Sexism, god help us (2 Viewers)

They should erect something big and phallic in the middle of Stillorgan - like a statue of Pat Kenny.

Watching Reeling in the Years the other day ..they showed the video for "Show some concern" which featured the Irish pop stars of the day; Maxi, Christie Moore, Pat Kenny...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

as you were

Why is women's tennis so popular?
because the mens game devolved into who can hit the ball fastest for an ace, rather than being about skill - so the womens' game was better to watch.

i say this with absolutely no knowledge of tennis, and can't remember where i heard that reason.

sport is sanitised combat, and men are more combative, so are more interested in sport.
that statement may not bear up to careful scrutiny, mind. or any sort of scrutiny.

Why is women's tennis so popular?

because the mens game devolved into who can hit the ball fastest for an ace, rather than being about skill - so the womens' game was better to watch.

i say this with absolutely no knowledge of tennis, and can't remember where i heard that reason.

sport is sanitised combat, and men are more combative, so are more interested in sport.
that statement may not bear up to careful scrutiny, mind. or any sort of scrutiny.

Crap you got there first. Yes that's why women's tennis is better.

Women's bodies are built different from mens there are plenty of sports where the womens versions are better, gymnastics for example but here's where you get accused of sexism

"oh right anything where you were skimpy outfits is it ?

Well no actually, so for example Male bodies are built for power so mens rugby and football have developed into what we now know because of that. Women's rugby and football aren't as good to watch because they're over reliant on trying to compete the same way that men do. They lack the same sense of identity that women's tennis or gymnastics have and thusly are (dare I say it) inferior.

The other example of where mens and women's physical differences are notable is on the track, so men are built for power and so Usain Bolt can smash records left and right and make millions, no woman will ever match that because physicality dictates they simply can't.

But over longer distances that power doesn't matter so the world record for mens marathon is not hugely different from the women's.

Basically some women's sports are better because they are better designed to play it, some are almost exactly the same and some like football or rugby will only improve as a spectacle when they develop their own identity based on female physicality instead of trying to copy the mens equivalent.

And finally this is exactly how and why Venus and Serena Williams ruined tennis as a spectacle for so long.

Bring on the accusations of sexism I'm ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back