Recalled: Exqline Pedal Power Supply (1 Viewer)

sparse

Website
www.facebook.com
Stay safe out there, Thumpers.

Product Safety Information Notice on Exqline Guitar Pedal Power Supply sold on Amazon - CCPC Consumers

Exqline-Guitar-Pedal-Power-Supply.png

That power supply:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Would it to be more useful of them to show the actual unit as opposed to a box that doesn't feature an image of the faulty unit?

That is the actual unit. It comes in a couple slightly different brandings but the Caline is the most well known version so it makes sense to show a pic of it.

I've come to the conclusion in recent years that in the mass market, and when i say mass market i mean going into an electrical store in any town 2 hours before any gig anywhere in europe that if something isn't 5v (usb), 9v (because batteries or generic pound shop adapter) or mains UK/EU/US compatible out of the box then it is 100% not suitable for general musician consumption.

I've come to the conclusion in recent years that in the mass market, and when i say mass market i mean going into an electrical store in any town 2 hours before any gig anywhere in europe that if something isn't 5v (usb), 9v (because batteries or generic pound shop adapter) or mains UK/EU/US compatible out of the box then it is 100% not suitable for general musician consumption.

Generic pound shop adapters are generally noisey as fuck and best avoided but they do usually have 18V option so would probably work fine with this yoke. I don't know of any effects units that run off 5V so not sure how useful that part of your conclusion is.

Generic pound shop adapters are generally noisey as fuck and best avoided but they do usually have 18V option so would probably work fine with this yoke. I don't know of any effects units that run off 5V so not sure how useful that part of your conclusion is.

I said 'something' not effects units. interfaces, electronic instruments and what not. I have a box of point shop adapters in the shed, all from diffrent sources, 3-12v seems to be the most common circuit. If it's even slightly outside the mainstream it's only gonna lead to more landfill in the end, right?

I said 'something' not effects units. interfaces, electronic instruments and what not. I have a box of point shop adapters in the shed, all from diffrent sources, 3-12v seems to be the most common circuit. If it's even slightly outside the mainstream it's only gonna lead to more landfill in the end, right?

Sorry given the context of the thread I had assumed we were discussing effects power supplies.

Funny enough I don't own a single pound shop psu. Landfill rubbish for the most part imo.

I will say most of these type units above use 18V inputs be that Caline, MXR etc. The idea is that each output on the block is regulated down to 9V and the regulators have a voltage drop/loss so you need enough supply going in to have the right voltage going out. When you get on to the IEC plug blocks they'll have the 18V transformer inside the block and regulate to 9V. Some have 24V inputs/ or transformers to allow regulating down to 18V. That's all pretty much industry standard so being contrary. Hope someone finds all that useful...

I will say most of these type units above use 18V inputs be that Caline, MXR etc. The idea is that each output on the block is regulated down to 9V and the regulators have a voltage drop/loss so you need enough supply going in to have the right voltage going out. When you get on to the IEC plug blocks they'll have the 18V transformer inside the block and regulate to 9V. Some have 24V inputs/ or transformers to allow regulating down to 18V. That's all pretty much industry standard so being contrary. Hope someone finds all that useful...

That is interesting and does makes sense in terms of getting a quality signal.

The way i'd be looking at is in terms of gigs, and for example being someone who for at least 2 seconds last night was yeeted onto the stage by an enthusiastic moshpit had the self awareness to not plant my foot on someones pedalboard.

But If I had what becomes apparent very fast is a lot of pedals now are using good solid housings that'll stand up to a lifetime of shows paired with power supplies that are essentially built for offices and thats the weak point in the chain of stuff on stage. You can drop a strat all night and it'll tune and play, you can put pedals in a drum hardware bag for a week and they'll come out working fine, 6.3mm cables and xlrs can be yanked on, stood on, badly wrapped and also easily feild repaired with a cheap soldering tools. You can use an SM 58 to hammer nails and then for some fucking reason there are puny office grade power supplies trailing out of everything just fucking asking the band to look sideways at them or breath wrong on them sending someone across town on a gear search at 5pm.

That is interesting and does makes sense in terms of getting a quality signal.

The way i'd be looking at is in terms of gigs, and for example being someone who for at least 2 seconds last night was yeeted onto the stage by an enthusiastic moshpit had the self awareness to not plant my foot on someones pedalboard.

But If I had what becomes apparent very fast is a lot of pedals now are using good solid housings that'll stand up to a lifetime of shows paired with power supplies that are essentially built for offices and thats the weak point in the chain of stuff on stage. You can drop a strat all night and it'll tune and play, you can put pedals in a drum hardware bag for a week and they'll come out working fine, 6.3mm cables and xlrs can be yanked on, stood on, badly wrapped and also easily feild repaired with a cheap soldering tools. You can use an SM 58 to hammer nails and then for some fucking reason there are puny office grade power supplies trailing out of everything just fucking asking the band to look sideways at them or breath wrong on them sending someone across town on a gear search at 5pm.

Basically what your saying is people are still cheaping out on/buying shite power supplies. Which goes back to your landfill comment. Buy a good one and it won't be easily broken. Buy well buy once as the saying goes.

Basically what your saying is people are still cheaping out on/buying shite power supplies. Which goes back to your landfill comment. Buy a good one and it won't be easily broken. Buy well buy once as the saying goes.

I suspect people are using the power supply that comes in the box with the product in 90% of cases, or a cheap replacement because that one has already broken after a mouse thought about it for too long or something.
Everything else on stage is engineered to take a beating even it's most primitive low budget form - It's a weak link in the fundamental design of the product, therefore the smart thing to do is not to bring any of that crap on stage in the first place.

1690559620121.png

This power supply is what is in the pictures for most listings for this fire hazard thing. This does not look like a grade of power supply that is stageproof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back