R T Fuckin E (1 Viewer)

loner deluxe said:
i reckon those folks just don't want the locals in the valley of the squinting windows to know they've won any money incase they come a beggin at the door. doh!

irelands own - nap - winning streak: jaysus! sounds like hell (except for the nap and "irelands own"- are the spooky ghost stories still in it?)

do ya like Old Moores Almanac and Well Remembered Days?

next your'll be reading the "Far East"!

(linda martin looks like an alien:eek: )
I've read Well-Remembered Days -- the bit where the guy tries to crucify himself made me sick myself with chuckles.

Ireland's Own is the most insanely funny periodical ever released. Not even Viz can top it (though it's close). I sometimes forget that it isn't a joke. Recent headlines include: 'The Ghost Who Hated FLowers', 'Let's take a closer look at twigs', and 'The Two Lads'. I've taken to doing my own IO-style writing, which is scaring my housemate a little, even though we've both agreed we should just subscribe to the thing.

enchance said:
Re: wimpish contestants in the audience. Don't you just hate it when you have to wait for "Mary" or "Jimmy" to select the bloodly option from the comfort of an audience seat? no small talk, just, "go to Blarney Castle there!"
The holding up of those 'Go Gran!' signs has always baffled me. I mean, the game is based on pointing at stuff -- how much encouragement do people really need?

That the sissies can hardly bring themselves to point at a picture of something that might be outside of their province just makes it more hilarious when they win something that means leaving Ireland.

Derek: Seamus from Tralee, where would you like to go
Seamus: Well, of course the lakes of Killarney, Derek.
Derek: Sorry, Seamus, your options are: the Japanese Gardens, Glendalough, and the Vale of Avoca
Seamus: Gasp. I'll take the Blasket Islands, then.

Amazing.

even better is when they are the "i watch fame & fortune every week after the mass" type person and they still have trouble recalling the rules. so is this show rigged or what?

enchance said:
even better is when they are the "i watch fame & fortune every week after the mass" type person and they still have trouble recalling the rules. so is this show rigged or what?

What I do think is rigged is the fact that few contestants lately have been from Dublin. A few years ago, there were loads of complaints from people (who couldn't grasp the fact that half the country's population lives in Dublin, and the implications of the laws of probability) about how too many of them were Dublin people, and now there seem to be very few. It's really incredible. RTE knows who's watching, and, apart from, well, uh, me, and a few others inside the Pale, it's probably more of a Munster/Connacht sorta fan base.

jane said:
I've read Well-Remembered Days -- the bit where the guy tries to crucify himself made me sick myself with chuckles.

Ireland's Own is the most insanely funny periodical ever released. Not even Viz can top it (though it's close). I sometimes forget that it isn't a joke. Recent headlines include: 'The Ghost Who Hated FLowers', 'Let's take a closer look at twigs', and 'The Two Lads'. I've taken to doing my own IO-style writing, which is scaring my housemate a little, even though we've both agreed we should just subscribe to the thing.
from Well-Remembered Days:

"Gloinn and myself once spent a weekend together in a caravan in Kilkee, and his attempt to boil an egg led to a fire in which a local itinerant perished. Men have little talent for cookery."

"I wondered aloud to Noreen [his wife] whether it was too late to send her back to the orphanage, but after going through the adoption papers, we realised that it wasn't a realistic option to send a woman in her mid-twenties back to the Bastard Shop."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was "The Two Lads" a sensitive exploration of burgeoning rural hoosexual love?
Why did the ghost heat flowers? How were the twigs?

That magazine always reminds me of flat lemonade and turfsmoke in my surrogate grandparents cottage...

frambosenshmak said:
tis a shameless copy of a bbc produced show that used to be on a while back. a top financial american with a horrible lloyd groooooowssman drawl would monitor a family/business/individuals weekly habits then draw up a new financial strategy to save their debt ridden dreary lives.

he was fairly smug and patronising at times
could be Alvin Hall?

sanctimonious drivel

that Show show is so shit

frambosenshmak said:
tis a shameless copy of a bbc produced show that used to be on a while back. a top financial american with a horrible lloyd groooooowssman drawl would monitor a family/business/individuals weekly habits then draw up a new financial strategy to save their debt ridden dreary lives.

he was fairly smug and patronising at times

thing is, he was
1)black
2)american
3)closet steamer
4)mostly likely jew

so how could they listen to a guy with nothing goin' for him and everything against him!???!
he was kinda cute though...

jane said:
I'm much more into scandal rags such as Chat magazine and the like . headlines such as "I was on fire whilst giving birth" appeal greatly to me .

I must say though , the personal ads in Ireland own are a hoot .

spiritualtramp said:
I'm much more into scandal rags such as Chat magazine and the like . headlines such as "I was on fire whilst giving birth" appeal greatly to me .

I must say though , the personal ads in Ireland own are a hoot .
The headlines on the Chat and Chat-esque rags really make me want to sell my soul to yellow tabloid journalism. I fantasise about writing headlines for that lot.

The best I ever saw was for a tragic story about a woman's masectomy for which the headline on the cover was, 'Where'd Mommy Booby Go?' accompanied by a child's stick-figure drawing of a uni-mammaried stickwoman.

I would have preferred the drawing if, instead of merely leaving a blank space where the boob once sat, the child had replaced the absent funbag with a question mark, but, you know, that might have been seen as 'in bad taste'.

I couldn't resist buying it, though I do generally restrict my indulgence in women's magazines to when I'm at the hairdresser. That's when I catch up on the latest, 'I lost 65 stone and my husband left me for a fatso!' and 'I gained 796 stone and get more action than my skinny twin!' and 'I've lost three husbands to the same rare congenital illness combined with car crashes on the same road in Hertfordshire!'

Always with the exclamation marks.

Show me the money is pretty funny. It's one of those programmes that takes you out of your own little world and shows you the rest of the population. Sad really.

It's like suddenly being put on a mindless production line..... (urgh, the menories).

jane said:
The headlines on the Chat and Chat-esque rags really make me want to sell my soul to yellow tabloid journalism. I fantasise about writing headlines for that lot.

The best I ever saw was for a tragic story about a woman's masectomy for which the headline on the cover was, 'Where'd Mommy Booby Go?' accompanied by a child's stick-figure drawing of a uni-mammaried stickwoman.

I would have preferred the drawing if, instead of merely leaving a blank space where the boob once sat, the child had replaced the absent funbag with a question mark, but, you know, that might have been seen as 'in bad taste'.
that's so brilliant.

one of those weeklies used to have all its "i discovered my husband was my twin sister" type stories illustrated with pictures of the actual partipants hammily acting out their true life drama, in a jackie photo story stylee. i remember one about an elderly couple who had fought off a burglar with their prosthetic limbs, or something, and it had the most wonderful photo of the couple themselves propped up in bed trying unsuccessfully to look frightened while a "burglar" loomed over them menacingly. great stuff.

minka said:
that's so brilliant.

one of those weeklies used to have all its "i discovered my husband was my twin sister" type stories illustrated with pictures of the actual partipants hammily acting out their true life drama, in a jackie photo story stylee. i remember one about an elderly couple who had fought off a burglar with their prosthetic limbs, or something, and it had the most wonderful photo of the couple themselves propped up in bed trying unsuccessfully to look frightened while a "burglar" loomed over them menacingly. great stuff.
I think that would have been the bible of all trashy weekly's, Take a Break

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back