recording experiences (1 Viewer)

Last two times i was in a studio was with a guy named Michael Richards that Rob Stephenson had thrown us in with for some sessions for a compilation. I always loved being in the studio but those two sessions were two of the most depressing and frustrating days of my life. I've never seen someone so often point blank refuse to do things the way a band wanted. He refused to let us use most of our backing vocals (as in "too many harmonies, just put them in the chorus"), completely refused to let us use our guitar sound ("that'll never come across on the radio" - we were a punk band, we'd never get on the radio), and, amazingly, kept telling me the vocals were too agressive. And of course, stephenson was around for the double teaming on the final mix when the rest of the band was gone ("i really have to agree with michael here brian, it sounds much better without a more commercial sound"). End result - overproduced radio friendly shite from a bunch of bog-punks. All i'll say is thank shite we didn't pay for it.

Recording is war
That's kinda how I feel about it ... that's not to say I don't like it though

mark - your cab has a lot of heft, I like it. It's unbelievably hard to record a convincing sounding elec guitar though ... guitars on giveamanakick's album sound amazing, but they have some insane guitar setup it seems

The car's good for listening to mixes. I think a lot of the fetishizing of class studio speakers is bollox. Imperfect monitoring areas are where it's at!

Oh.. and always listen to it at different volumes when you're mixing. It's really tempting in the studio to just listen to it on "LOUD" because "LOUD" always sounds good.

But different frequencies ring out at different levels depending on loudness. So when you go home and listen to it at a normal volume it might sound shit. Stuff that sounds nicely ballanced blaring from a speaker mightn't sound so good at a 'regular' level.

If it sounds good to you at different volumes hurray! Twill probably work well on your shitty home stereo.

Ah yeah I know that
I'm talking about stuff like - "yeah I sang that really well I think" and then you come back the next day and you sound like a calf

I reckoned you'd know that. I didn't get it for years. As for coming back the next day and finding you've sung like a calf. It's amazing how my ear for tuning disappears after a couple of hours in a studio. Stuff sounds in tune to everyone at the time and a day later it sounds so out that even my mam would notice.

A lot of bands make the recording process far more difficult for themselves than it ever has to be.
The basic things like lack of rehearsal and trying to cram too much into a limited time are a pain but also things like not having a clue what their amps/instuments should sound like, borrowing amps/guitars that they've never used, expecting the exact same guitar sound to work on every song, etc, etc.

As a musician my worst recording experience had to be a recording session that was happening just as the band I was in was splitting up. The recording itself was fine but the stress/tension was mental.

As a musician my worst recording experience had to be a recording session that was happening just as the band I was in was splitting up. The recording itself was fine but the stress/tension was mental.

"Just play the f---ing note!!!"

ep8.jpg

A lot of bands make the recording process far more difficult for themselves than it ever has to be.
The basic things like lack of rehearsal and trying to cram too much into a limited time are a pain but also things like not having a clue what their amps/instuments should sound like, borrowing amps/guitars that they've never used, expecting the exact same guitar sound to work on every song, etc, etc.

this man should know.i have to say, my favourite guitar sound on any record ever is thirtysix strings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back