saving money on petrol (1 Viewer)

ann post

Supporter
Solutions
so most of this stuff is blindingly obvious,
but theres basically just few things you can keep in mind to save a few pound. i'm from the rural school of driving, so from 13 onwards i was capable of maintaining 70 on a road half the width of the car while lighting a major and changing the station, but in the 4 months since i actually went legit and did my test, the price of this petrol stuff is gone up about 4c, sometimes 8c in the wrong neighborhoods, so i went looking to see how i could reign in my driving a bit to compensate.

Energy Saving Tips

1. After starting the engine, it's best to drive off immediately. Idling pollutes the environment and leads to excessive fuel consumption.​
  2. You can drive smoothly and economically by avoiding high revs. Instead, depress the accelerator gently to drive away and change to a higher gear in time. Avoid depressing the accelerator repeatedly when your car is stationary as this uses more fuel and causes air pollution and noise.​
  3. Do not approach traffic lights at speed. If it is clear that you will have to stop, allow the vehicle to coast if possible.​
  4. Even if you only have to wait for 30 seconds, it is more economical to switch the engine off and start it again when necessary. Waiting? Switch the engine off!​
  5. Driving at high speed uses more fuel and cause even more pollution. Generally, fuel consumption and pollution increase above 50 mph (and particularly above 60 mph). Overtaking is often pointless. You don't save any time as you only move up one or two places in the traffic, while relatively large amounts of fuel are required.​
  6. Avoid unnessecary drag. Ensure that the doors, bonnet and boot close properly. Remove caravan mirrors and roof racks when not in use.​
  7. To drive economically you need to maintain a sufficient distance between yourself and the next vehicle. This way there is less need to react suddenly, you can brake and accelerate more smoothly.​
  8. On bends, reduce speed in time and accelerate smoothly when you are halfway through the bend. Late, heavy braking before the bend followed by rapid acceleration lead to excessively high fuel consumption.​
  9. If you watch the road ahead and anticipate any likely problems, your driving style will become smoother and better controlled.​
  10. Tyres in good condition and at the correct pressure improve both safety and fuel consumption. Be sure to check your tyres regularly.​
  11. An economiser is an excellent tool to use when learning to drive economically, ask your garage or dealer for more information.​

http://www.northlan.gov.uk/business...ways/what+drivers+should+know.html#Your Speed

so that link is interesting about the ethanol for petrol cars. i hear plenty about biodiesel but i didnt realise that there was a similar route for petrol cars. i dont know if anyone sells ethanol in donegal though.

just not on your test.
I failed me test two weeks ago for doing that.Yer man reckoned I shoulda had a driving lesson before hand.Sickened I was cos I was going on like I was Nigel Mansell or something beforehand.

Tyres in good condition and at the correct pressure improve both safety and fuel consumption. Be sure to check your tyres regularly.
Its pretty amazing how many people have tyres under inflated. Almost every time I get in a car that's buying petrol I just stroll over to the Air place and check the pressures, and almost every time there one or more tyres more than 10 psi off.

I think most people in America use the Air things when their tyre is flat. I used to ask when they last checked the pressures before I checked, but everyone just looked at me blankly, and said they presumed that was looked after during servicing.

I check the pressures on the bike about twice a week.... but, I'm a mentaller like that.

so most of this stuff is blindingly obvious,
but theres basically just few things you can keep in mind to save a few pound. i'm from the rural school of driving, so from 13 onwards i was capable of maintaining 70 on a road half the width of the car while lighting a major and changing the station, but in the 4 months since i actually went legit and did my test, the price of this petrol stuff is gone up about 4c, sometimes 8c in the wrong neighborhoods, so i went looking to see how i could reign in my driving a bit to compensate.

Energy Saving Tips

1. After starting the engine, it's best to drive off immediately. Idling pollutes the environment and leads to excessive fuel consumption.​
  2. You can drive smoothly and economically by avoiding high revs. Instead, depress the accelerator gently to drive away and change to a higher gear in time. Avoid depressing the accelerator repeatedly when your car is stationary as this uses more fuel and causes air pollution and noise.​
  3. Do not approach traffic lights at speed. If it is clear that you will have to stop, allow the vehicle to coast if possible.​
  4. Even if you only have to wait for 30 seconds, it is more economical to switch the engine off and start it again when necessary. Waiting? Switch the engine off!​
  5. Driving at high speed uses more fuel and cause even more pollution. Generally, fuel consumption and pollution increase above 50 mph (and particularly above 60 mph). Overtaking is often pointless. You don't save any time as you only move up one or two places in the traffic, while relatively large amounts of fuel are required.​
  6. Avoid unnessecary drag. Ensure that the doors, bonnet and boot close properly. Remove caravan mirrors and roof racks when not in use.​
  7. To drive economically you need to maintain a sufficient distance between yourself and the next vehicle. This way there is less need to react suddenly, you can brake and accelerate more smoothly.​
  8. On bends, reduce speed in time and accelerate smoothly when you are halfway through the bend. Late, heavy braking before the bend followed by rapid acceleration lead to excessively high fuel consumption.​
  9. If you watch the road ahead and anticipate any likely problems, your driving style will become smoother and better controlled.​
  10. Tyres in good condition and at the correct pressure improve both safety and fuel consumption. Be sure to check your tyres regularly.​
  11. An economiser is an excellent tool to use when learning to drive economically, ask your garage or dealer for more information.​

http://www.northlan.gov.uk/business...ways/what+drivers+should+know.html#Your Speed

How about taking the bike or walking?

This is bullshit car-owning guilt-avoidance fuckwittery.

Kiss my swiss.

flinstones_evacuate_florida.gif

I check the pressures on the bike about twice a week.... but, I'm a mentaller like that.

haha I too became this mentaller of late, with the car though. started with a slow puncture that kept having to be topped up, now I cant help checking the tyres at least once a week

Kiss my swiss.

ever try bringing a dog on a bus? cars have a place,-
obviously not to take ten minute journeys, but definitely were no decent public transport system is in place...I :heart:bikes but I also :heart:freedom of cars for country and beach with dog access.

Kiss my swiss.

I'd just like to point out that Captain A is mad into the bicycle. We also happen to live in a town with zero public transport so transporting anything that can't be brought on a bike unfortunately involves a car.

To drive economically you need to maintain a sufficient distance between yourself and the next vehicle. This way there is less need to react suddenly, you can brake and accelerate more smoothly.
they obviously didn't see the mythbusters episode about this - they increased fuel efficiency by about 50% by tailing an artic rig.

ahh but that was because they were in the trucks slipstream thus reducing friction and ....zzzzz

sorry I just nodded off there

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back