent LP 'Swim' is crammed with summertime hooks.

09 Mark E – R’n’B Drunkie
Mark E's re-work of Janet Jackson's 'R'n'B Junkie' - layered to perfection, with the line between tension and release deliciously taut - I sincerely feel goosebumps when that bassline thumps.

10 Jamie Jones – Ruckus (Discoid Dub)
The Welsh whizzkid only had one season in mind when he made this tune. Will be a fixture on the shores of the Med, from Mykonos to Bora Bora in the coming months.

11 Bibio – Lovers’ Carvings
The rays of late evening (and maybe late summer?) permeate this song from Bibio's 2009 LP 'Ambivalence Avenue'. I concede that it reminds me a bit of the melody from 'Dancing Queen'.

12 B-Movie Lightning – Triple Trouble
The mighty Mike Smalle, previously of Cane 141, with his original version of this song which appeared on my compilation 'An Taobh Tuathail Vol III'. The newer version, just released on his own Micropolis label, features an additional horn section – go seek on Itunes. This, I believe, is Mike's paeon to 'Streets Of Your Town' by The Go-Betweens, which once upon a time topped the BBC's most played song-list on sunny summer days.

13 El Guincho – Palmitos Park
From the sun-soaked Canary Islands, this cover of The Ruby Suns song is as warm and sultry as the environment in which it was conceived. And yes, it does sound a bit like Animal Collective.

14 Pixies – Velouria
From whence the title of this podcast came. From their underrated 'Bossanova' LP, an album that I will forever associate with teenage summers in West Kerry.

15 Pantha Du Prince – Im Bann
A Balearic time-out from the recent Pantha Du Prince album 'Black Noise'. The rest of the LP features sassy goatherd techno anthems from the Alps. I like it.

16 Spectrum – I Know They Say
Pete Kember, aka Sonic Boom from Spacemen 3 and recent producer of MGMT's second LP, released a gorgeous LP called 'Highs, Lows & Heavenly Blows' in 1994, which featured this twilight, seaside hymn. Slightly related note: I'm seeking an LP called 'Spectrum' from 1990, which he released as Sonic Boom. Please contact me if you have a copy.

17 Cocteau Twins – Frou-Frou Foxes In Midsummer Fires
I’ve long-felt that 'Heaven Or Las Vegas' is the Shangri-La of summer LPs. Bring it with you on the next sunny day, I swear you won’t be disappointed.

Cian presents An Taobh Tuathail (The Other Side) on RTE RnaG, weeknights at 11pm.

http://www.shockworldservice.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back