Setting up yr own label question (1 Viewer)

RED(tape)MENACE

Since 2000
Website
www.myspace.com
I was reading various things, mostly that article on fmc-ireland on setting up your own label. The three main things it mentioned being good to do was to register with IRMA (done, i think) register with Chart Track ( kinda hard to figure out how to do - crap website ) and get a barcode from the EAN. Now I mailed the EAN, explaining what I wanted ie just a barcode or two over the year. They mailed back saying I needed to join and pay ( for Jan-Dec ... so I pay for half a year ) 240euro!?! Am I being ripped off? Do I even need to get a barcode?

you only need a barcode if you want you record regestered in the charts/monitor sales etc. look at most of the local releases in your collection from Julius Geezer, scientific Labretories, little plastic tapes, mango music et al. do any of them have or need a barcode?

Yeah, that's why I believed I needed them. Do tower take cd's without barcodes? If they do, and I know Road do, then screw the EAN...and all that sail in her.

Originally posted by dudley
some shops won't take stock without a barcode
our cd's had to have barcodes added by cargo in the uk

I presume cargo UK took care of the barcode thing for yee and it diddnea cost the corpo aout?

It's not the barcode that costs money; it's registering the product.
Getting a barcode is a matter of plucking a 13 digit number out of the air, basically.
If you know anyone in the retail business for themselves, they should have a barcode generator.
It might even be possible to do it online, but i'm not sure about that.

If you can't get a generator, just scan the barcode from a packet of corn flakes. The stores/distributors are just using this number for stock control so as long as it doesn't clash with their other stock, everything is cool.

d.

Y'know...I have a barcode printer in work. If that's the case I could just come up with a random number and lash them on the CDs. What are the chances of it clashing (fate duly tempted)

So you need an EAN barcode to chart right?

So do you need to set up a label to associate an EAN barcode with?

It costs a few euro to get an official EAN barcode...is it the general DIY/Thumped approach to ignore the rigmaroll associated with charting/barcodes and just release the CD/MP3s without them...as in "feck the charts, I'm not going to sell enough to my families and friends to get into the top 100".

When I got cds duplicated they asked did I want barcodes and they put barcodes on them. Also somehow all these online databases have the tracklisting etc of the cd.

What if you don't want to go down the CD route...just solely online downloads.

you register with IRMA, I think someone else too, you are given a code and everytime that code registers it's a sale...

I know someone who's done this, and we talked about it... but... I've forgotten... we were debating do they track where the buyer is or where the seller is for the charts and how that might matter...

How many copies will be pressed? Where do you realisticly think they will sell from-gigs/shops/direct mailorder etc? Weigh up how many you hope to sell in shops,chart eligible ones too if that's the goal,against the price to register and add a barcode etc.

They mailed back saying I needed to join and pay ( for Jan-Dec ... so I pay for half a year ) 240euro!?! Am I being ripped off? Do I even need to get a barcode?

I know some of those guys, and believe me they put in alot of work - 240euro is'nt bad really.I think if you joined with them it could help alot if your trying to get into the business.
All the best - Ed.

sidenote: - (although i've been compared to him myself quite often :)), you should check out Johnathon King, he ran Decca record back in the heyday of the industry.Some pointers for you maybe -
http://www.kingofhits.co.uk/content/view/6/24/

best of luck - Ed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back