Search engine virus? (1 Viewer)

I Bleed Black

Website
www.myspace.com
I've got a virus on my laptop at the moment that is effecting all serch engines, google etc. Whenever I click the link on the google page it just opens up some dodgy looking serch engine. Norton tells me the virus is called Packed.Generic.200 and my norton virus protection won't get rid of it and I can't even get the page that deals with this virus on the norton website to open either.

Has anyone else had to deal with this virus? Any ideas how to get rid of it? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to stuff like this

Packed.Generic.200

Detected As: Packed.Generic.200

This threat is detected by the latest Virus Definitions.

All computer users should employ safe computing practices, including:

• Keeping your Virus Definitions updated.
  • Installing Norton AntiVirus program updates, when available.
  • Deleting suspicious looking emails.

You may also scan your PC for threats now, by using the free online Symantec Security Check.

To ensure complete protection against viruses and similar threats, please review Symantec's product offerings for Home & Home Office, Small & Mid-Sized Business and Enterprise users.

Removal Instructions

The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

1. Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
  2. Update the virus definitions.
  3. Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected.
  4. Submit the files to Symantec Security Response.

For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.

1. To disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP)

If you are running Windows Me or Windows XP, we recommend that you temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, a virus scan may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even though you have removed the threat.

For instructions on how to turn off System Restore, read your Windows documentation, or one of the following articles:

Note: When you are completely finished with the removal procedure and are satisfied that the threat has been removed, reenable System Restore by following the instructions in the aforementioned documents.

For additional information, and an alternative to disabling Windows Me System Restore, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article: Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder (Article ID: Q263455).

2. To update the virus definitions

Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:

• Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
  • Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted daily. You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).

The latest Intelligent Updater virus definitions can be obtained here: Intelligent Updater virus definitions. For detailed instructions read the document: How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater.

3. To scan for and repair the infected files

a. Start your Symantec antivirus software and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files.

b. Run a full system scan.
c. If any files are detected, click Repair (if available). If there is no Repair option, click Delete.

Important: If you are unable to start your Symantec antivirus product or the product reports that it cannot repair or delete a detected file, you may need to stop the risk from running in order to remove it. To do this, run the scan in Safe mode. For instructions, read the document, How to start the computer in Safe Mode. Once you have restarted in Safe mode, run the scan again.

After the files are repaired or deleted, restart the computer in Normal mode.

4. To submit the files to Symantec Security Response

Symantec Security Response suggests that you submit any files that are detected as generic to Symantec Security Response. For instructions on how to do this, read the following documents:

United States

Symantec.com

Partners

About Symantec

Shopping

WelcomeProductsViruses & RisksSupportDownloadsStore Search All of Symantec

Symantec.com > Home & Home Office > Support > Knowledge Base

PRINT THIS SOLUTION

RATE THIS SOLUTION
Disabling or enabling Windows XP System Restore

This information is for your convenience. System Restore is part of Windows XP. If you need help with System Restore, contact Microsoft technical support.

To turn System Restore off or on, you must log on to Windows XP as an Administrator. If you turn off System Restore, it deletes all previous restore points.

STEP 1
Print this page

We suggest that you print this page before you start.

Expand each section by clicking the "+" before you print the page. PRINT

Because you must return to this page after you restart the computer, add this page to Favorites.
STEP 2
Select the action that you want to perform
I want to turn off Windows XP System Restore

I want to turn on Windows XP System Restore

Available Translations:

RATE THIS SOLUTION
Was this solution helpful to you?
Yes
No
If any information was unclear, or the information you were seeking was not provided, please let us know. Your feedback will help us improve this service.

NOTE: Comments entered here will NOT recieve a personal email response.

Document ID: 2001111912274039
Last Modified: 04/21/2008
Date Created: 11/18/2001
Operating System(s): Windows XP
Product(s): TS_GEN

Site Index · Legal Notices · Privacy Policy · Site Feedback · Contact Us · Global Sites · License Agreements
©1995 - 2009 Symantec Corporation

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back