Rockabilly Guitarist wanted - Cork (1 Viewer)

Aidan

Hi all, I'm looking for a guitarist who can play Rockabilly stuff (early "Sun" sound, Johnny Cash, Scotty Moore, that type of thing). Age not important, but reliability and own transport a must. Would prefer someone who plays a semi-electric arch top, (Strats and Les Paul's etc dont really have the right sound I'm looking for, although I'm willing to let you use one of my semi's if your genuine). You must be a "team player", and be prepared to do a little bit of rehersing to get to know the stuff we do, as there are quite a few of my own songs in the set (all fifties type stuff) as well as some obscure cover's. It's all straight forward stuff really, mainly 12 bar based, with a few 16's as well, we go for "clean and simple", we dont do half hour long guitar licks, and we dont do distortion or fuzz boxes either. You would need to be willing to jump from lead to rythm and back, depending on the song. We're big into creating the right look and image, ie, 1950's, so if your into turning up for a gig in your working clothes, goodbye, but if your prepared to make an effort and "get with the programe" (nothing heavy, bowling/hawian shirt, baggy jeans, baseball boots, which I will pay for, and a tidy hair cut, sorry, long hair is out) get in touch. Sorry to sound like a tyrant, but an indie or grunge style looks totally wrong for a Rockabilly band, just as a Rockabilly would look totally out of place in a heavy metal band, and if your genuine about your music, you'll understand where I'm coming from. We have gigs confirmed in the next couple of months, and quite possibly will have some sooner as well. We're Female fronted, and we're actually quite nice people once you get to know us, a bit mad, but nice, so if you feel you could survive more than 5 minutes with us, e-mail me at,
[email protected]

thanks all,
Aidan.

Ah, I see, well thank you for pointing that out to me, it wouldn't do to have a band playing false Rockabilly would it, perhaps you would be kind enough to enlighten me as to what real Rockabilly is.

27.jpg

Perhaps you might like to expand on that and provide some example's of "origional 1950's stuff" as opposed to "slavish imitation" seeing as your obviously so knowledgable in this area.

Perhaps you might like to expand on that and provide some example's of "origional 1950's stuff" as opposed to "slavish imitation" seeing as your obviously so knowledgable in this area.

Wow, what a stumper! Did you come with that one all by yourself? Now, be honest...

Here's ten of my current favourites, in no particular order:

Charlie Feathers
Carl Perkins
Gene Vincent
Johnny Carroll
Curtis Gordon
Ronnie Dawson
Andy Starr
Buck Griffin
Janis Martin
Bob Luman

But in truth, it's a cast of dozens, hundreds. There's certainly enough of the "origional [sic]" stuff to keep me from resorting to the likes of you.

Hi Franco, I'm quite happy to cool it, all I want is a guitarist for my band, I am not overly interested in participating in irrelevant conversations, however, if someone accuses me of something, I believe I am entitled to know what evidence they have to support that accusation.

I'm confused. does all this mean that people shouldn't be allowed to play old music?

I think I should make a clarification here...

I don't really have a problem with neo-rockabilly/the rockabilly revival per se. I even like some of it (but I prefer the 50s stuff obviously). I used the "slavish imitation" phrase in reference to the sort of thing exemplified by the initial post.

Old music is great. Playing old music is great. Absolute replication on the other hand... I just thought Aidan's 'you have to look like this... if you're serious about music you'll understand' bluster was a bit silly. Snowball!

Well St Fechin, in case you hadn't noticed, no one is "forcing" you to put up with the likes of me, so there is really no need for you to worry about it, is there.

Well St Fechin, in case you hadn't noticed, no one is "forcing" you to put up with the likes of me, so there is really no need for you to worry about it, is there.

Generally on thumped (or indeed any messageboard), if X makes a silly post, Y comes along and makes fun of it. I happened to take the role of Y in this case, probably because I'm a rockabilly fan. The "God, I hate false rockabilly" reply was just a standard jibe and not meant entirely seriously. Of course, I don't really 'care' that much - you can do whatever you like obviously, but once an argument starts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back