Supporter
Contributor
Since 1999
Website
www.thedudleycorporation.com
in rock.
those bits of a song that just make you go whoa

most recently, the outro of "where does yer go now" by Gorky's Zygotic Mynci

nice enough melancholy song, then in the dying seconds, at 3:24 these amazing john barry-esque strings kick in a counter melody to the orchestra. i remember saying fuck out loud on first listen

best ever, 'luau' by drive like jehu, just before the final monolithic riff enslaught starts, there's that bit at 6:50 where all of a sudden john reis's guitars get double tracked and suddenly hard panned in the mix. fucking amazing

theres a bit in that song "number 13" by the pixies off doolittle, its near the end, theres a solo of sorts then it reverts back to the build up and in classic santiago fashion he plays this really simple riff that sees the song out, theres something so understated about it and i dunno if it screams sexy moment but it gets me every time.

Good call, Pharmacist.

Good thread, Dudley.

"Friction" by Television, the bit between the lines "stop this head motion, set the sails / us art boys gonna wind up in jail" where Billy Ficca goes double-time on the hats and one of the guitars plays an amazing complementary riff. Hearing that snatch of music for the first time blew my mind, really made me go "these fellas are gifted"...and then "Marquee Moon" came next...

the last 30 seconds of wait in vain by bob marley.

the bit where it slows down in total trash by sonic youth off daydream nation

the breakdown in "i was a man" by jape.

Yeah, the solo on Marquee just kept on going and I kept wetting my pants. Thems were the days. The first time you hear it is always the best.

Good call, Pharmacist.

Good thread, Dudley.

"Friction" by Television, the bit between the lines "stop this head motion, set the sails / us art boys gonna wind up in jail" where Billy Ficca goes double-time on the hats and one of the guitars plays an amazing complementary riff. Hearing that snatch of music for the first time blew my mind, really made me go "these fellas are gifted"...and then "Marquee Moon" came next...

watching (and of course listening) to a live performance of taraf de haiouks at the union chapel in london: the song "mugur, murgurel" (little buds) has vocals so soulful i was almost moved to tears, but later in the track "a stork crosses the danube in the company of a raven", when the main melody kicks in (every time) i get this huge shiver up my spine. its like a rush on ecstacy, almost feel lightheaded. amazing. thats the moments that music is made for.

Julie Londons 'Cry me A River' the bit at the start where she opens her mouth and that noise scomes out of it..and continues throughout the song

sexy

"child among the weeds" by lal and mike waterson has this astonishing bit in the middle. lal sings the main part with the guitar backing then the in the middle mike sings a few lines unaccompanied and they make me want to run outside and do cartwheels and shout "hurrah for life!!" at everyone, especially on a nice morning like this.... here are the magick words (he belts them out...):

Fly bird fly on your raven wing.
Take to the sky and sing for the love of wheeling and turning.
The day has only just begun the silver sun is shining.
Wake up, wake up everyone the day is only dazzling.
Fly bird fly on your raven wing.
Take to the sky and sing for the love of wheeling and turning.

I'm pretty taken by the moment the percussion and brass come in on Beirut's 'Postcards from Italy'.

Just after the breakdown in Let Down on Ok Computer where it goes back into the original verse melody and Thom Yorke does this this incredible double track / backing vocal thingy.

Deadly stuff.

There's a subtle groove twist towards the end of Stereolab's Cybele's Reverie (single version) that makes me swoon. Raar Maximum will know what I'm referring to. Amazing.

some great ones mentioned already.sticking with stereolab there is that bit in 'Long Love Life' where you think the song can't get any better where it builds up then breaks down and Mary Hansen comes in with a killer hook and song changes completely leading on to a gorgeously cluttered finale(i'm not really explaining it too well).

also many of these moments are total accidents that are just left in.like when Kim Deal loses her voice singing "Oh!" towards the end and it just send comes out in a wail and gives you shivers.that one really sticks out as something unintentional yet makes the song infinitely better, for me anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back