Printing Cropped Photos (1 Viewer)

tripoli

Some advice please...

This is no doubt a bit of a stupid question but i'm confused. Obviuosly of you crop a photo you are writing off any possibility of getting it printed in a regular photo development house eg. fuji.

If one wants to crop a photo, how can they ensure that all of the photo will ce contained in the size of the print they want?

The reason i ask is, i spent 25 euro on 8 x 10 prints on apple, some of which i cropped slightly and when i got them back, both the left and right details of the prints were missing?

Any advice or am i missing out on something here?

Cheers

I guess if you can crop with the same constraints of the height & width of the original photo, you'd get a standard size to print out professionally??

Yeah i had considered that but it's not easy to do with a program like iPhoto. Do i need to use Photoshop and just adjust the size of the crop keeping the same constraints??
Am i going mad or do you see where i am coming from? (basically it's a pain in the arse)

I guess if you can crop with the same constraints of the height & width of the original photo, you'd get a standard size to print out professionally??

I'm taking a stab in the dark here, but can you not constrain as you crop when using iPhoto? Try holding down the command key as you drag the marquee to crop? (On a PC, using photoshop, you can constrain the proportions by holding the Alt-Key and dragging the crop tool. This takes a bit of getting used to. Basically you need to start in the middle of the part of the image you want to crop and drag. I'm pretty sure it works the same on a Mac but using the Cmd-key - it's been a while).

But it sounds as if you sent them off with a specific crop and they printed to a standard size, taking out some of your photos. That's a bit off. They should have printed what you sent them, but left you with white borders while keeping the whole image in.

You'd be better off croppin to the constraints of a standard photo size, keeping some detail you know you're going to cut yourself (with a guillotine or craft knife).

Cheers Goff, tried your suggestion in iPhoto but that aint gonna do it.

Just found this on the Apple site:

Photos ordered through iPhoto and Aperture must match the aspect ratio for given print sizes or they may be automatically cropped.

Depending on the kind of camera you have, you may need to crop your photos to get the correct aspect ratio for prints or books ordered through iPhoto and Aperture. Your photos must match the required print or book aspect ratios, or they may be automatically cropped.

The table below shows the base aspect ratio for various digital and film formats, and cropping that may need to be done prior to ordering a specific size print.

Take this photo as an example...i sent this to Apple to get it printed 8 x 10" and it came back cropped over the left eye and the same amount off on the otherside too. Seems like my Canon 350D takes pictures in 16 x 9 therefore if i take a shot in the full frame of the camera, i cannot get it printed in a standard issue print shop???? Crazy shit... (i feel stupid too...like i'm missing the point or something:confused: )

247702021_df3d0eb289.jpg

350D is definitely not 16:9. I'm pretty sure it's 3:2 ratio. Like most cameras, I think.

Which is why I'm surprised you can't get it printed normally as it's a standard size. Though, to be honest, that pic does look like 16:9!!!!

What's the url of that help bit from apple? Wouldn't mind having a look. It might make a bit more sense to me.

The only other thing I'd suggest is making sure that the parts you want in the photo are there but leave extra space at the edges(make a border around the print if you have to)?

Found that link. And this from it:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61366

To crop a photo:

Cropping allows you to edit a photo by selecting only the portion you like. You can also use cropping to improve a photo's composition. The ratio of width to height in photographic prints is known as the aspect ratio. The aspect ratio is important to know when cropping because when ordering prints or a book, photos must match the required aspect ratio or they may be cropped.

1. Select the photo you want to crop.
  2. Click the Edit button.
  3. Position the arrow pointer at one corner of the area you want to select, then drag to enclose the desired area. To constrain your selection to a specific size ratio, choose a ratio from the Constrain pop-up menu before dragging to enclose the desired area. If you plan to use the photo in a book, choose 4x3. If you're ordering larger prints, choose the appropriate size (5 x 7 or 8 x 10) to constrain the image.
  4. Click the Crop icon in the Edit pane.
Not having a Mac I can't check but it would seem that you can choose the ration to crop to (based on their table given) and drag the marquee to crop to suit.

350D is an APS (C) sensor and that's 3:2. That site says that most DSLR's are 4:3 but it's wrong. Most are 3:2. The Olympus and new Leica's are 4:3. But most of the others on the market aren't.

Yet.

I agree 100% with the above but no matter what constraint i pick from the print options(even the biggest option....my photos are still too big and some of the shot gets left out. The only option i can pick to get all the shot in is 16 x 9 (HD) but sure they don't actually print in this size:confused:

Sorry for wrecking your head dude, don't worry bout it!!!!

what a pain in the arse. seemingly i've given you too much rep lately but i'll get yu again. cheers for the advice,etc.

Sadly, this sort of problem is what's known as "fun" these days.

Whoop de doo!

Hmmm, I see. maybe I can explain this better. Lets say you wanted to have a photo exhibition and you wanted all your shots the same size, for example 8 x 12 or whatever the standard size (large) would be. Maybe some of your shots will need to be cropped and some won't.

Here's my question, regardless of the crop or non crop, how can you ensure that all the shots can be printed to the same size on paper, eg 8 x 12?

you'll always have detail cropped out in shop-printed shots, they never just crop to the edge of the frame.

Resize/Crop to exactly that size (8x12) in iPhoto. You'll probably end up losing some of the picture but if the pic you send to them is in 8x12 already, then they won't have to cut any of it off.

But you'll definitely lose some of the picture at that ratio using a 350D. It's an odd size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back