rollerskate skinny. (1 Viewer)

Latex lizzie

Just finished listening to a re-issue of "shoulder voices". Can't believe they were making music like this in Ireland circa 92. Just great altogether.

question? what is the lead singer doing these days????

p.s got this in tower for ten eurons. made my weekend.

ken griffin released an album as kid silver a few years back. must try to pick it up.

Yeah, they were incredible. Standing the test of time well.

Met Ken in 1999, he was working in a pub in New York and had released the Kid Silver album, "Dead City Sunbeams". Haven't heard much since.

Ger Griffin (guitarist) had something on the go called "WALKER", and Steven Murrray is in The Radio.

Jimi Shields (guitarist and drummer for the first album) is in Lotus Crown, and The Wounded Knees (with Suzanne Thorpe of Mercury Rev). He lives in NY too.

But nothing any of them have done since comes close to to the brilliance of RSS.

Latex lizzie said:
Just finished listening to a re-issue of "shoulder voices". Can't believe they were making music like this in Ireland circa 92. Just great altogether.
p.s got this in tower for ten eurons. made my weekend.

my favourite irish album ever. fucking genius. i spent a fortune on buying it a few years back when it was deleted only to promptly lose it. i'm away down to tower to grab this after work. props gav.

yeah my mate said that yesterday. I would agree. what were the other irish bands around at the time? blink or some such. God they were good, speed to my side is also greatness. I wonder is there any footage of these guys knocking round the vaults at RTE.

My favourite Irish album and one of my favourites full stop - got into it at a time when I'd listen to an album over and over and over i.e. poor, young. If you look way back in the anals (yea, anals) of thumped you'll find I made an offer to burn a copy of it for anyone who was interested - you couldn't get it anywhere at the time. Didn't Vinnie have something to do with getting it reissued? One of the cake/tower crowd anyways. Well done :)

Latex lizzie said:
yeah my mate said that yesterday. I would agree. what were the other irish bands around at the time? blink or some such. God they were good, speed to my side is also greatness. I wonder is there any footage of these guys knocking round the vaults at RTE.

I remember hearing something about them where they were giving out shit to some Hot Press reporter for not getting on the front cover.

They also did an interview with XL where the reporter didn't even bother to listen to any of their music beforehand. It was a bit of a laugh to read it - they were quite clearly pissed off!

Still, they were pretty good. There were heaps of Irish indie bands around then - probably more than there is now.

Latex lizzie said:
yeah my mate said that yesterday. I would agree. what were the other irish bands around at the time? blink or some such.

Pet Lamb, Mexican Pets, Wormhole, loads more too :)

I must pop in and buy a copy. I remember not liking it much at the time, maybe I was missing something.

aoboa said:
Pet Lamb, Mexican Pets, Wormhole, loads more too :)

I must pop in and buy a copy. I remember not liking it much at the time, maybe I was missing something.

In Motion, Sunbear, Tension....

I got a copy of the RS album for Christmas. I thought the person who gave it to me was playing a joke.

Anyway it's better than I remember it but nowhere near the best Irish album ever.

mark said:
i quite liked that tension album.

great songs but terrible production. the 12" was better, but still didn't capture how great a live band they were.

but the one band that never gets their dues from that time was wheel. tension with pets fella on guitar instead of ger. brilliant they were!

Latex lizzie said:
none of those are even close.:cool:

ahh I dunno - I reckon they are at least as good.
Point is there was a whole lot of great music going on in Ireland at the same time that Rollerskate Skinny were around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back