Proper Scary Stuff (2 Viewers)

george mcfly

My Name Is Prince.
whenever we talk about about horror films on here it usually revolves around stuff being ultra gory or really disturbing. however, it's a long time since i've actually been scared by a movie

for me -- event horizion -- the last film to actually properly scare me. got this out on video when i was in on my own one night and it spooked me out so much i had to turn it off til someone else came home. i think it was the whole dead wife with no eyes who kept popping up for sam neil, or when they
decipher the video transmission

when i was a kid -- the watcher in the woods - a fucking disney movie!!
close encounters of the third kind -- those fucking aliens
cocoon -- went to the cinema to see this on my 7th birthday, i think i lasted about 30mins
terrifying stuff!!
then a bit older, day of the dead which i had nightmares for years over!
also the bit at the end of amityville 2 where the guys come out of the gateway to hell at the end - what the fuck was that all about??!

so properly scary movies.. rather than just deadly horror films

Amityville the original scared the knockers off me.. the "get out" bit and red pigs eyes particularly. As did the exorcist bit with the priest face going all pale and demonic

I dont think movies can be scary anymore if you like scary movies(I live in hope though). Unless you are a kid or a mental defective. It's a reality thing. CGI has ruined scary movies. I think nasty people who do the unexpected are still the scariest things in movies.I think thats why people really flipped over the whole blair witch thing(personally I just found the whole thing annoying but I know lots who thought it was well scary) None of your computer generated werewolves please.

you don't really see anything
kinda claustraphobic movie..copy i saw had an nth generation pirate snuff look

andrew

Thats kinda what I was on about earlier there..inferance I think is scarier than seeing the whole deal..peoples minds being the scariest place of all..Say Jaws for example..they were going to have the shark in the first movie way more but the mechanical shark wouldn't work half the time so they came up with ways to suggest he was around the place (the duh duh williams score being the most effective. Just a shot of the water and the music makes every one fill in the gaps and instantly you are looking for a fin)So in the end it worked much better than seeing the crappy shark (bruce I believe his name was)

..and the first alien..hardly see it at all..then cut to aliens and the fuckers are all over the place. Moved from sci fi/ horror to sci fi action in one go. Not half as scary. Any others like this?

Latex lizzie said:
Thats kinda what I was on about earlier there..inferance I think is scarier than seeing the whole deal..peoples minds being the scariest place of all..Say Jaws for example..they were going to have the shark in the first movie way more but the mechanical shark wouldn't work half the time so they came up with ways to suggest he was around the place (the duh duh williams score being the most effective. Just a shot of the water and the music makes every one fill in the gaps and instantly you are looking for a fin)So in the end it worked much better than seeing the crappy shark (bruce I believe his name was)
dead right.. suggestion is much spookier
i think that's what makes films like The Fog so scary cause you never quite get to see Blake and all his crew clearly although there's enough description in the narrative to make them seem more horrific than any make-up ever could

poltergeist is a pretty good example of this -- for years and years (when i was a kid) i couldn't look at the scene where the guy tears his face off. but the sound effects and score made it seem like the scariest scene ever, so much so that i'd fast forward entirely past it. then when i finally watched it, it was just a guy pulling chunks off a plastic head--not scary at all

still a scary film though--the bit with the tv and the hand i still cringe when it's coming up

You would think that the hollywood types who produce films would have copped all this ...It seems fairly obvious like. Instead the produce multi effect laden drivel that is just not fucking scary. Scary is a story. with real people in it. (I think thats why movies like poltergeist-an ordinary family, etc work so well) at the back of your brain when you turn off the light after watchin it you go...it could happen to them?..it could happen to ME!!!!!)
I'm livin in hope for a really scary movie to come along..one that gets people talking.

Latex lizzie said:
You would think that the hollywood types who produce films would have copped all this ...It seems fairly obvious like. Instead the produce multi effect laden drivel that is just not fucking scary. Scary is a story. with real people in it. (I think thats why movies like poltergeist-an ordinary family, etc work so well) at the back of your brain when you turn off the light after watchin it you go...it could happen to them?..it could happen to ME!!!!!)
I'm livin in hope for a really scary movie to come along..one that gets people talking.
But then you look at something like the Blair Witch Project, and you have a film that polarised audiences in a really weird way. Some people think it was dead scary, other people resent the movie for not "delivering the goods" with something definite. I think, had they chosen to end the film by showing a BIG SCARY SPECIAL EFFECTS SHOT OF A REALLY GROSS, FUCKED-UP WITCH, people would swap places - the people who loved the film now would hate it, and the people who hated it now would probably like it a bit more.

I'd heard about the Blair Witch Project coming out for a while and spent the months before its release reading up on scary shit, like Borley Rectory and stuff. I basically worked myself into a frightened tizzy and almost shit my pants at that movie.

Other good scares:
First half of Jeepers Creepers is dead good, until it turns into that shit monster thing.
Bits of House on Haunted Hill are REALLY good, but the film is just let down with its stupid Casper-the-friendly-ghost ending. The bit of the chick wandering around with her video camera, taping an empty room, but the video camera showing a crazy operation and the doctor suddenly turning to look at her? Fucks me up every time.

DEADLY thread.

Movies that actually freaked me out: The Brood, Stephen King's It (ruined my childhood)... event horizon was a good one to. gotta get thinking about this.

george mcfly said:
event horizion
that still fucks me up no matter how many times i see it. must've seen it about 6 or 7 times now and i still watch it every time it's on tv even though i know it's gonna freak me out again. deadly film.

the omen movies were genuinely creepy too.

made all the more creepy by this guy that i used to go to school with. his ma and da were really religious and sent him to bible group meetings where they'd discuss the biblical apocalypse and how it's all going to kick off very soon.
stuff about credit card chips being implanted in peoples hands signifying the number of the beast
spooky stuff, which he of course came into school and told to us, scaring the shit out of us and giving the film a bit more ground in reality

edit -- which reminds me last time omen 2 was on i switched channels during the bit were the lady has her eyes pecked out by the raven and gets creamed by a truck

the bit at the start of evil dead II (is it in the first one aswell? can't remember) where the voice over is telling you about the necronomicon and the pages fly past with demons being drawn in blood etc etc - scared the living piss out of me as a kid, and is therefore still shit cool (despite it not scaring me any more)

mc fly - that bit where they decipher the video in event horizon is indeed scary, was left a bit cold by the film overall though. I thought bits of (gonna get crucified for this) the ninth gate were scary like where the demon woman drifts/floats down the stone stair case - mainly cos its done really quietly and not in your face. Its relatively mundane but still creepy stuff like that get me every time

hop said:
mc fly - that bit where they decipher the video in event horizon is indeed scary, was left a bit cold by the film overall though. I thought bits of (gonna get crucified for this) the ninth gate were scary like where the demon woman drifts/floats down the stone stair case - mainly cos its done really quietly and not in your face. Its relatively mundane but still creepy stuff like that get me every time
i actually liked that film a lot up until the ending. that bit is class though, it's so quick and subtle that it's like, did i just see that??
and then the film goes on for a bit like it never happened

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back