Ramones pictures from their State Cinema gig in Phibsbourgh in 1979 + otehr oddments (1 Viewer)

Re: Ramones pictures from their State Cinema gig in Phibsbourgh in 1979 + otehr oddme

Is that the place that's now Des Kelly's but was also an ice rink for a while??

Re: Ramones pictures from their State Cinema gig in Phibsbourgh in 1979 + otehr oddme

DEASDLY!

is that des kellys? the on on ncr?

fairly sure it is....it became an ice rink after and now the place is layed out in carpet :|

Fucking amazing. The photos from the Magnet are of Microdisney (the original Cork version) and Mean Features (featuring a young Mick Lynch). Must be 80/81. Any more form the same source?

ramones played the state cinema in 1977 and the cabra grande cinema in 1980 and the tv club in 1985

cheers

bitzy

ramones played the state cinema in 1977 and the cabra grande cinema in 1980 and the tv club in 1985

cheers

bitzy

Having last night discovered the footage of Da Brudders' legendary New Year's Eve 1977 Rainbow show, the show which provided the phenomenal set for the "It's Alive" live album, I ventured onto the net today to see if there were any pics of their State Cinema Phibsboro gig from September 1978. I've seen this and another thread (on "Comeheretome", I think) in which there is some confusion about the dates of the Ramones' Irish gigs, plus some memory-bank fade re other gigs of that era.

September 78 was a pivotal month in the punking of Dublin. The Jam, Stranglers, Ramones, Buzzcocks and Clash hit the city in that white hot month. I was a big fan of the Clash and the Buzzcocks, with a healthy admiration for the Stranglers and the Jam, but the Ramones just blew me and my mates to pieces that night - I would say that nothing since has reached the incendiary levels of focus, pace and sound that the boys and their soundcrew produced that night. Of course, the greatest gigs match a great performance with a great audience, and the atmosphere that night was absolutely electrifying in the lead up to the show. Unlike many a night in Dublin at the time, there were no former bootboy thugs or uncomprehending scumbags at the gig. The Old Grey had recently shown clips from what I now know, since last night, was the Rainbow gig from Dec 31st - Sheena, plus D'ya Wanna Dance, and there were high expectations of the coming night on the back of that exposure. And boy were those expectations met and then surpassed by some distance.

I've seen pics here, but they're almost certainly Cabra 1980, a very much inferior performance, by a bored-looking band, conveyed through one of the loudest PAs I'd heard. The Phibsboro venue didn't get off as easily as the Cabra one, with row upon row of seats reduced to little more than match-wood, all a result of innocent pogo-ing in a space that
should not have contained fixed seating - it was the Ramones, at their savagely beautiful best, what the hell did the cinema owners expect?????

That gig is fixed forever in my mind, and a mate of mine, a veteran of hundreds of such events, agrees that it was a peak. I've met others who harbour the same sentiment, and if one wished for validation one could do worse than the classic and heartfelt obituary of Joey which was written by B P Fallon for the Irish Times, in which he described the Phibsboro gig as "epochal". It doesn't get much bigger and rarer than a gig that defines an age, and Beep had seen quite a few big musical events in his time. BTW, he was managing the US support band, Snips, who were actually OK on the night.

I mentioned the disappointment of Cabra. I didn't see the TV Club gig of 85, but I did see a lame London Lyceum gig on the same tour, living as I was by then in London. Reading Festival 1988 saw the Ramones take the stage immediately before Iggy, one of their biggest heroes who was headlining at a time when he had a big solo hit. The boys definitely raised their game massively for the occasion, and while not reaching the heights of ten years before, it was a pretty damn good show. Whatever, nothing will ever take away from the Phibsboro gig.

On another side-issue: questions have been asked about the venue the Buzzcocks played that same mad month - it was Dingo's Rock Palace, Little Mary St, which had previously been know as the Revolution Club. I never heard of it again, but I remember the sprung ash dancefloor for tangoing couples, the low ceiling, and the resulting banging of heads by energetic pogo-dancers. I also remember a mate excitedly reporting on having had a slash standing next to - Pete Shelley. Oh, what might have been.

Lastly, XTC's 1979 gigs were in the UCD restuarant (a good venue) on the Saturday, followed by the Chariot Inn on the Monday, supported on both nights by DC Nien. If anyone has any other date/venue queries just let me know. I might be able to throw light on something, though I left Ireland in 83.

and that is how you do a first post

Pete you should start a thread on the main forum and put up everyone's first posts, could be some good comedy there

i'm not even going to look

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back