[Sep 30, 2014] Michael Nesmith (Vicar Street) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Aiken Promotions presents
MICHAEL NESMITH
Vicar Street, Sep 30th

Tickets on sale Friday May 2nd @ 9am priced 36.50 from www.ticketmaster.ie & outlets nationwide

Legendary bobble-hatted Monkee, heir to the “liquid-paper” empire, innovative grammy-award winning video-maker, executive producer of Repo Man (!), and country-rock pioneer Michael Nesmith is hitting the road once again with a show he calls Movies of the Mind.

“Movies of the Mind uses the songs I’ve recorded over the years, starting back when I was just a solo folk singer,” says Nesmith of forthcoming dates. “A narrative setting has always accompanied each song in my mind – not so much what the song is about but more how it is set, like a gemstone in a ring or bracelet -- and I started introducing the songs with these narratives during a tour in the UK. The response was so positive that I refined the form and kept expanding the idea until Movies of the Mind came into being.”

In a career that has endured for almost 50 years, Michael Nesmith has made his mark on popular culture as a songwriter, performer, author, film producer, and actor.

Starting in the 1960s Nesmith found fame as one quarter of the principal cast of the television show The Monkees. Over the years his reputation grew as a songwriter, writing music for such performers as Linda Rondstadt, and had his solo recorded songs covered by artists ranging from Run DMC to Andy Williams. A successful film producer, he was heavily involved with such pictures as the cult-classic Repo Man and the John Cusack/Tim Robbins movie Tapeheads. In 1980 Nesmith conceived the original idea, and was one of the people behind the launch, of the revolutionary television channel MTV.

But it is Michael Nesmith’s prolific body of solo musical and performing work that brings him across the U.S. for these visits. The author of 15 solo albums, Nesmith was a key pioneer in the development of country rock music, most notably with his work with The First National Band. Then his 1975 album Prison – A Book With A Soundtrack introduced the innovative notion of combining a written story with recorded music. In 1976 he wrote and recorded the song Rio which was the music for one of the first music videos, which he also wrote and produced. That video is part of the permanent collection of the New York Museum of Modern Art.

His most recent recording is a live album of the Movies of the Mind and was released in Februray 2014 in a three edition limited set signed by the artist.

This body of musical work has been described by Rolling Stone magazine as “the greatest music never heard.” The opportunity to hear these compositions played in an intimate setting amounts to nothing less than a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

er... wasn't it cancelled a good while ago?

An administrator or the event organizer has deleted this event from the system.

This thread has now been automatically locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back