R.I.P To Da Rawk (1 Viewer)

being a 'punk' buisness is at least better than washing fucking dishes for someone else. given the chance i'd swap being a kitchen porter for a record shop owner anyday!

i dont think its nessicarily a bad time for such an opinion as it has been said above as its a fairly civil discusion and your obviously not atacking mero or anyone. saying that you gotta look at where your coming from...who you work for etc etc and are you really in a position to have such a stance on someone who set up their own record shop and made a living of selling people music they like?

byrneos said:
shame its gone!! but i don't get all this great loss to the scene and scenes are built around places like this. it was a record shop that happened to sell punk stuff mostly over priced. its not like we just lost a warzone centre or something. it was a bussiness notthing more as mero always said himself when asked aboutthe high prices.

[sarcasm]Yes, because it is much more punk or DIY to work for shit wages stacking shelves in the supermarket than working for shit wages in a record shop that sells punk and DIY releases.[/sarcasm]

spuded said:
brynoes in all fairness thats a pretty pointless and reactionary remark do ya not think. look at the other independent record shops in dublin such as soundcellar or road, most of their new releases are priced at over 20 yo's whereas meros usually ws under that, also in mero's the vinyl was always priced cheaper and anyone who ever ordered in a laod of vinyl knows with shipping that at cost price vinyl usually ends up more expensive than cds. The reality is we live in an expensive city, in expensive times. It was only on the news today that grafton street is like one of the top five most expensive places to rent a business property on in europe or nay the world.

You think that scenes aren't based aorund places like mero's and that the kids will find the music out regardless. well how? we didn't all come into punk rock as part of an influx or a big group of firends like say the kilkenny lads a few years ago, many of us came from places where no-one not even our best friends had a clue about punk rock. If the scene isn't based around places like mero's then what is it based around. I know from tlaking to people who've just got into the scene that it is a far from welcoming place and to be honest brynoes i dont see you at the door of gigs welcoming people in with open fuckin arms. The scene is elitist as fuck but places like mero's give everyone the opportunity to find out what's the latest sounds and the latest zines. Alot of kids coming into the punk rock thing don't have loadsa friends who can give them a copy of the latest TRAGEDY, SKITKIDS )(insert band) record.

Also i dont see why being a 'business' and being punk rock are two things that are totally exlusive to each other. I don't think you are wrong for questioning a place like mero's beacuse in my eyes punk has always been about the questioning but u are making statements without knowing about the ins and outs of running a place like mero's, do you know the cost of rent? do you know the amount of tax paid? do you know how much this stinking country takes off people in customs/excise duties? But no you flick through the cd rack and make ur judgements. I just think it's reactionary and a bad time to make such a statement.[/QUO

ive found other shops to be cheaper depends on what ya buy i guess.people find punk in many ways seeing posters for gigs ,throught mtv type punk, friends ,older brothers.kilkenny didn't just produce punk babies either and there was no decent record shops in kilkenny. for years between comet and meros there was no real mainly punk shop but people still found it.yes i know about rent,tax my judgement aren't just bassed on flicking cds.sorry!

mc moley said:
being a 'punk' buisness is at least better than washing fucking dishes for someone else. given the chance i'd swap being a kitchen porter for a record shop owner anyday!

i dont think its nessicarily a bad time for such an opinion as it has been said above as its a fairly civil discusion and your obviously not atacking mero or anyone. saying that you gotta look at where your coming from...who you work for etc etc and are you really in a position to have such a stance on someone who set up their own record shop and made a living of selling people music they like?
frist i don't work anywahere no more. a small family bussness is where i used to work selling people food they like.what i did or do work at has notthing really to do with it.i was n,t slagging them for having a go iwas just staying that i don't thinkits as great a loss or as important to the "scene" as other people do.

mac warzonescum said:
[sarcasm]Yes, because it is much more punk or DIY to work for shit wages stacking shelves in the supermarket than working for shit wages in a record shop that sells punk and DIY releases.[/sarcasm]
its crap working for shit money anywhere!!

I dont think byrneos was trying to suggest it was a bad place to work or whatever, seems he's just saying it wasn't the exactly centre of the scene, sure thats where you buy your records but is that really as big part of the "scene" as having our own gigs in our own spaces on our own terms, Bringing the Rock is far more important than nerds record collecting, there will be more record shops/distros.

Alan Remorse said:
if mero was only in it for cash then why didnt he just sell the latest justin and britney CDs? all he'd have to do is undercut tower by a euro or two and he'd be sorted.
after getting a massive new flashy premises and making it all streamlined with a chillout zone and in-store djs, yeah. piece of piss...

between the lot of us we must have a fairly vast collections of records, i say it's mixtape time!

Anyone familiar with the concept of bad faith? No? Just wondering.

spuded said:
also in mero's the vinyl was always priced cheaper and anyone who ever ordered in a laod of vinyl knows with shipping that at cost price vinyl usually ends up more expensive than cds.
Well, I've often found vinyl in the store that I had ordered over the internet that was more expensive even including the postage. And that was with sending money and IMOs, if I had of used one my parents credit cards it would have been even cheaper. :p (credit cards = punk right? :D )

spuded said:
The reality is we live in an expensive city, in expensive times. It was only on the news today that grafton street is like one of the top five most expensive places to rent a business property on in europe or nay the world.
Noone is disputing that Ireland is expensive, we're in the top five in the EU. That isn't as relevant to this discussion as some of the other points.
http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=67143 - the price of a cup of tea (Poor vegan dan :) )

spuded said:
If the scene isn't based around places like mero's then what is it based around.
It's based around community, and hopefully a compassionate,caring, co operative, supportive one that is engaged in ongoing critical self analysis so that when problems of sexism or elitism do arise they can be challenged and corrected.

spuded said:
I know from tlaking to people who've just got into the scene that it is a far from welcoming place and to be honest brynoes i dont see you at the door of gigs welcoming people in with open fuckin arms.
What was Jamie's last username before Needtokill?

spuded said:
Also i dont see why being a 'business' and being punk rock are two things that are totally exlusive to each other.
Could we avoid having this debate? Please. :)

http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=66180

yeah some cdr'ing action once i get my stereo hooked up to the laptop to do the vinyl.

byrnoes i'd love to know what shops are cheaper, seriously like for buying punk, check out places like freebird and the pile of shite they've become selling second hand records for thirty euro that two years ago they'ed sell for 10 just cause vinyl is cool again. i spend alot of time buzzin round record shops and cant think of anywhere that stocked cd punk releases cheaper than mero's.

Anyways im in stanstead airport cant believe im on this fuckin site again!

spud road and spindizzy.

maybe looking back my timing wasn't the best. no use crying over spilt milk.
i just want to make clear it was never ment to be a go at mero,jamie or anyone else if people were offened.Sorry!. yes its a loss i never said it wasn't and its really shit about jamies job.but my opinion on its realationship to the"scene" is i feel a fair comment(not everyone agrees i wouldn't expect them to) if badly timed.FIN

I personally don't really think it was a loss to the scene either to be fair.But if yis all wanna whinge, go for it, don't let me stop you arguing about it.I have many many choice replies to some of things above, but I don't really see a point in doing so.

it's closed, move on.

I'm actually glad to be out of there.

needtokill said:
I personally don't really think it was a loss to the scene either to be fair.But if yis all wanna whinge, go for it, don't let me stop you arguing about it.I have many many choice replies to some of things above, but I don't really see a point in doing so.

it's closed, move on.

I'm actually glad to be out of there.
hey jamie, i got Public Castration...
but i haven't listened to it at all yet. waiting til i can turn up to full volume, in the dark. the liner photos look good tho

Oh incidentally..Olly, sorry for calling you an asshole,didn't mean it boss:eek: Bernard,hang on to your bowels.

Everyone else:Emm,not stirring shit, but just wanted to say one thing about the prices -

Yeah, some of them were dodge.Definitely.I'm with you on that Byrneos, all the way, and I don't think anyone has been more vocal about some of the pricing being out of order than me, particularly some of the second hand stuff.BUT,yeah, big overheads will do that to you, and to be fair i think in terms of the new stuff that we stocked,I don't think 17 euro for a new cd in a shop is too outrageous.There was a very small mark up on the punk/hc stuff a lot of the time as well, and to be honest, part of the reason we were selling the likes of Epitaph/Fat Wreck/Victory stuff for more was so that we could sell Dystopia or Ekkaia or Severed Head of State etc for less without losing money on it.I don't think Mero was raking in the cash..not from the shop anyway.And some if the reputable DIY types we dealt with were bigger rip offs than the big people we dealt with (one in particular springs to mind - a UK "DIY" label who charged us full price instead of wholesale for a bunch of punk vinyl, which is why the Skitkids/Nailbiter/Gloom etc records were priced so highly.Fuck that guy)

realistically,you have to cover your ass.Murder City's stuff is I think very expensive, but it's justifiable having been on their side of things, which is why again, I can't stress enough how important it is that people go support them!

As far as the "Scene " thing, yeah, I got into punk/hc through friends,older brothers,gigs,etc too, but that was ten years ago.I don't think the shop got anyone into punk, but I'mn VERY confident in saying that I steered some younger kids who came in to buy their Dropkicks albums in the right direction, I always tried to get fracture/reason to believe/unfit to them rather than the scenesters, and tried to steer them towards local releases.Now most of the time they ignored me, but there are definitely some kids who maybe wouldn't have bothered checking out DIY stuff so soon without having the shop there to play them stuff they wouldn't have heard or whatever.If that sounds arrogant, fine.I did my part, wether the "Kids" bought their records there or not.I really don't feel part of the "scene", and I'm sure most of you would say I'm definitely not part of it, but wether you think it's arrogant or not, I think I gave some kids an eyeopener they might not have got otherwise,which a lot of you weren't/aren't in a position to do (or if you were, wouldn't bother doing anyway).And that's the one thing I will miss.The only thing.

Right, that really is all I have to say on the subject, again thanks for all your support, and again, thank fuck that's over so I can get on with my life!!There are more important things than records people, never forget that.I've just had a week to myself for the first time in 3 years, and boy do i feel better.Although having said that...Anyone looking to get reasonably (not incredibly cheap,but not shop prices) priced hardcore/metal/weird records and cds get back to me in six months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back