Pronunciation Pricks (4 Viewers)

jane

Website
www.ittybittyhearingtrumpet.wordpress.com
Right, before you all jump at once, I'm aware that we Yanks say things like Tooos-day and not Chews-day (but WHATEVER, like), I'm talking not about different legitimate pronunciations (which both of those are), or which country's form of English is superior. That's not the issue here.

The issue, which I originally brought up on the football forum (but really, me? on the football board?) is that yiz have got yourself not just an Italian manager, but a serious pronunciation problem.

Yer wans on the wireless were butchering the fuck out of his name, and it sounded more like a fucking Dolmio ad than a news broadcast. It's perfectly acceptable, so long as you get the basic sounds right, to pronounce foreign words in your own accent. Pat Kenny made Trapattoni sound like "I wanta to sucka your bloooda".

There is a happy medium that most people find when pronouncing names and words that are from another language, but why is this so different? Is it the thrill of having yer man from Father Ted as the football manager? Like, if I am IN Italy and SPEAKING to an ITALIAN IN ITALIAN, I will give my name its proper pronunciation. Otherwise, I just get the vowel sounds right and say it like a normal person. It doesn't need to be waved around like a poncey silk scarf.

Unless you are actually bilingual, there's kinda no point. Like, Lara Marlowe can get away with it because she is genuinely conversant in proper French. Pat Kenny, not so much. Anne Doyle, definitely not.

Is this hurting anyone else's brain?

PS: I would, though, take all the butchering of foreign names on earth if people would fucking realise that there is no 'r' in Chicago.

here, hare here.

monty01.jpg

I'm guilty of this

yeah it's annoying

so is this:

people using the same word twice in a row.

i.e.

'My car is at home'

'Your car is in Finglas?'

'No, no. My car is at home home'

Finglas = where the person rents

Home home = parents' house [where the person grew up]

It's just a habit really because I've spent the majority of my life associating my ma's house with home. Infact I'm at home for another 2 weeks while inbetween places so can't see the habit going anytime soon!

I don't like it ['home home' etc]

How did it start?

Another of my gripes is to do with 'a' and 'an', but is as much about written shit as spoken. There's this wide-and-growing misconception that 'an' is like the formal version of 'a', or that it is used before words beginning with 'h' where the 'h' is pronounced. It isn't. That's not correct. It's only 'An Historical' if you have a cockney accent. It sounds dumb. It sounds even dumber coming out of the mouth of a DART-accented newsreader. Sounds like a spoilt brat in a convent school trying to impress her teacher, and quietly throwing dirty looks over her shoudler at the rest of the room.

But the foreign words thing really fucking gets me. Find a happy medium! It's not that hard. Think of Barcelona. Saying "I'm going to Bar-the-lown-ah" just sounds twattish. But you get the vowel sounds and basic c/g hardness rules right and yer flyin.

Trappppaaaattttoooonnnniiii isn't even the correct way of saying it. You only hold a consonant if it's doubled.

Or if he's just scored a screamer from outside the box.

Well, yeah, but pronunciation usually isn't so much of an issue with excited shouting.

Trapattoni. One doubled-t, and you can skip over the rest of the consonants like nothin' doin.

Did yiz know that he was born on Paddy's Day? I read that on the internet when I looked up to make sure I spelled his name right there. Because from what I could hear on the wireless, his name was spelled TTTccchhhaaapppppattttonnnnnneeeeeee.

Well, yeah, but pronunciation usually isn't so much of an issue with excited shouting.

Trapattoni. One doubled-t, and you can skip over the rest of the consonants like nothin' doin.

Did yiz know that he was born on Paddy's Day? I read that on the internet when I looked up to make sure I spelled his name right there. Because from what I could hear on the wireless, his name was spelled TTTccchhhaaapppppattttonnnnnneeeeeee.

Je (as in Jesus)-o-van-e Trap-a-Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back