Record Store Day 2016 (1 Viewer)

Fucks sake. I saw most of those in the shops I visited. Should have bought some as an investment.

Walked by Tower about 30 min ago and it was busier than I've ever seen it since their move to Dawson St. Probably not a patch on what it was earlier today but it was depressing, lots of older men making their yearly AOR reissue purchase on beige vinyl.

I didn't buy any of the RSD releases but some looked appealing. Cutting edge acts like The Kinks, The Animals, The Runaways, and Elvis. Regretting not picking up the Goblin/Suspiria 7" though. Tower has a great selection of vinyl these days in fairness.

I didn't buy any of the RSD releases but some looked appealing. Cutting edge acts like The Kinks, The Animals, The Runaways, and Elvis. Regretting not picking up the Goblin/Suspiria 7" though. Tower has a great selection of vinyl these days in fairness.
have a look in whenever passing through Dublin. their prices are a bit mental though, no? good offers for sure to be had but some of them are way over the top

I love tower. In fairness, they're sound heads and they know their shit. They really hop on board with the back2black stuff - the vinyl reissues and reprints. Some of it tat, but thats not their fault. That stuff is very reasonbly priced. Not so much the new releases - again probably not their fault.

I just hate RSD.

The whole vinyl revival is funny though. We are told CDs are cold and soulless & vinyl is analog & warm. What were not being told is how many of the newer vinyl pressings are being created using a digital source. The consumer being lied to yet again me thinks.

Would like to have snagged the reissue of Sad & Dangerous by The Dirty Three, but at 1,000 copies worldwide, it's highly unlikely. Although I saw their self titled LP (which got the RSD treatment last year), in Tower on Friday, and there was only (supposedly) 500 of them.

have a look in whenever passing through Dublin. their prices are a bit mental though, no? good offers for sure to be had but some of them are way over the top

Have to say I do find Tower usually a few quid more expensive than Freebird. Bought that Swans box with Love of Life and White Light in Freebird for €45, it was close to €60 in Tower. They have much higher overheads, I guess. There were some good bargains to be had in the sales last week alright.

The whole vinyl revival is funny though. We are told CDs are cold and soulless & vinyl is analog & warm. What were not being told is how many of the newer vinyl pressings are being created using a digital source. The consumer being lied to yet again me thinks.

I usually give the Steve Hoffman forum a gander before buying any represses, the heads over there usually have ferreted out what's from original tapes etc and reissues that are just sourced from CD or a remaster that's not the best. Some impressive pedantry on display over there!

naul record fair at seamus ennis centre

must be getting old. only bought a few jazz albums: mingus's pithecanthropus erectus l.p. reissue on rhino, a cannonball adderly (sic) comp l.p. (with coltrane, chambers, cobb and kelly - effectively the "kind of blue" house band, minus miles) and the jimmy giuffre 3 debut album on c.d., one of my all time favourite jazz albums which i've never actually owned in hard copy. played it twice so far - best €2.50 i've spent in years.

oddly, didn't see one copy of chris rea's tennis l.p. whose ubiquity in the racks used to be a running joke.

they were doing 5 c.d.s for a tenner. fuck the vinyl revival.

Would like to have snagged the reissue of Sad & Dangerous by The Dirty Three, but at 1,000 copies worldwide, it's highly unlikely. Although I saw their self titled LP (which got the RSD treatment last year), in Tower on Friday, and there was only (supposedly) 500 of them.
Really? Sad & Dangerous is the only album of theirs I don't have. It's ripe for a good CD reissue with the early EPs and singles as a second disc.

Really? Sad & Dangerous is the only album of theirs I don't have. It's ripe for a good CD reissue with the early EPs and singles as a second disc.

Absolutely - According to Norman, it comes with:

"... very, very early recordings by the Dirty Three that they recorded on a four track machine with only three tracks working. It was initially released as a tape to be sold at shows and eventually got a vinyl release in 1994.

Absolutely - According to Norman, it comes with:

"... very, very early recordings by the Dirty Three that they recorded on a four track machine with only three tracks working. It was initially released as a tape to be sold at shows and eventually got a vinyl release in 1994.
Fucking release it as a regular release, less of this RSD nonsense.

well thats the whole back2black thing for you. They're (AFAIK) all created from a digital source.

But then they're also cheap, so theres the trade-off. I bought a couple from that series and the sound quality is good (Belle and Sebastian, Grace Jones). I have heard some of the stuff can be hit and miss, but you'd have to imagine some level of quality control is adhered to in the production process.

The 4 Men With Beards releases seem to be legendarily bad, mastered from CD's.

I still mainly buy CD's tbh, except for OLD music. The current climate suits me great cos they're so cheap.

well thats the whole back2black thing for you. They're (AFAIK) all created from a digital source.

But then they're also cheap, so theres the trade-off. I bought a couple from that series and the sound quality is good (Belle and Sebastian, Grace Jones). I have heard some of the stuff can be hit and miss, but you'd have to imagine some level of quality control is adhered to in the production process.

It's like blueberries and other superfoods. The people in the know say this is proper food, highly nutricious and really good for you. And they are, when produced naturally. But the blueberries we get in the supermakets are probably grown under lights & shipped thousands of miles so they still look like blueberries but most of the goodness is gone from them.

I wouldn't have known about digitally sourced vinyl unless I read about it (on the SHF)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back