Replacing recorded drums with samples (1 Viewer)

Like Drum Dial ?
I'd fuckin LOVE one, man.
Damn, gotta wait another year for Santy.

Yeah, we used one years ago before a recording session. Pretty hard to use, I think we gave up in the end. Good idea though and I'm sure with a bit of practice they'd be great.

When I say we I mean the drummer in my old band with the rest of us looking on in bewilderment.

Last time out it was taping a bunch of bog roll to the snare.

I love doing that - quickest way to get a shit sounding kit to sound tight. Especially on the bottom skins on the toms. Keep adjusting the tension of the tape to get the right amount of ring.
Wish I knew how to tune drums properly though.

I love doing that - quickest way to get a shit sounding kit to sound tight. Especially on the bottom skins on the toms. Keep adjusting the tension of the tape to get the right amount of ring.
i learned once.... its actually quite easy.
the hard part is remembering.

there's a tea towel on the rack tom... trust me!

ditto, floor tom I have is going further and further out, like Pete you really hear it under compression... be sounding like a crap Tabla one of these days soon...

Yeah, why not.
Let us know where+what mics were involved too.
Definitely try flipping around the phase.

Maybe even start with the OHs and mangle kick and snare from there until they add what you want to the OH sound. Assuming you like that.

OK here we go...grab this WAV

Its just a short section...I put bass and a couple of rough guitars in the mix to give it a bit of perspective...the mix is really low so you'll have to pump up your volume...ignore all the rhytmic messiness, I'll fix that later.

Kick drum had a D112 and SM57 on the beater...EQ'd, gated, and compressed...low cut on the beater mic...bit of a high cut on the D112.

Snare is made up of 2 mics, top & bottom (SM57 on both I think)...low cut, EQ'd, gated, and compressed.

1 mic on rack toms, 1 mic on Floor Tom...no gate, just edited out all the regions where they weren't used.

2 overheads (AT4033 maybe...can't remember)...low cut, small bit of EQ, slight compression, and also aux'ed to side chain which was heavily compressed...threw a small reverb on this too.

The snare sounds a bit ringy, but not as bad as I thought it would be...gated some of it out...I'm most unhappy with the kick, which gets lost when the bass gtr is in, even though I put a bit of a low cut on the bass gtr...the OHs stereo-width sounds really narrow even though they are panned quite wide...maybe there is some sort of phase cancellation causing that...in fact I have yet to mess with the phase on any of the mics yet so I need to try that...maybe if I put a tiny delay directly on one of the OHs, it might correct the phase...ditto if I delay one of the kick mics, it might line it up with the other and fatten it up.

Anyways, I appreciate if any of ye have some advice or trickery that might get this kit sounding better...spose I 'm looking for a tight sound, ala Kings of Leon or similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back