Planetary Assault Systems, Ancient Methods @ DEAF (25.10.09) (2 Viewers)

Did you hear the single 'Temporary Suspension'? That's definitely a keeper - is a lot closer the Coad Warrior series you mentioned.
There is 'familiarity' about some of the the new album alright - but holy shit, watch the likes of 'Whodoo' played in a club!! Yes, it is more 'dj friendly' than anything on the face of it, but you'd be hard pushed to find much current techno that gets people reacting like that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fARyP008hM4

TS is okay - nothing I've never heard before though going right back to Hood and Phylyps Trak and up to Slaters own Coad Warriors records. I'm not denying this is decent club music. Just not worthy of the gushing reviews that greeted its arrival.
What guts me is that it's a sad reflection of the state of techno that an album of competent club tracks is hailed as something amazing. Same old sounds, same old effects, same old riffs. It works but it could have been released 10 years ago and would still have been just good in the face of what was coming out at the time (Electric Deluxe, Surgeon, Hawtin etC).
What a track does in a club is not really a good reflection of its value either.

Anyway, it'll do the business live and Ancient Methods will be worth a look.

What guts me is that it's a sad reflection of the state of techno that an album of competent club tracks is hailed as something amazing.

That's a point alright. Some records getting glowing reviews nowadays is more an indictment of how thin on the ground good techno is than anything else. Funnily enough though if you hear some of the most hyped of newer acts like Dettmann et al - it is all a complete throwback to nineties UK techno. The Deuce 12" Dettmann did with Shed recently contains pretty much a straight rip of a Coad Warrior track and of an old Regis one. I guess techno has just rewound itself again.. as it has done for years.

What a track does in a club is not really a good reflection of its value either.

When it's designed purely for a club then it kind of is. Mills, Hood, Slater etc. have been doing it most of their careers - tracks that do what they say on the tin.. or something like that!
Let's face it, techno defined itself a long time ago, but at the same time it's not just going to curl up and die now just because a lot of it can't be as innovative as it once was.
Put it this way, Chris McCormack (who is pretty much one of the last living techno creatures on earth) said he felt "jealous" when he heard the new PAS album. The techno scene is different nowadays, I guess some of us have different philosophies on what's good and bad :) It's more often about what works best, and what doesn't.

Anyway, it'll do the business live and Ancient Methods will be worth a look.

Nice one. We feel these two acts are a lot of what's good and relevant about techno in 2009. First PAS live set here and AM's debut too.

Earwiggle, agree with everything you say. And thanks for giving me an excuse to post a Chris McCormack track!!!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOwRIbI7HZQ"]YouTube - Space DJz - AK47 (Chris McCormack RMX)[/ame]

Yupe sorry obviously vast majority of dance music is obviously in four four time - I guess it was a lot of the more monotonous end of ware house techno (for want of a better word) that got to me around that time - In1994/5 I'd have been checking out Dan Curtain and the likes - more percusively and melodically interesting to my way of thinking back then- any how to 2009 - anyone digging the Toddla T fabric 47 mix - how can one have too much auto tune i ask ya - t'aint possible

is it?

kp

really?! thought chris had packed techno production in yrs ago...
He's released three albums worth of back catalogue stuff (Exit to Extinction I, II and III) over the last year but i don't think he's released anything new since his very public retirement!

Fuck it, nothing beats this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

my copy went missing sometime around '97

shitpipe I think that's the most accurate review I've read yet!

American apparel shop - spot on!

Mind you I did like his (somebody's) sampling of nightmare's on wax's ancient school classic "I'm for real" near the end of that mix...

(which in it self seems to illustrate there were really interesting directions that techno and, indeed, Nightmare's on wax could have gone in right back in 1990 - but mostly didn't!)

kp

He's released three albums worth of back catalogue stuff (Exit to Extinction I, II and III) over the last year but i don't think he's released anything new since his very public retirement!

He released an 'Exit To Extinction' 12" to coincide with the first volume of it, but it was quite low key really, partly due to the rubbish distributor he was using. Unfortunately he had to stop releasing due to the diminishing rewards in putting out records, as he is very much a guy that'll give it all the time he has in the world, or else not bother at all.
He still makes some bits and pieces but more of his output at the moment is library music and other music for TV.
The last volume of Exit To Extinction was up for free download here:
http://www.blacklistedmastering.co.uk/article04.htm

1993 - see, that's kinda what I'm talking about. I remember picking up Planetary Funk vol.1 in Comet when it came out. There was nothing else like it at the time.
Labels like Missile and Synewave didn't really even start til the following year.

It's always going to be hard to be able to better tracks like 'In From The Night' - is mad to think it was made that long ago.
Never really made the connection between PAS and Missile but thinking about it, a lot of that early Fred stuff probably picked up a few tips alright..

Good choice!!
Even better one - my favourite ever techno tune. I've listened to this 100s of times and it still gives me goosebumps! The way it comes back in after the breakdown is unreal.

Finished poster design:

PAS2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back