Pre release album Gigs (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
Going to Spiritualized next week. Have a sinking feeling that its going to be full of songs from the yet-to-be-released forthcoming new album. Two or three new ones is fine, but any more than that.... groan!

Tindersticks did this years ago, and after 30 minutes the polite muted applause turned into something a little more hostile. Can't imagine Jason will give a shag though.

I like a band to play new stuff, I find it much more exciting than a set load of stuff I already know. Even more so if I've seen the band before, fuck the hits

It's not that I just want to hear the hits - feck that. I'd much rather a setlist of album tracks they don't usually play/ haven't played in years. One or two surprises is always nice, like a cover version, cause I'm a sucker for that! And yes, 2-3 new ones is great - I just don't want to hear six or seven tracks in a row that I don't recognise.

I often wonder about the set-lists bands choose, and shake my head at all the just ok mid-tempo tracks that are given preference over other superior ones. I know they have to give the new stuff an airing, but release the album before the tour starts!!

Which gig? I don't remember ever seeing Tindersticks with anything less than an adoring crowd.

Ah it was at Liss Ard festival years ago. The crowd were relatively adoring, but patience was wearing very thin, after about 7 new tracks in a row. At one stage, drops of rain were coming throught the tent roof, and he said "this is Raindrops - like Tiny Tears". The crowd cheered "at Last". But he was just kidding, and played another new one. The new stuff was probably from Curtains, which was subsequently released to great reviews, but when you don't know them, its not the same...

The new stuff was probably from Curtains, which was subsequently released to great reviews, but when you don't know them, its not the same...

I get where you're coming from but I'm with Shaney here, I like hearing some old favourites but love hearing new stuff. Unless it's shit of course!

The Other Voices Spiritualized gig was mostly new songs, so i reckon this gig will be full of it too. Which is a shame cause i don't think much of the new song or the last album or 2.

Going to Spiritualized next week. Have a sinking feeling that its going to be full of songs from the yet-to-be-released forthcoming new album. Two or three new ones is fine, but any more than that.... groan!

Tindersticks did this years ago, and after 30 minutes the polite muted applause turned into something a little more hostile. Can't imagine Jason will give a shag though.
fuck i hope not. i'm seeing them in london tonight

On the plus side most of the new songs seem to be long and repetitive (though I liked what I've heard thus far) so maybe it won't be too bad. By the 5th minute of that Hey Jane song sure you may as well have heard it 100 times before.

I despise hearing new songs at gigs, mind. At least Neil Young had the good grace to play Tonight's The Night twice over when he was debuting it...

saw iron maiden at the point a few years ago and they played their latest album A matter of Life and Death from start to finish. That show sucked balls and i'd already heard the album.

having said that, it was always good hearing sonic youth playing whatever album they'd just brought out

All Sonic Youth gigs seem to be whatever record they have out at the time in it's entirity affairs, Saw Murray street twice and Sonic Nurse twice with a smattering of old songs and thoroughly enjoyed each gig. If it's a pre release gig in a small venue grand play the new record by all means. Saw Radiohead do rake loads of In Rainbows prior to it's release at a huge outdoor thing and even though I ended up liking the record I thought the gig was fairly shite, utterly middling really there is a size of venue/audiences knowledege of the material ratio that someone should work out. So for example band has 5 albums and are playing to 10,000 people, stick to the hits, same band in venue which holds 500 people play whatever you like buddy.

so yeah, Spiritualized played mostly stuff off the new album last night. Or at least stuff I didn't know (I'm not that familiar with the last two albums). Was a good gig all the same. Pretty stripped down. Just guitars, drums, bass, keys and two backing singers. The handful of tracks from Ladies & Gentlemen... and Pure Phase they played went down a storm.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back