Shock Podcast 15 > Comsat Angeles, Devo, Jens Lekman (1 Viewer)

Shock

Website
www.stateofshock.net
header.jpg

The Shock Podcast#015 November 2008 by Jon Averill
[Click icon to subscribe through itunes or rss]

Podcast number 15 from Shock. Recorded by Jon Averill on Friday 7th Novmber 2008 and very very late as usual. We'll have another Podcast very soon to make up for it and also a very special Christmas day episode recorded by Cian O Ciobhain (An Taobh Tuathail/SiSi)

01 Eleni Karaindrou - Litany Variation 1
A sparse and beautifully piece of music from the Greek composer Eleni Karaindrou. Litany is taken from the Ulysses Gaze Soundtrack.

02 Jagat Skad - Home Squirrels
Don't know too much about Jagat Skad, other than you can legally download an album of varying quality from him here: http://jagatskad.de/blog-e/?cat=5

03 Menahan Street Band - The Contender
A collaboration of musicians from Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings (Dave Guy, Homer Steinweiss, Fernando Velez, Bosco Mann), El Michels Affair (Leon Michels, Toby Pazner), Antibalas (Nick Movshon, Aaron Johnson) and the Budos Band (Mike Deller, Daniel Fodder), brought together by musician/producer Thomas Brenneck (Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, Budos Band, Amy Winehouse) to record hits in the bedroom of his Menahan St. apartment in Bushwick, Brooklyn. With influences reaching beyond the funk, soul & afrobeat

04 Final Fantasy - Many Lives
A track from the occasional Arcade Fire violinist. This track is taken from the Many Lives EP from 2003

05 Codek - Tim Toum
From way back in 1982. As featured on the Sonar Kollectiv's compilation; Computer incarnations For World Piece.

06 Jeremy Jay - Airwalker
Los Angeles' Jeremy Jay is a singer/songwriter that rises above many of the cliches of the genre. Creating music thats understated, imaginative and spacious. Unimaginatively i've included his best known track; Airwalker.

07 Jens Lekman - At The Department Of Forgotten Songs
2 minutes of A fragility from the Sweede that will make you cry into your pint. We believe from an album of b-sides and hard to find stuff.

08 The Jesus & Mary Chain - Cracking Up
A track released to accompany their '21 Singles' compilation a few years back with an uber-infectious bassline.

09 The Chameleons - Up The Down Escalator
Another great Manchester band who like many bands championed by John Peel never really achieved the kind of recognition they deserved!

10 Lee Hazlewood - My Baby Cried All Night Long
A modern mornful ballad from the late Lee Hazlewod. One of the most unique voices in music. Probably best known for his duet with Nancy Sinatra; Some Velvet Morning. Voted best duet of all time recently by both The Telegraph and Q magazine.

11 Devo - Gut Feelings
Another mid-tempo funk infused workout from the legendary funny hat wearing four piece

12 Gang Gang Dance - First Communion
The only relatively new track on this month's Podcast is from Brooklyn's Gang Gang Dance. Its taken from their latest album Saint Dymphna.

13 Comsat Angles - Now I Know
Comsat Angles were recently described by film critic Mark Kermode as the band Joy Division would have been if they could play their instruments. Completely untrue, however 'Now I Know' is one of their very best.

14 Miracle Fortress - Beach Baby
The brainchild of Graham Van Pelt. Hailing from Montreal, i'm trying to describe them without mentioning the Beech Boys but I can't.

15 Apparat Organ Quartet - Romantika
Possibly named after one of my favourite deserts. The Apparat Organ Quartet is an Icelandic band founded in 1999 by Jóhann Jóhannsson. The NME would describe this track as Kraftwerk meets The Foo Fighters, but they're devious, truculent and unreliable according to Morrissey.

16 Ola - What A Way To Die
I don't know a huge amount about this record, other than its scratchy old 7" I have with a lot of drama and soul. It sounds a little bit like A Whiter Shade Of Pale and is a more than suitable way to finish this installment of the Shock Podcast.

Click here to subscribe through Feedburner
Click here to subscribe through itunes

or copy the feed into any podcast download software:
http://www.stateofshock.net/podcasts/podcast.xml

http://www.stateofshock.net/blog
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back