Post Punk thread (2 Viewers)

I would have said Memorabilia was SC sounding like CV rather than the other way around.
You're overthinking this. When I said "sounds like" I didn't mean ripping off.

But both were drinking from the same water.
exactly!

Did you ever see the video of Marc Almond doing vocals for Coil while they covered themselves in barbed wire and pissed on each other? Nick Cave walks out halfway through and honestly I don’t blame him. Very much of its time (Coil got much, much better.)

Video doesn’t seem to be online anymore. Oh well!
lol no

I would have said Memorabilia was SC sounding like CV rather than the other way around. But both were drinking from the same water. Did you ever see the video of Marc Almond doing vocals for Coil while they covered themselves in barbed wire and pissed on each other? Nick Cave walks out halfway through and honestly I don’t blame him. Very much of its time (Coil got much, much better.)

Video doesn’t seem to be online anymore. Oh well!
That would have been awesome!
I did see the COIL cover of Tainted Love video with Marc as the angel of death, it was a benefit for Terrence Higgins Trust.

Sleazy Christoperson was part of Hipgnosis and after that directed videos for people like McCartney.
Which is by far the most surprising I know about him.

Sleazy Christoperson was part of Hipgnosis and after that directed videos for people like McCartney.
Which is by far the most surprising I know about him.
He funded his recreational habits and Coil (and later John Balance’s care) with the video directing gig. There’s some great photos in The Universe Is A Haunted House book that came out last year, including one of him with Hanson. There was a playlist on YouTube of all his videos but I’d say it needs to be updated again as particular videos come and go off that site.

I only have Microphonies by Cabaret Voltaire from 1984. Not a dud track on it. Hard to pick just one track from it, but 'Blue Heat' will do.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

h
It was always just a matter of time before the post punk thread would be hi-jacked by the Coil and Cabaret Voltaire fanboys.

Time to balance things back a bit.

'Navvy' by Pere Ubu, from 'Dub Housing', 1978. One of the greatest moments in rock surely.

Same track live from Malmo, 2011:

I've never actually owned a COIL record. I like their more 'industrial' sounding things but the song writing orientated material isn't really something I'd listen to more than a few times. for whatever reason it doesn't click with me.
same feeling about Neubauten, I got Tabula Rasa when it came out in 1993 and didn't like it at all.
but the albums before that are stellar.

a lot of bands roughly in this neck of the woods I haven't much concern for whatever they are trying to communicate. e.g. TG could have ditched Gen and it wouldn't been a huge loss.

my cut off point with C.V. would be the mid 80's. Cabaret Voltaire really lost me when they went in the club music direction.
some stuff they did about 1990 is lightweight pop house that anyone could have done.

post script:
I thought I posted the above about 1 am last night but I fell asleep and obviously didn't so there been a few posts since.

Blue Heat was cool. I have all the C.V. albums before Micro-phonies but looks like I need to go on a bit further yet

I saw UBU at the Grand Social a couple of years back which was great (except they had no theremin!) and regret not going to Whelan's to see them in 2014 (?) but the late 80's early 90's albums are so boring it took me a long time to realise Thomas turned things around in a big way after (typical impression for folks my age).

AS MERCENARIAS - Panico (1986. Sao Paulo band)

although latecomers to post punk this band's two LP's (from 86 + 87 the next one after this was on EMI) are amazing. one brilliant song after another. better even than similar sounding bands like Bush Tetras, Au Pairs or Delta 5.
Panico live on TV

Sante Igreja (1986)

there is a CD comp. on Soul Jazz of tracks from both LP's BUT for some reason despite lasting only 32 odd minutes it only has 16 of the 22 tracks...

h

Time to balance things back a bit.

'Navvy' by Pere Ubu, from 'Dub Housing', 1978. One of the greatest moments in rock surely.

Same track live from Malmo, 2011:

I’ve said it before around here but I cannot stand Thomas’s voice - he always sounds like he’s been voiced by Jim Henson. That said, the first couple of the Pere Ubu singles (30 Seconds, Heart of Darkness) are immensely good, some of the best songs ever. Everything else I’ve heard (I used to have the Datapanik box and some of the 90s LPs) was pure guff. So basically the first half of the Terminal Tower compilation is all I like.

I’ve said it before around here but I cannot stand Thomas’s voice - he always sounds like he’s been voiced by Jim Henson. That said, the first couple of the Pere Ubu singles (30 Seconds, Heart of Darkness) are immensely good, some of the best songs ever. Everything else I’ve heard (I used to have the Datapanik box and some of the 90s LPs) was pure guff. So basically the first half of the Terminal Tower compilation is all I like.
the first album is great. love every moment of it.

AS MERCENARIAS - Panico (1986. Sao Paulo band)

although latecomers to post punk this band's two LP's (from 86 + 87 the next one after this was on EMI) are amazing. one brilliant song after another. better even than similar sounding bands like Bush Tetras, Au Pairs or Delta 5.
Panico live on TV

Sante Igreja (1986)

there is a CD comp. on Soul Jazz of tracks from both LP's BUT for some reason despite lasting only 32 odd minutes it only has 16 of the 22 tracks...
have this on vinyl. Spun it some last year.

Let's get those tracks up in here:

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo - Pere Ubu, 1975

Final Solution - Pere Ubu, 1976

'Heart of Darkness' - Pere Ubu, 1975

Mission of Burma's cover of Heart of Darkness is class. From 1980. PLAY VERY LOUD. Roger Miller is a real guitar god. His 90s solo album Elemental Guitar is deadly.

Terminal Tower, The Modern Dance and Dub Housing are all fantastic.

I saw UBU at the Grand Social a couple of years back which was great (except they had no theremin!) and regret not going to Whelan's to see them in 2014 (?) but the late 80's early 90's albums are so boring it took me a long time to realise Thomas turned things around in a big way after (typical impression for folks my age).
Saw Pere Ubu with Thomas in fantastic hectoring form at The Village.

The record I bought at that show The Lady From Shanghai is pretty cool... they are sort of like The Fall in that if you dig them they are probably worth investigating fully. Chris Cutler drums with them now so will be waiting anxiously to see them if he's still on stick duty.

The Lady from Shanghai

Great Orson Welles flick from 1947. Highly recommended. Welles - a man of ideas just like the men of Pere Ubu.

'Caligari's Mirror' from Dub Housing, 1978.

'Chinese Radiation' from The Modern Dance, 1978.

Mayo Thompson joined in 1980 for their fourth album... more on him later.

really liked BURMA's cover. actually I could never get M.o.B. as their intricate guitars strike me as being a very early precursor a lot of later things I don't like like like math rock or Fugazi style emo

EDIT: considering Thomas named UBU after a character in a proto absurdist play based on Alfred Jarry and his teenage buddies satirising MacBeth, he really prefers US film noir.

actually the first line of Ubu Roi is ''Merde!''. WB Yeats was at the premiere in Paris and wrote about joining in the riot that broke out

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back