RTE and Irish composers / music (2 Viewers)

My reading of Tobin's comments is that it doesn't cost thousands to use Zimmer's music it costs far less than that and yes while there may be an argument for using an Irish composer's work and having the money go to someone local it would not be a windfall in the thousands that Nolan was implying.

It'd certainly be more expensive to commission a composer to come up with an original work, and record it, for a programme that is very likely to be broadcast once, and maybe again in the middle of the night later that week than to use an existing work and just pay whatever fee RTE's blanket licence says they have to.

True. Now that I re-read Nolan's letter he seems to be implying that it would have cost RTE thousands to use Zimmer's existing music and that the money could have been better spent commissioning an Irish composer to create original music for more or less the same cost. Tobin is saying that it would not have cost them thousands as it would be covered by the blanket fee they pay (which is certainly not free though) which seems correct.

What Nolan really should be saying is why don't RTE use more Irish music in their shows in order to ensure that a larger proportion of the giant fee they pay each year for general music use anyway would end up in the hands of Irish composers rather than those of Hans Zimmer.

Ok, I am think I am clear now.

I'm an editor, & make a point of using Irish music as much as I can... but then again, thats just me...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The mechanical royalties on sound recordings used on tv are substantial afaik.

IMRO will tell you all this, but as far as I recall, you get bugger all from stuff that's produced in-house at RTE.

but that's speaking from my own experience, of hearing bits of my own released stuff on a few factual RTE programmes and receiving zilch.

I'm confused about this ..... can someone (Grumpy) tell me if I have this correct?

It doesn't cost RTE any extra to use Hans Zimmers music as opposed to Kevin Nolans because it is all covered by some blanket license, correct? So, if the editor or whoever has the time and inclination to do so they might use the Irish music instead of the easy, international option.

That's about right I think.

If they do choose to do this, then some sort of forms get filled in (like the ones radio stations do), and theoretically some amount of money of the overall slice of money that RTE pay for their music license will eventually wind it's way to the Irish composer, correct?

That's my understanding of it. Now granted I've only been involved in putting music on shows and sending a list of what I used to the production company - I've never filled in any of the music return forms.

So, basically Nolan is right. He is saying that RTE are paying thousands for the use of "music" and why not try and make sure that a substantial chunk of that goes to Irish composers rather than Hans Zimmer. Or am I missing something?

Well yes except that it's not thousands. He was totting up the amount that would be paid without the blanket agreement I think.

I have another question. Isn't there some rule about duration? i.e. if a programme uses a music clip than is less than x seconds long then the above-mentioned forms don't even have to be bothered with?

I've never heard anything about that.

True. Now that I re-read Nolan's letter he seems to be implying that it would have cost RTE thousands to use Zimmer's existing music and that the money could have been better spent commissioning an Irish composer to create original music for more or less the same cost. Tobin is saying that it would not have cost them thousands as it would be covered by the blanket fee they pay (which is certainly not free though) which seems correct.

What Nolan really should be saying is why don't RTE use more Irish music in their shows in order to ensure that a larger proportion of the giant fee they pay each year for general music use anyway would end up in the hands of Irish composers rather than those of Hans Zimmer.

Ok, I am think I am clear now.

That's it really. Although I honestly have no idea how much someone gets for RTE using one of their tracks. Anyone have any idea?

This blanket fee sounds cosy all the same.I'd like to be wrapped in one of them.

I've filled out plenty of those music return forms & I don't think any band ever saw even a penny.
I'd email & ask if they miinded & ask if they were registered with IMRO, but was in no obligation to do so...

I've filled out plenty of those music return forms & I don't think any band ever saw even a penny.
I'd email & ask if they miinded & ask if they were registered with IMRO, but was in no obligation to do so...

To be fair it is really slack. And considering I'm editing shows I should know more about what can/can't be used.

I once used a Chromatics track on a show only to be told after it had aired that the Italians Do It Better label isn't covered by the agreement.

Thats fairly grim,but this is one situation where I think the exposure could be reward enough,well for the artist looking to raise their profile by any means available it is I think.

Edit..If 50people sought out your music as a result of hearing a blob of it on Nationwide...I'd call that a result

Thats fairly grim,but this is one situation where I think the exposure could be reward enough,well for the artist looking to raise their profile by any means available it is I think.

Edit..If 50people sought out your music as a result of hearing a blob of it on Nationwide...I'd call that a result

Of course the problem is that they don't list music in the credits of most TV shows. So people either have to go online to message boards or email production companies to find out.

Of course the problem is that they don't list music in the credits of most TV shows. So people either have to go online to message boards or email production companies to find out.

Ahh yeah,I'm aware of that alright.But,you know when you hear a snippet of something you like..it lodges...thats good exposure.
Predisposing the punter to automatically loving you when they do get the full picture.

The only two artists that were out of bounds for us were The Beatles & Van Morrison as they were too expensive.

Everyone else was fair game.

The only two artists that were out of bounds for us were The Beatles & Van Morrison as they were too expensive.

Everyone else was fair game.

That doesn't make any sense. Surely they are covered by the blanket license? Or not?

That doesn't make any sense. Surely they are covered by the blanket license? Or not?

I guess some people are "above" the blanket licence.

I don't know the full story, but I recon there are varying grades of licence. The licence I worked under was for promotional use only for station only content. The Beatles & Van were not part of that. AND it was for a small satellite station.

Our national broadcaster could afford such a "blanket" licence.

But then again, how many times have you heard Hey Jude or Brown Eyed Girl on Fair City....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back